Help me recover Please....(2 Drive Failure)

I had an unraid server for a few years(starting in 2011),  all my home media.

I knew just enough, and still do. :) 

I was bad with cooling, I swapped HDD's a lot, got lazy let 2 die at the same time.

It has been a few years now. I Think My Parity was 4 or 6gb,  I tried a few years back to plug my parity drive into a linux build, it took forever for it to just read it, so I gave up.

I think I only have like 100mb of music I am hoping is on one of these drives, it would be cool to recover the tv episodes and movies, on the other drives, SO....

What is the current best way to view and copy files from these drives?  I may be on Unraid 4 or 5, it has been a long time.

Can you point me to an article or a video?

If it can be done in windows, that would be ideal, but I can dual boot linux again if needed...

I appreciate you taking the time to read this and help me.

It was a fun hobby back in the day, but I just stream stuff now.  I am selling my place and buying an RV or Saillboat, so it would be cool to recover as much as possible I suppose, what are HDD's up to now? Oh wow, only 8 ot 9tb still.

Thanks so much,

Brandon

20220423_095406.jpg

Edited by abuzzbuzz
  • abuzzbuzz changed the title to Help me recover Please....(2 Drive Failure)
23 minutes ago, abuzzbuzz said:

I had an unraid server for a few years(starting in 2011),  all my home media.

I knew just enough, and still do. :) 

I was bad with cooling, I swapped HDD's a lot, got lazy let 2 die at the same time.

It has been a few years now. I Think My Parity was 4 or 6gb,  I tried a few years back to plug my parity drive into a linux build, it took forever for it to just read it, so I gave up.

I think I only have like 100mb of music I am hoping is on one of these drives, it would be cool to recover the tv episodes and movies, on the other drives, SO....

What is the current best way to view and copy files from these drives?  I may be on Unraid 4 or 5, it has been a long time.

Can you point me to an article or a video?

If it can be done in windows, that would be ideal, but I can dual boot linux again if needed...

I appreciate you taking the time to read this and help me.

It was a fun hobby back in the day, but I just stream stuff now.  I am selling my place and buying an RV or Saillboat, so it would be cool to recover as much as possible I suppose, what are HDD's up to now? Oh wow, only 8 ot 9tb still.

Thanks so much,

Brandon

20220423_095406.jpg

lolz, I asked 2 years ago, someone has to help me now :)

I have that same case, looks pretty much the same too 😆 I've had it for over 20 years now, most recently it was pulling duty as a windows media center pc living in a closet, retired it 2 weeks ago

As for your drives, should be able to mount them in any *nix distro if they're still alive

Edited by Michael_P
41 minutes ago, abuzzbuzz said:

Parity was 4 or 6gb,  I tried a few years back to plug my parity drive into a linux build,

Don't bother. The parity drive doesn't hold any data. It only holds the missing part of the equation made by datadrive1 + datadrive2 +datadrive3 etc. You can only solve for one missing disk at a time, all the other data drives must be good for the parity drive to mean anything. You said you had 2 bad drives, so parity is worthless. Concentrate on reading the remaining data drives.