Setup multiple cache pools (path /mnt/cache/appdata/)

Hi All

I am finally going to setup multiple cache pools! 🙂

And I am wondering how to go about it in the right way?

Current setup: One cache drive called "cache"

Future setup; Having 3 cache drives - cache_apps / cache_vms / cache_shares

• Would I have to manually go and change all my dockers from /mnt/cache/appdata/ --> /mnt/user/appdata/ before renaming my existing cache drive?
  • Would it be best to move all things back to the array (Change prefer: Cache --> Yes : Cache) and then setup all my cache drives?
    • (The system files and the Docker image files and the Appdate would be keept on the existing cache drive!)

I have all my Media dockers on my current cache drive and moving all these small files would take days!

Would love to just rename the current cache drive to cache_apps and move the rest to the other cache drives?

I might me overthinking this LOL

Did see the video about multiple pools but in that they where all empty

49 minutes ago, casperse said:

Would I have to manually go and change all my dockers from /mnt/cache/appdata/ --> /mnt/user/appdata/ before renaming my existing cache drive?

Those 2 paths are actually more or less identical.  The first is referring to a share on the cache drive and the second is referring to a share on all drives including the cache.

You'd want to stop all the running containers, and edit them to be /mnt/cache_apps/appdata to refer to the correct pool (for anything that had /mnt/cache/appdata).  And also set the appdata share to use cache_apps.  No need to change /mnt/user/appdata to refer to anything else.

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, trurl said:

attach diagnostics to your NEXT post in this thread

Thanks trurl

I found a post saying I should reboot again, but that didnt help.

I then removed the new cache drive it was empty anyway, and then I started without the new cache and stopped and added it again and now its active!

But I have a question , very afraid to mess up my existing Appdata on my existing cache drive!

If I rename my existing cache to a new name cache_appdata and then start the Docker service!

Whar will happen to all the paths that are assigned to the currunt path 

On 4/24/2022 at 4:55 PM, Squid said:

Those 2 paths are actually more or less identical.  The first is referring to a share on the cache drive and the second is referring to a share on all drives including the cache.

You'd want to stop all the running containers, and edit them to be /mnt/cache_apps/appdata to refer to the correct pool (for anything that had /mnt/cache/appdata).  And also set the appdata share to use cache_apps.  No need to change /mnt/user/appdata to refer to anything else.

So its actually best and recommended to just use the default /mnt/user/appdata and set prefer Cache!
And NOT like me and others to have set it manually on each docker to use the /mnt/cache/appdata - because when adding pools and renaming you have to change the paths on all dockers!

35 minutes ago, casperse said:

So its actually best and recommended to just use the default /mnt/user/appdata and set prefer Cache!
And NOT like me and others to have set it manually on each docker to use the /mnt/cache/appdata - because when adding pools and renaming you have to change the paths on all dockers!

Going via the User Share does have the advantage that it is independent of where the share files are located on the drives.    However many people have found they get better performance if they by-pass the User Share system and go directly to the physical device/pool.  

You have to decide which matters most to you, the convenience of using the User Share v the possible speed advantage of going direct.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, casperse said:

If I rename my existing cache to a new name cache_appdata and then start the Docker service!

Whar will happen to all the paths that are assigned to the currunt path 

The unchanged paths would be created again, but since there is nothing mounted at that path, they would be in rootfs, the RAM reserved for the OS. Of course, RAM doesn't survive reboot, and if you fill rootfs the OS can't work with its own files anymore and all hell breaks loose.

THANKS again! - I decided to change every path to get the better performance and everything worked great!
Also updated plugins to do appdata backup etc.... so everything was running just fine and I wanted to check files on my new cache drive

But this time it was EMPTY! and in my main view I had this:

(This was not present when running the new cache drive at start?)

image.thumb.png.7997b03bb3674049f42d4d5c3b8f7252.png

Somehow my new cache drive was in both places?

Afraid that I had now lost all my cache files I did a reboot and everything is back again?

I upgraded to rc5 yesterday, not sure this is an error or something else?

Edited by casperse