WIndows 10VM 11th gen (11500) IGD pasthrough

Hi All,

hoping someone can assist, i have been following through some of the others posts about this issue, and think i have it right, but i could be wrong. I am also uncertain if this should be in the prerelease section instead, as i am running 6.10RC4.

Simply put, i have a requirement to have a Win10 VM and would like to passthrough the I1th Gen Intel Graphics.

• Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Master, latest BIOS, 11500 CPU
  • BIOS has CSM disabled, VT-d enabled.
  • IOMMU group shows only IGD on 00:02.0 (8086:4c8a) and is bound to vfio, and logs shows this is successful on boot.
  • Unraid 6.10 RC4
  • no *GPU plugins installed, and never have on this build
  • Win10 21H2 with 1.215-2 virt drivers.

I can create the VM, i440FX 6.2 type with OVMF BIOS with VNC and enable RDP etc. Shut it down, change the graphics from VNC to Intel UHD 750 and turn it back on. At this point everything seems to be going well, however once the drivers are installed either from Windows Update or are installed using the latest driver from Intel's site, device manager shows Error 43 and the device is stopped.

If I disable the device in device manager I can reboot the machine, but if I don't disable the device, it wont boot again. If I remove the IGD and change back to VNC, it will boot happily and I can access everything, but as soon as I put the IGD back on it will not boot again (I could force the driver removal to at least get back in but seems pointless).

I saw in lots of other posts references to changing the syslinux file with boot strings (?(sorry, I know Windows inside and out, but not this kinda stuff in Linux)) but that all seems to be 6.9 related. I do see some errors in the QEMU log, but uncertain if they are actually a problem. specifically "Failed to mmap 0000:00:02.0 BAR 2. Performance may be slow" and complaining about the ROM contents cannot be read. I assume thats not a problem for an IGD?

Have I missed something? Is 11th gen just not supported yet? Is there anyone out there who can point me in the right direction?

image.thumb.png.245846a49219a68d6d52450cde5029aa.png

image.thumb.png.018fd108fcd4a5f1868b15daaf975eec.png

2 hours ago, radiolex said:

Have the exact same issue with the same chip. Any ideas?

hmm i replied earlier, but the post isn't here.

anyways, no not really. I did find the issue with the "Failed to mmap 0000:00:02.0 BAR 2" error message. Its likely the same issue you have based on what I found when looking it up, but basically issue "cat /proc/iomem" on a terminal on unraid and look for that address range. In my case that range had efifb running in it, which it cant do with pass through working.

So adding video=efifb:off to the syslinux boot got rid of that error and I thought I had it fixed as I could install the driver in windows (had to install it when had both VNC and the Intel graphics assigned to the VM). So I could get the device to show active and ok in Windows at install, but upon a reboot the VM would lock up, crash and go into boot repair mode. Again removing the Intel graphics lets it boot fine. Tried a couple different versions of the Intel drivers, tried numerous different combinations of BIOS and i1440 and Q35 VM types to no avail.

Your boot should look like the below if this is the only modification you have made and run Unraid with the default boot config. Note I only have the one GPU in my system and it was assigned to the Unraid OS, and i wanted to assign the whole thing to the VM.

kernel /bzimage
append initrd=/bzroot video=efifb:off

If anyone can shed any light on getting this to work or even a "it wont work because of this", I would be forever grateful. At this point seems like I will just need to get a video card for the VM as I need either Intel or Nvidia hardware decoding/encoding in that VM. I could then use the internal GPU for my dockers but was hoping to have the dedicated GPU for docker and Intel for the VM.

Edited by BM118