(SOLVED) Red X on one drive

Go to solution Solved by stor44,

Hi there. Got an alert from my unraid server today, one of the drive has a red X. I've attached the diagnostics

Found this in the SMART report for the failed drive:

SATA Phy Event Counters (GP Log 0x11)
ID      Size     Value  Description
0x000a  2            1  Device-to-host register FISes sent due to a COMRESET
0x0001  2            0  Command failed due to ICRC error
0x0003  2            0  R_ERR response for device-to-host data FIS
0x0004  2            0  R_ERR response for host-to-device data FIS
0x0006  2            0  R_ERR response for device-to-host non-data FIS
0x0007  2            0  R_ERR response for host-to-device non-data FIS

Most of my unRAID problems have been bad cables or connections, so I guess it could be another one? At what point is it a bad controller?

Thanks for any help.

tower-diagnostics-20220427-2132.zip

Edited by stor44
connected all 3 power connections on the MB
51 minutes ago, stor44 said:

Most of my unRAID problems have been bad cables or connections, so I guess it could be another one? At what point is it a bad controller?

I'm no expert, but I think you're experiencing your first drive failure. My best advice is to assume the drive is dead (might be an alright drive for stuff later).

Do you have a backup?

I'm not sure why you suspect your drive controller. I've actually had/proved one of those (an HDD controller failure, on the MB), but it didn't look anything like what you're describing.

Drive failures suck!... Take your time. Drive failure doesn't mean data failure. (That's why we use Unraid, yes?)

People more helpful than me will probably check in before I post My response.

Mr. Grey

Thanks so much MrGrey and JorgeB. Yes, I have a backup of my important data on another system.

I also clearly have the memory of a goldfish, because Jorge you helped me with a similar (same?) issue with the same drive in March here:

So I have now swapped a new SATA cable for that drive, and followed the wiki instructions "Rebuilding a drive onto itself", so the rebuild is now running.

Should be fine now, thanks again! I'll mark this as solved once the parity-sync/rebuild is completed.

• stor44 changed the title to (SOLVED) Red X on one drive
  • stor44 changed the title to Red X on one drive (not solved after all)

Thank you, I've now double-checked all my power connectors. I have a Corsair AX860i power supply from Jan 2014. I don't have any splitters.

This power supply has a self-test switch, so I unplugged everything and tested it, green light says it's good.

FWIW, I'm using 3 x 6pin cables into the "PERIPHERAL & SATA" ports, and 3 x 8pin cables into the "6+2 PCI-E & 4+4 CPU" ports. I've always used the bottom row, ports 4 5 6 on each kind, leaving room on top for more cables later.

As an experiment, I moved them into the top ports, 1 2 3 on each. But the power supply showed a red light when I pressed the power button on my case and the computer didn't boot.

-CP-9020037-NA-Gallery-AX860i-05.png

I've now moved them back into the bottom row, and unRAID is booted and I'm running a parity sync to rebuild Drive 5 which is now good again.

Also, it seems I was using some generic SATA power cables. I've now swapped in the original power cables that came with this PSU. They have text on them that says "TXM/HX/AXi Only". Maybe that will help if there is some difference in the cables.

4 hours ago, stor44 said:

Also, it seems I was using some generic SATA power cables. I've now swapped in the original power cables that came with this PSU. They have text on them that says "TXM/HX/AXi Only". Maybe that will help if there is some difference in the cables.

It seems you got EXTREMELY lucky. Most of the time when someone posts with a similar situation, it's to figure out why all of their drives aren't recognized any more, because they didn't realize modular cables are seldom interchangeable, Many times it will attempt to power up and blow the circuit boards out on all the attached drives.

5 hours ago, JonathanM said:

It seems you got EXTREMELY lucky. Most of the time when someone posts with a similar situation, it's to figure out why all of their drives aren't recognized any more, because they didn't realize modular cables are seldom interchangeable, Many times it will attempt to power up and blow the circuit boards out on all the attached drives.

Yikes. Well that's good to know, I'd never even heard of that.

4 hours left on my current rebuild, but Drive 3 has a Red X again now, and Disk 4 has some errors.

Thanks for any further ideas.

tower-diagnostics-20220501-0428.zip

So I bought and installed a Corsair RM850X power supply. I removed all the existing power cables and used only the new ones that came with it to connect the motherboard and peripherals and drives.

Unfortunately, unRAID won't boot with this new power supply, so far anyway. I connected the power plug to my UPS, flipped the power switch on the PSU to the On position, and the lights on my motherboard come on. Then I press the power button my PC. My CPU cooler fans spin for a moment but then stop and the PC doesn't boot.

I tried it a few times, unplugging things and re-plugging, no luck. I then removed everything and did the paper clip test, the PSU comes on, its fan spins, no problem. So I don't think it's faulty? It has a 2021 date on the box.

For now, I've removed it and put the AX860i PSU back in and now unRAID is up and running. Still have a Red X on Disk 3, but I'd like to sort out this power issue before running another parity sync.

Thanks for any help.

• Solution

Update. I'm up and running with the new power supply and have completed a parity-sync rebuilding Drive 3 to itself, and things seem back to normal.

I found a solution in ASUS's help pages here, in Step 1 C. Turns out my motherboard has 3 power connections. The 24 pin, an 8 pin and an extra 4 pin. I didn't have the 4 pin connected! Fortunately the new PSU came with a two cables that have 8 pin connectors which split into 2 x 4 pins on one end. The AX860i does not seem to have those, but maybe I lost them at some point.

The parity sync completed without errors, and hopefully I've seen my last Red X for a while.

Thanks as always for your patience and advice, I really appreciate it.

• stor44 changed the title to (SOLVED) Red X on one drive