Recommended UPS

boardy

Hi everyone, 

I am looking at getting a UPS for my UnRAID server but having difficulty finding one. I'm looking for one that is compatible with UnRAID in the aim of shutting it down cleanly in the event of a power outage. I'm not too fussed about leaving it running for a long period of time on battery so nothing expensive, looking around £200ish if possible. 

The ones that I've found though have software which means the functionality for allowing safe shutdown is only Windows compatible - and presumably a Windows VM running on UnRAID wouldn't work. 

Can anyone recommend something?

20 minutes ago, boardy said:

Can anyone recommend something?

Most APC and CyberPower UPS units work with unRAID natively.  I am using the APC Back-Ups Pro 1000S (1000 VA/600 W).  It works great and has gracefully shut down my unRAID server during a couple of power outages.

Of course the VA/W rating you need in a UPS is dependent upon your unRAID server specs.

I don't know what it might cost in the UK but I got mine for about US$140 a couple of years ago. 

The software is just for setup and monitoring on a Windows PC.  It is not required for the unit to function in unRAID.  

image.thumb.png.29d8b540d3832596cc99f59f9e0a3ce8.png

Edited by Hoopster
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Hoopster,

That's interesting to know. I found an APC UPS on Amazon and asked the question there and APC responded themselves saying it only supports Windows, maybe they were just referring to the software for setting up. 

I think I'll get the APC one I found on Amazon then and hope that does the trick. 

Thanks for your help. 

24 minutes ago, boardy said:

APC responded themselves saying it only supports Windows, maybe they were just referring to the software for setting up

Yes, they were referring to the software.  You don't need any APC software for unRAID.  Just configure it as desired in Settings --> UPS Settings.

• Like 1
On 4/28/2022 at 12:01 PM, Hoopster said:

Most APC and CyberPower UPS units work with unRAID natively.  I am using the APC Back-Ups Pro 1000S (1000 VA/600 W).  It works great and has gracefully shut down my unRAID server during a couple of power outages.

I have the 1350VA/810W version of this model.  I cannot speak more highly of it.  Plug and play with Unraid, handles both power loss and unstable voltages perfectly.  My server coasts along most times at 60-70W of power draw, and could potentially get a bit over an hour of run time (though best practice is never run more than 50% battery capacity before shut down).