Which UPS to get for my setup

Hello All, I had a power outage recently which affected my Unraid system, forcing me to do a parity check when power returned.

As you can imagine, this was a bit frustrating. 

I've been looking at Cyber Power VP1200EILCD or VP1600ELCD, however I noticed only the CP(e.g. CP1500EPFCLCD ) series has been confirmed to work based on these forums. Has anyone tested any of the VP series?

Any guarantees they would work well with Unraid - controlled shutdown upon power loss.

Think carefully about the Power Rating of the UPS that you buy.  The larger units use non-standard battery setups that can be expensive when the replacement time rolls around.

Consider how long you really need the server on the UPS.  Where I live, if the power is out for longer than ten  seconds, it will be out for hours!  So I have set up my UPS to shutdown after being on battery for 30 seconds. 

There is a second reason for this type setting.  If you have set up the UPS to shutdown when only (say) 10%  of battery reserve and you have a power outage that cause a UPS shutdown, it will take twelve to twenty-four hours to fully recharge the battery.  In the meantime, if you (or someone else) restarts the server and a second outage occurs, the battery may not have enough charge to complete the shutdown.

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...
On 4/29/2022 at 12:25 PM, SimonF said:

I am using Powercool Smart UPS 2000VA 2 x UK Plug 4 x IEC RJ45 x 2 USB LCD Display in the UK

image.thumb.png.234ed881651d1b4be130feae824516ad.png

How did you connect this? USB? I plugged it in via USB but my unraid is not seeing it.

19 minutes ago, Phatty said:

How did you connect this? USB? I plugged it in via USB but my unraid is not seeing it.

Yes USB cable.

Bus 002 Device 036: ID 0001:0000 Fry's Electronics ATCL FOR UPS

Driver

image.png

Also added additions to config file.

image.png