6.10.0-rc5 Disabled disk.

Titles says it all, updated to rc5 when it was released, yesterday everything was fine, today I got a disabled disk and unsure of Why. 
Smart looks good to me, but I´m no expert. 

Recently installed a lsi 9211-8i hba, flashed to it. 
I´ve never had a problem before installing the hba, but i don't know if its got something to do with it. 
Diag included. 

belk-diagnostics-20220429-2248.zip

3 minutes ago, francrouge said:

Got the samething with one drive

Envoyé de mon Pixel 5 en utilisant Tapatalk

Is it something with rc5?? 

I wanna start rebuild, but no point doin a rebuild on rc5 if its just gonna give me the same error again, best downgrade in that case.

Edited by BeardElk
1 minute ago, trurl said:

Since you rebooted before getting those diagnostics, syslog can't tell us anything about what happened before.

Disk2 is disabled, but syslog seemed to think emulated disk2 mounted, so no obvious reason to check filesystem. Start the array in normal mode and attach new diagnostics to your NEXT post in this thread.

Yeah I know I fucked up there.

I freaked out when I saw that disk2 was disabled and thought a reboot might fix it. 

belk-diagnostics-20220429-2331.zip

5 minutes ago, itimpi said:

You could always try the online documentations accessible via the ‘Manual’ link at the bottom of the GUI.   That topic is covered here

I've tried that, but I'm not sure what to search for. 
I've tried re-enable disk, that gave nothing. 
English is a second language for me and on things like this I just draw blanks. 

Thanks btw!!

Tho I'm still not sure what made unraid turn my disk disabled, so if someone could help, it would be much appreciated!!!!

Edited by BeardElk
Just now, BeardElk said:

I've tried that, but I'm not sure what to search for. 
I've tried re-enable disk, that gave nothing. 
English is a second language for me and on things like this I just draw blanks. 

Did you click on the link I gave which takes you directly to the relevant part.

16 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Did you click on the link I gave which takes you directly to the relevant part.

Yes, thats why I said thanks! 
I tried to explain why I haven't been able to find it when I searched for it.

But if you turn down your passive aggressiveness and read my whole post, I Said that I'm Still Unsure What Made Unraid Turn My Disk Disabled, So I Would Appreciate If Someone Could Help Me?????
I didnt ask for someone to roast me, I just asked for help.

Edited by BeardElk
6 minutes ago, BeardElk said:

Yes, thats why I said thanks! But if you turn down your passive agressivness and read my whole post, I Said that I'm Still Unsure What Made Unraid Turn My Disk Disabled, So I Would Appreciate If Someone Could Help Me?????
I didnt ask for someone to roast me, I asked for help.

We would need diagnostics taken before you rebooted to have any realistic chance of working out what caused the drive to be disabled.   All we know is that a write failed to get it to be disabled, but the reason the write failed is unknown.   Commonest causes are issues with the SATA or power cabling, but there are many other possibilities, with just one of them (probably the least common) being an issue with the drive itself.   I assumed at this point you therefore wanted to know how to clear the disabled state.

6 minutes ago, itimpi said:

We would need diagnostics taken before you rebooted to have any realistic chance of working out what caused the drive to be disabled.   All we know is that a write failed to get it to be disabled, but the reason the write failed is unknown.   Commonest causes are issues with the SATA or power cabling, but there are many other possibilities, with just one of them (probably the least common) being an issue with the drive itself.   I assumed at this point you therefore wanted to know how to clear the disabled state.

Thanks! 
I didn't get that! 
But I'll follow the link you gave me and rebuild the drive, and if(and hopefully not when) it happens again, I'll be sure to grab diag BEFORE i reboot my server. 
As I said, I freaked out and thought a reboot might fix it. 
Thanks any way! I now feel like I can move forward and rebuild the drive! 

I didn't wanna fuck up again (like when I rebooted) so I kinda wanted confirmation that I could start to rebuild the drive and not fuck anything else up. 

Edited by BeardElk

Unraid disables a disk in the array (whether parity or data) if a write to it fails for any reason. It does this because the failed write makes it out of sync with the rest of the array.

After a data disk is disabled, it is no longer used. Instead, it is emulated by the rest of the array.

Reads from the disk are emulated from the parity calculation by reading all other disks. Writes to the disk are emulated by updating parity.

Nothing has been written to the disk since it became disabled, but the initial failed write, and any subsequent writes, are emulated and can be read, and so can be recovered by rebuilding the disk.

3 minutes ago, trurl said:

Unraid disables a disk in the array (whether parity or data) if a write to it fails for any reason. It does this because the failed write makes it out of sync with the rest of the array.

After a data disk is disabled, it is no longer used. Instead, it is emulated by the rest of the array.

Reads from the disk are emulated from the parity calculation by reading all other disks. Writes to the disk are emulated by updating parity.

Nothing has been written to the disk since it became disabled, but the initial failed write, and any subsequent writes, are emulated and can be read, and so can be recovered by rebuilding the disk.

Thank you for your answer! 
I´ve read up on this stuff tonight so I'm sure I'll get ny data back, but I just didn't want to fuck something up by starting a rebuild, to then learn that you (awesome) guys could have figure out why it got disabled in the first place before I started the rebuild, etc etc. 

I´m also pretty sure I caused it myself. 
I have mounted a 40mm fan on my hba, and 2 days ago I wanted to make sure the fan were still spinning, so I "shoved" my hand into the case and sure enough, the fan was spinning. 

In the process I must have shifted the hba or the cables to the hba, causing the write error. 

I do have notifications set up, but for some reason (i've noticed stuff like this before) it most likely got reset when I upgraded to rc5. 

The config was right, just the options to notify were un checked, so i did not get a notification...... 

I've learned my leason, never shove your hand in a server thats powered on, and double check notifications after upgrade!!!

1 minute ago, trurl said:

If you still have some problem, rebuilding should make that apparent.

Safest approach would be to rebuild to a spare disk and keep the original just as it is in case there are problems with the rebuild.

Do you have backups of anything important and irreplaceable?

I had a backup, but yesterday i decided to move it off site (have had it on site but what good does that do in case of fire), and for some reason I felt it would be easier to just wipe it clean and move it, rather then just move it and go through the config to get it working...... 

Its a synology nas and the setup was hell. Dont hate me please.

Now I just got this error : 

"Unraid Status: 30-04-2022 01:20

Notice [BELK] - array health report [FAIL]
Array has 7 disks (including parity & cache)"

Diag included. 

I've Got 7 disk with my dual cache (1 parity 4 data 1 cache 1 cache backup (or whatever its called). 

Edit:

It's still rebuilding, don't know if its normal to get this error message.

belk-diagnostics-20220430-0122.zip

Edited by BeardElk
2 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

Normal.

Until it's done rebuilding, you are not protected from another failure.

Thanks! 

Archived notifications said [DISK INVALID] on disk 2 and started to think that it might be the cause. 

Edit: 

6u1Hkw.jpg

Sec edit: 
I just discovered that when I re-seated my hba and all the sata cables I swapped out hba 1-4/5-8 so its 5-8/1-4. 
I know thats not a problem with unraid, just wanted to point it out. that i'm aware of it.

Edited by BeardElk