I haven't even made it past my first install

Go to solution Solved by JonathanM,

wait some seconds, hit F5

ON slow computers it takes some time until the web interface gets ready. The more drives you have in your array, the longer it takes.

And server hardware is especially slow in the booting process.

I once had an old HP Server, that took up to 15mins to load.

Patience is the Admin's most valuable virtue 😘

Edited by MAM59

Here's where I'm at.

I made the USB, booted said USB (Unraid GUI mode), it did it's thing, login under root, it loads Firefox & I get the thing listed above. That's all I did.

I know nothing of Linux. That's the reason I chose the gui. As for log files there aren't any as far as I can see.

Edited by StreamingHawke

yeah, we have read that. but obviously "the gui" does not work for you (yet). So you need to follow the orders peple like JonathanM is giving you. Step by step he will guide you to find the problem and hopefully give advices how to fix them.

And, the first start is to boot without gui and write down or take a pic of what the console is telling you...

Also looks like you aren't getting an IP address. That's the most likely cause of this issue. I would try plugging in an ethernet cable to all of the ports on your server and see what it finds. Currently it looks like it's not selecting the expected ethernet port. The HPE servers can definitely be a little finicky in regards to their network ports so test all of them because you should be getting a dhcp address from your router, not the 169.x.x.x address.

On 4/30/2022 at 11:14 PM, JonathanM said:

Now type the letters df and enter.

My suspicion is that the USB isn't being detected properly for some reason.

How exactly did you prepare the flash drive, and what model is it?

I went to the Unraid site, downloaded the USB maker, ran it as admin, no special features. The USB is a Verbatim 64GB Store N Go.

What do I need to do to prepare my router? 

It's a Linksys WRT1900AC

Also, I can't login to the Unraid site for some reason, but I can access these forums.  Coincidence?

Again, I signed up, got my registration key, made the USB and here we are.

Edited by StreamingHawke
  • Solution
13 minutes ago, StreamingHawke said:

Also, I can't login to the Unraid site for some reason

If for some reason the USB Flash Creator tool cannot be used, or your USB flash device is not detected, it is possible to manually format and prepare a bootable USB flash device. Note: this method only works for devices 32GB and smaller.

Plug the USB flash device into your Mac or PC.

Format the device using the FAT32 file system. It must not be ex-FAT or NTFS.

Set the ‘volume label’ to UNRAID (case-sensitive, use all caps).

Go to the downloads page. to get the zip file for the release you want to use.

Choose a version and download it to a temporary location on your computer (e.g. a “downloads” folder).

Extract the contents of the newly downloaded ZIP file onto your USB flash device.

Browse to the USB flash device to see the newly extracted contents from your Mac or PC.

If you need to enable UEFI boot, rename the EFI- directory to EFI

Run the make bootable script appropriate to the OS you are using:Windows XP

double-click the make_bootable file.

Windows 7 or later

right-click the make_bootable file and select Run as Administrator.

Mac

double-click the file make_bootable_mac file and enter your admin password when prompted.

Linux:

copy make_bootable_linux file to hard drive

unmount (not eject) USB drive

run the following command from wherever you unpacked it to on your Linux system:

sudo bash ./make_bootable_linux

NOTE: during the process of running this script, the flash device may seem to disappear and reappear on your workstation a few times – this is expected behavior.