[SOLVED][5.0b6a] Windows 7 cannot connect to shares

I think this is a Windows 7 problem. I cannot connect to a test 5.0b6a unRAID server (named tower) from a Windows 7 machine. The tower server can be accessed from a OS X Mac and a Windows XP VM machine [network setting set as Bridged] running on the Windows 7 machine. Can access the control web page through http://tower. All share setting turned on. Was able to access all the shares when this test machine was running 4.7.

I have tried rebooting the Windows 7 machine. Tried both \\tower and \\[ip.address]. Turned off the firewall. Ran fix permissions script. Disabled IP6.

Any suggestions?

syslog.zip

What do you get if you ping the server from the windows box?

Pinging tower [192.168.1.25] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.25: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.25:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

Can you give us an ls -al at the top of the share?

You've tried multiple shares, no?

Oh, and by model I meant workgroup or AD? In Settings/SMB. What does your win7 box think it's in?

root@Tower:/mnt/user/testing# ls -al
total 0
drwxrwx--- 1 nobody users  72 2011-05-14 17:18 ./
drwxrwx--- 1 nobody users 248 2011-05-14 17:18 ../
drwxr-xr-x 1 root   root   48 2011-05-14 17:18 aaa/

Tried two shares, no luck. Cannot even access disk1, disk2 nor flash. However, I can access them from a Mac and a WinXP VM hosted on the Windows 7 machine which can't access any of the shares.

Oh, and by model I meant workgroup or AD? In Settings/SMB. What does your win7 box think it's in?

Using workgroup and both the Windows 7 machine and unRAID is under workgroup named "workgroup". It is not set as location master as my production machine is set as the master. But, I have tried it being set as location master and no luck.

Win7 does things differently when mounting network shares than earlier versions, so don't be surprised if it flushes out new issues. It seems to enumerate everything first, before returning result codes. That can mean it might object to something in the share and prevent access entirely, even if just because it has trouble making a preview for a file you might see in the window. I don't have it figured out but that seems to be the behavior.

What's aaa? Something you created from the command line? As far as I know if you create/change anything that result in non-nobody/users ownership you'll need to fix it or run Utils/New Permissions from the unRAID webgui.

Win7 does things differently when mounting network shares than earlier versions, so don't be surprised if it flushes out new issues. It seems to enumerate everything first, before returning result codes. That can mean it might object to something in the share and prevent access entirely, even if just because it has trouble making a preview for a file you might see in the window. I don't have it figured out but that seems to be the behavior.

What's aaa? Something you created from the command line? As far as I know if you create/change anything that result in non-nobody/users ownership you'll need to fix it or run Utils/New Permissions from the unRAID webgui.

aaa is just a test directory I created while I was telneted in. Ran New permissions script and got this.

root@Tower:/mnt/user/testing# ls -al
total 0
drwxrwx--- 1 nobody users  72 2011-05-14 17:18 ./
drwxrwx--- 1 nobody users 248 2011-05-14 17:18 ../
drwxrwx--- 1 nobody users  48 2011-05-14 17:18 aaa/

The funny thing is that this supposed to be fresh install with no additions and getting this basic problem off the bat seems to be really weird.

That didn't fix it, right?

What about from the win7 command line? net use \\tower\sharename

Edit:

And what do you get just from net use? Win can get confused if you have partial connections open when settings change. Not that you haven't rebooted enough already...

The funny thing is that this supposed to be fresh install with no additions and getting this basic problem off the bat seems to be really weird.

It is still a beta, and while I've seen similar things a couple times it's been elusive. When it happened to me I went in a circle of opening up permissions (user, mode, share, disk) and it finally went away. Then I couldn't replicate the problem reversing any of those to report it.

That didn't fix it, right?

What about from the win7 command line? net use \\tower\sharename

Edit:

And what do you get just from net use? Win can get confused if you have partial connections open when settings change. Not that you haven't rebooted enough already...

Rebooted unRAID server and Win7 machine.

net use \\tower\testing
System error 53 has occurred.

Network path was not found. 

Still no joy.

Edit : error 53 not 52, remote desktop refuses to copy/paste and had to manually type it. :(

Huh. #53: You were not connected because a duplicate name exists on the network. If joining a domain, go to System in Control Panel to change the computer name and try again. If joining a workgroup, choose another workgroup name.

Is that possible?

in your widows 7 box

in a command box, tryboth

"netsh interface ip delete arpcache" to reset the arpcache

and also flush the DNScache by typing "ipconfig /flushdns"

You might have to start the cmd box with "run as administrator"

Huh. #53: You were not connected because a duplicate name exists on the network. If joining a domain, go to System in Control Panel to change the computer name and try again. If joining a workgroup, choose another workgroup name.

Is that possible?

Changed the name of the Windows 7 computer and now it connects. Checked with the router and there was no other network device with the same name though and none of my VM machines shares the same name neither.

So it looks like the cause was duplicate machine name, but I have no idea why on my small network I have duplicate names though.

Thanks for all your help!

Glad to hear.

That is strange..

At least it was not unraids fault..

@cyrnel

It is a cache dump of the windows networking garbage. Windows tries to remember where it last saw network names. sometimes it is to stupid/or confused to check again. Sort of like IE reading the cache instead of paying attention what the webpage is really telling it.

I have seen  win 2008 and vista boxes go though several reboots convinced it knows a name resolution... dumping the cache  wakes it up and forces a fresh look up. you shouldn't have to.. but it is a Microsoft product.. it's.. umm.. yeah. It can be worse if it is the master browser.

I have seen win 2008 and vista boxes go through several reboots convinced it knows a name resolution..."

I'm not sure I haven't seen that myself but put it down to timers in the nether regions of a stack somewhere. It's hard to accept something like that, as planned behavior, would make it into shipping product.

Time for rain dances? Couldn't hurt.

What's troubling is that my kitchen sink wasn't as good as my error:

jamerson9 said

net use \\tower\testing

System error 53 has occurred.

Network path was not found.

I said

Is that possible?

jamerson9 changed his system's name, and the problem stopped (or just grew bored and left).

I'd mis-read the table. That long error was really 52. 53 is just what the command had returned: "network path was not found."

I wonder what that VM was doing all the time those Win7 queries were flying around the bridged net...

Time to stop thinking about this.

Would it be problem is there existed a Workgroup name that was same as the Windows 7 machine name?

One of my old VMs might have a Workgroup that has the same name as the Windows 7 machine and that causes the confusion?

Trying to solve this problem is getting me uncomfortably too educated in the murky depths of windows networking.  :D

Again thanks for all your help and suggestions.