Random hang on shutdown/reboot if msi enabled on gpu [Windows 11]?

Go to solution Solved by ghost82,

Hi all, after some months of searching I think I found the root cause of my random hangings on shutdown/reboot of my windows 11 virtual machine.

It seems that if message signaling interrupts (msi) are enabled on my audio/video gpu (which is needed, otherwise digital audio and video irqs are shared), sometimes windows is not shutting down or rebooting completely. I hate when these things happen randomly...

With irqs, line-based interrupts, it seems the vm is shutting down/rebooting ok.

When this happens, randomly, windows tries to shutdown, monitors go black, but the vm is reported as still running and I need a forced shutdown.

Does anyone have msi enabled on a win11 vm on the gpu?Is it shutting down/rebooting normally?

Edited by ghost82
  • ghost82 changed the title to Random hang on shutdown/reboot if msi enabled on gpu [Windows 11]?
  • Solution

Nevermind, it was a placebo effect, it seemed it didn't crash for several reboots, then it crashed again.
Thanks to an app to analyze the memory dumps (WhoCrashed) I was able to identify the culprit: it's a driver power failure of my mellanox infiniband card.
It's a very old card, worked well in windows 7, survived windows 10, but it seems it has issue in windows 11. Luckily I don't use it very much and I can disable the card and unloading the driver (ibbus.sys) before rebooting/shutting down.