Disk spin-up disrupts data streams

Hello,

I am having a problem when a disk spins up, access to the entire array hangs until the spin-up is complete.  If I am listening to music, spinning up any other disk will cause breaks in the music playback (My iTunes library is on a share).  It doesn't matter whether the spin-up is the result of accessing another share/disk or just by doing it in the web UI.  Is there a config I can adjust to help reduce or eliminate this?

Unraid server Plus, version 6.9.2

Thanks,

This is a hardware issue, where your controllers pause ALL I/O waiting for the spinup to be completed, and nothing you can do about the pause itself (other than experimenting with other controllers / motherboards)

The fail-safe solution is to set your drives to never spin down

@koyaanisqatsi (nice user name, btw)  The other solution to consider is to use the "spin up groups" in the disk settings so that any disks that might spin up while you are streaming from your audio library are also spun up at the same time.  I do this for the four disks that I use for Blu-ray and DVD rips for example.  So once I am watching a film, any other device accessing the same files does not cause an unexpected stutter. 

Edited by S80_UK

Dang, OK.  I was hoping it wasn't a hardware thing.  Are there any known controllers that don't behave this way?  Or would I need to use multiple controllers to avoid this?

Not sure spin-up groups will help this one because each disk holds a different kind of data.  But I'll check it out. 

I just looked over the hardware compatibility page and controller threads, and saw the notes about avoiding Marvell controllers for unRAID 6.x, and of course I have a Marvell 9845.  So, I'm looking to replace it now. I'll see if the behavior improves after that.

Thanks!