Looking for Broadcom 9400 16i Tri-Mode 12Gbps HBA - NEW

Anyone know any good sources for this card? I've been running my server with 3 Dell H310 flashed with an LSI IT mode. I'm beginning to "think" there may be something funky with one of the cards. I'd rather do a nice upgrade and use the one Broadcom instead of the 3 Dell's. The 9400 is 12Gbps, but I doubt I'll see any performance increase. I don't know.

Hard to find an online store that carries it for a "decent" price. I certainly don't want to pay $1000 for it, which I've seen some price gauging places have it for.

This listing looks like the same card as the tri-mode based on comparing specs but i guess it could be a knockoff. - https://www.ebay.com/itm/284672380344?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=JnVW1VgjTbK&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Another possible route to go would be to just use a 12g sas expander card and a much cheaper 12g sas card like a 9400-8i. I'm running single sas cable 12g into a backplane and still max out drive speeds just fine with tons of drives including 4 ssd sas and 3 sata sas

Edited by BlinkerFluid
  • 2 weeks later...

Those Ebay cards have the same chipset as the Broadcom I believe, as my friend purchased one from Ebay and it worked fine on his array.  I did order one but have to get new SAS cables and remove the backplanes from my Norcotec 24 hotswap box because those backplanes were advertised only as 6Gbps. I never though of using an expander card since I'm not very familiar with them. Do you just jump a cable from the 8i card to the expander and that 8i can handle the extra drives with no problem?

yeah expander cards work just like a dumb network switch. Just input one sas cable in and then sas cable out to the rest from expander card. If you are not using any SAS drives you could use two cables in and one would work as a failover (with sas drives it tries to do dual mode sas which unraid doesn't support and you end up with drives listed twice with different addresses)

Edited by BlinkerFluid