[solved] !! - All disks are 'Unformatted'

Over the past couple of weeks, I have been playing around with integrating unRAID into a full Slackware. I would make some progress here and there, and then always just switch back to my old 4.7 with no problems. Today I made some real progress and actually got 5.0b6a working in full Slackware. I got to the point where I wanted to bring up my array in 5.0b6a. But when I went to add my disks to the array and ALL of my disks say UNFORMATTED. I even tested with vanilla 5.0b6a and 4.7 Final. All still say unformatted.  :'( Not good. Not good at all.

So I try to manually mount the disks from the command prompt. Nothing. It says it doesn't recognize the file system even when I specify ReiserFS with the -o option and it won't mount. So I turn to reiserfsck next. --check won't even start because it can't find the reiserfs superblock. It says I need to do the --rebuild-sb option. After reading a few threads about other people experiencing this, I decided to go ahead and try it. It works its magic but it runs into a 'Bad root block 0.' and says I need to do a --rebuild-tree. So I do a reiserfsck -scan-whole-partition -rebuild-tree /dev/sde

After three solid hours, it is telling me this:

root@tower:~# reiserfsck --scan-whole-partition --rebuild-tree /dev/sde
reiserfsck 3.6.21 (2009 www.namesys.com)

** Do not  run  the  program  with  --rebuild-tree  unless **
** something is broken and MAKE A BACKUP  before using it. **
** If you have bad sectors on a drive  it is usually a bad **
** idea to continue using it. Then you probably should get **
** a working hard drive, copy the file system from the bad **
** drive  to the good one -- dd_rescue is  a good tool for **
** that -- and only then run this program.                 **
** If you are using the latest reiserfsprogs and  it fails **
** please  email bug reports to [email protected], **
** providing  as  much  information  as  possible --  your **
** hardware,  kernel,  patches,  settings,  all reiserfsck **
** messages  (including version),  the reiserfsck logfile, **
** check  the  syslog file  for  any  related information. **
** If you would like advice on using this program, support **
** is available  for $25 at  www.namesys.com/support.html. **

Will rebuild the filesystem (/dev/sde) tree
Will put log info to 'stdout'

Do you want to run this program?[N/Yes] (note need to type Yes if you do):Yes
Replaying journal: No transactions found
Zero bit found in on-disk bitmap after the last valid bit. Fixed.
###########
reiserfsck --rebuild-tree started at Sun May 15 21:21:00 2011
###########

Pass 0:
####### Pass 0 #######
The whole partition (244190640 blocks) is to be scanned
Skipping 15663 blocks (super block, journal, bitmaps) 244174977 blocks will be read
0%....block 91347207: The number of items (5120) is incorrect, should be (1) - corrected
block 91347207: The free space (0) is incorrect, should be (2000) - corrected
pass0: vpf-10110: block 91347207, item (0): Unknown item type found [335545601 30146560 0x202800000140039  (5)] - deleted
block 98898560: The number of items (16384) is incorrect, should be (1) - corrected
block 98898560: The free space (896) is incorrect, should be (4048) - corrected
pass0: vpf-10110: block 98898560, item (0): Unknown item type found [57360 117473280 0x1000000  (15)] - deleted
block 101499198: The number of items (5204) is incorrect, should be (1) - corrected
block 101499198: The free space (0) is incorrect, should be (4048) - corrected
pass0: vpf-10200: block 101499198, item 0: The item [268435456 1647575187 0x456000113050002 IND (1)] with wrong offset is deleted
block 105550161: The number of items (16655) is incorrect, should be (1) - corrected
block 105550161: The free space (237) is incorrect, should be (4048) - corrected
pass0: vpf-10110: block 105550161, item (0): Unknown item type found [0 0 0x2706c2e6c70ea0f  (7)] - deleted
                                                       left 0, 21719 /secccc
Could not find a hash in use. Using "r5"
Selected hash ("r5") does not match to the hash set in the super block (not set).
       "r5" hash is selected
Flushing..finished
       Read blocks (but not data blocks) 244174977
               Leaves among those 10
                       - leaves all contents of which could not be saved and deleted 10
               Objectids found 2

Pass 1 (will try to insert 0 leaves):
####### Pass 1 #######
Looking for allocable blocks .. finished

Flushing..finished
       0 leaves read
               0 inserted
####### Pass 2 #######
Flushing..finished

No reiserfs metadata found.  If you are sure that you had the reiserfs
on this partition,  then the start  of the partition  might be changed
or all data were wiped out. The start of the partition may get changed
by a partitioner  if you have used one.  Then you probably rebuilt the
superblock as there was no one.  Zero the block at 64K offset from the
start of the partition (a new super block you have just built) and try
to move the start of the partition a few cylinders aside  and check if
debugreiserfs /dev/xxx detects a reiserfs super block. If it does this
is likely to be the right super block version.                        
If this makes you nervous, try  www.namesys.com/support.html,  and for
$25 the author of fsck,  or a colleague  if he is out,  will  step you
through it all.

Aborted

debugreiserfs says this:

root@Tower:~# debugreiserfs /dev/sde
debugreiserfs 3.6.21 (2009 www.namesys.com)

Filesystem state: consistency is not checked after last mounting

Reiserfs super block in block 16 on 0x840 of format 3.6 with standard journal
Count of blocks on the device: 244190640
Number of bitmaps: 7453
Blocksize: 4096
Free blocks (count of blocks - used [journal, bitmaps, data, reserved] blocks): 244190640
Root block: 0
Filesystem is NOT clean
Tree height: 65535
Hash function used to sort names: "r5"
Objectid map size 2, max 972
Journal parameters:
       Device [0x0]
       Magic [0x0]
       Size 8193 blocks (including 1 for journal header) (first block 18)
       Max transaction length 1024 blocks
       Max batch size 900 blocks
       Max commit age 30
Blocks reserved by journal: 0
Fs state field: 0xfa02:
       FATAL corruptions exist.
sb_version: 2
inode generation number: 0
UUID: [removed]
LABEL: 
Set flags in SB:
Mount count: 1
Maximum mount count: 30
Last fsck run: Mon May 16 02:14:51 2011
Check interval in days: 180

Sounds risky. I know for a fact the data has not been zeroed. My filesystem is just severely crapped. Is there any chance for recovery?

Please help !

I'm not sure what could have caused this. I never reformatted the wrong drive. And more over...it's affecting all of my drives.  :'( :'(

EDIT: I looked into that www.namesys.com/support.htm link. Some of you may know this, but Namesys (the company that made ReiserFS) is no longer around. AND Reiser himself is in jail for MURDER! Just my luck. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Reiser

Did you read the 5.0b6a thread and the way it has moved/recreated partitions on a bunch of people? There's a reason it comes with a big WARNING. It is BETA test software.

If you had read the 5.0b6a release thread then you would have gotten the clues necessary to fix your problem (it's actually a real simple 2 minute fix). Go over there and read it and then you'll know what was happening. However, you might have already screwed yourself by running reiserfsck commands on the disks.

Peter

Thanks for the reply, Peter. I am rereading the release thread right now. For some reason, I was under the impression that this only affected people who upgrading from 4.7. I assumed that 5.0b6 fresh installs (but migrated drives) were not affected. I guess I assumed wrong. Luckily, I have only ran reiserfsck on one disk. Hopefully, I will be able to rebuild.

I ran mkmbr /dev/sde 63 0x83. /dev/sde is the disk I did the reiserfsck. I figured, if it's already borked, what do I have to loose? Sure enough. That fixed it. unRAID mounts that disk. My files seems to be intact, but I haven't tested everything. Did reiserfsck do any modifications I need to be concerned about?

Do you suggest I run the mkmbr /dev/sd* 63 0x83 on my remaining data disks? What about my parity?

All of my disks say MBR: 4-k aligned, except /dev/sde which says MBR: unaligned now.

I've learned my lesson now though. Read the documentation. I guess I just got excited that I got my Slackware problem sorted out and jumped the gun.

Thanks for the reply, Peter. I am rereading the release thread right now. For some reason, I was under the impression that this only affected people who upgrading from 4.7. I assumed that 5.0b6 fresh installs (but migrated drives) were not affected. I guess I assumed wrong. Luckily, I have only ran reiserfsck on one disk. Hopefully, I will be able to rebuild.

I ran mkmbr /dev/sde 63 0x83. /dev/sde is the disk I did the reiserfsck. I figured, if it's already borked, what do I have to loose? Sure enough. That fixed it. unRAID mounts that disk. My files seems to be intact, but I haven't tested everything. Did reiserfsck do any modifications I need to be concerned about?

Do you suggest I run the mkmbr /dev/sd* 63 0x83 on my remaining data disks? What about my parity?

All of my disks say MBR: 4-k aligned, except /dev/sde which says MBR: unaligned now.

I've learned my lesson now though. Read the documentation. I guess I just got excited that I got my Slackware problem sorted out and jumped the gun.

The file systems is NOT on /dev/sde, but on /dev/sde1.  You may have been confused by that fact.  It is probably why it reported it could not find a superblock,

Glad you were able to fix the partitioning and get things back to normal. 

Joe L.