Mover and Cache Drives and Symlinks

I recently added a mirror set of cache drives to my array. I ran though the process of moving my appdata to the cache. I made sure that Docker was disabled and nothing was running before changing the share and running the mover.

When mover completed I checked to make sure everything was moved successfully. However I noticed that were two directory (with files) still lefts on the disk1/appdata, binhex-plex and gitlab-ce. I did some investigation and all it appears that everything that is still left on the disk1 is all symlink with relative paths. (i.e. ../../somefile) This breaks docker images that require these files. I checked again on user/appdata and it appears that all the symlinks work from there, however when starting the Docker Image for gitlab-ce will fail to start and it looks like this is because all of the files on on the cache drive but the symlinks are on the array. With out going too much into the mover rabbit hole The only solutions that everyone seems to agree on is to copy the files manually as this issue pops up frequently.

cp -avr /mnt/disk1/appdata /mnt/cache/appdata

or

rsync -avrth --progress --dry-run //mnt/disk1/appdata/ //mnt/cache/appdata/

I guess my next question is why does mover have an issue with symlinks?

Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 4 months later...

I have the same issue when copying my backup files. They go to the cache first and the mover doesn't move them off the cache, where they appear as broken links now (the links are fine in the source folders). Could it be that the linked file is moved first and then the symlinks are giving errors preventing the move?

The mover logs multiple errors like this:

Sep 23 22:59:50 unraid root: Specified filename /mnt/cache/backup/ConfigSave/etc/nginx/sites-enabled/sites does not exist.

Sep 23 22:59:50 unraid move: file: /mnt/cache/backup/ConfigSave/etc/nginx/sites-enabled/sites

Sep 23 22:59:50 unraid move: move_object: /mnt/cache/backup/ConfigSave/etc/nginx/sites-enabled/sites No such file or directory

Are there any plans to fix the mover?

• 1 month later...

I ran into this same issue

Wanted to replace my cache drives with bigger ones - followed the instructions but 20hrs later the mover has finished and still an absolute ton of symlinks in the docker volumes, and plex meta etc... that mover refuses to move

Specified filename /mnt/cache/system/docker/btrfs/subvolumes/93c5b02f4d84e28555d19af3bda8b6c102c89e84a3ee17c755eea5a69a1fe527/usr/lib/git-core/git-clone does not exist.

The logs are just full of this for every single symlink

I attempted to run a manual rsync from the cache drives onto disk3 which is where mover was sending the files, did this for appdata and system shares

rsync -avrth --progress --dry-run /mnt/cache/appdata/ /mnt/disk3/appdata/

But this doesn't work because the files the symlinks pointed to have now moved so they have no referent.
This has left me in a complete mess!

This seems to be a bug with mover since 2014.. hopefully it can get addressed as if the official procedure for upgrading cache drive(s) is followed you'd end up with completely broken docker containers

Edited by PhilBarker
  • 5 months later...

I just ran into this issue myself. I'm getting the "Some or all files are unprotected" warning, even after running the Mover, and know I know why.

For me, however, the symlinks are working just fine. They exist only on the cache drive, but they function at the share level. For me the only problem to solve is the false warning message about unprotected files.