iGPU acceleration for RDP on VM

Go to solution Solved by ghost82,

Greetings,

I plan to move work-related stuff to remote VM. I have Ryzen 4650G (5700G 5750G considered) as unRAID server. I could pass-through iGPU (someone succeeded finally for 5700G!). But I want to benefit from iGPU on RDP.

AFAIK normally RDP uses software rendering, but I googled how to enable iGPU. Questions:
1. What OS is needed? W10P is enough or I need at least W2016S or W10Enterprise?
2. Do I need RemoteFX?
3. Is AMD's iGPU supported?
4. Any other considerations?

Thanks

EDIT: WARNING! 5700G does NOT support ECC. It looks confirmed. One needs 5750G.

Edited by CobraPL
  • Solution
5 hours ago, CobraPL said:

But I want to benefit from iGPU on RDP

If you google enable gpu acceleration over rdp you will find solutions for discrete gpu by tweaking the windows registry if I remember well..this could work also for the igpu...or not...

I know you are now thinking, if you don't know why you reply? :D

I would not consider RDP at all for your use, if you passthrough a gpu/igpu you are enabling hardware acceleration, so your apps/games should use hardware acceleration but rdp will render the screen output and it will send it over the network; this is how rdp works, vnc for example works in a different way.

I would consider parsec or any other protocol studied for game streaming and avoid rdp, and obviously with a passed through gpu/igpu.

Edited by ghost82
  • Like 1
22 hours ago, ghost82 said:

If you google enable gpu acceleration over rdp you will find solutions for discrete gpu by tweaking the windows registry if I remember well..this could work also for the igpu...or not...

I know you are now thinking, if you don't know why you reply? :D

I would not consider RDP at all for your use, if you passthrough a gpu/igpu you are enabling hardware acceleration, so your apps/games should use hardware acceleration but rdp will render the screen output and it will send it over the network; this is how rdp works, vnc for example works in a different way.

I would consider parsec or any other protocol studied for game streaming and avoid rdp, and obviously with a passed through gpu/igpu.

THX. Except I can't passthrough AMD APU.
What are your recommendations for non-passthrough (software) scenario?

38 minutes ago, CobraPL said:

Except I can't passthrough AMD APU

If you don't pass any gpu the system couldn't use hardware video acceleration and it will be quite limited, since you will need to use qxl video or equivalent; if this is the case any remote desktop solution is near the same, even rdp.