Disk Failure

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

First time poster but long time lurker

Yesterday I noticed one of my drives decided to be disabled with a red X "Device is disabled Contents Emulated Click to spin down device". The device log information says:

May 16 16:30:43 Homeserver kernel: blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sdp, sector 1277575336 op 0x1:(WRITE) flags 0x4000 phys_seg 128 prio class 0

Googling this didn't really give me much info, seems like most people this is caused by a loose cable.  I did the extended smart test and seems like it came back clean.

I did try checking all my cabling and everything looks good.  The failing drive is part of a DAS created that has about 5 drives (connected to motherboard through LSI SAS9200-16e)

Here's what i'm running 

Unraid 6.10 rc8

Case - Rosewill 4U Server Chassis 

Motherboard E-ATX Server Motherboard LSI2008 8x SAS/SATA, 2x 10G X540-AT2, Avocent IPMI 2.0 (GA-7PESH2) $230

CPU 2x Intel Xeon E5-2660 v2 2.2GHz 10 Core 25MB Processors

RAM - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz ECC Registered Memory (4x 16GB)

PSU - EVGA Supernova 750 G1+, 80 Plus Gold 750W,

SSD -Samsung 960 EVO Series - 500GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD $226

HDD-  10 X 8TB easystore - 2 x 8 TB Seagate - 2x 5tb Seagate - 2 x 12TB parity

Wondering what my options are. I can still navigate to the drive and see contents, all the data is non-critical so I dont care about losing anything on it. Any help would be appreciated. Logs attached below.

homeserver-smart-20220518-0700.zip homeserver-diagnostics-20220518-0953.zip

1 minute ago, JorgeB said:

Board is spamming the log with ATA lonk info, the disk looks OK though, there a lot of UDMA CRC errors, and the LSI firmware you're using has known issues, you should update to latest, and since the emulated disk is mounting and assuming contents look correct you can then swap/replace cables to rule that out and re-enable the disk.

Cool thanks will try that out. Wasn't aware of the spam logging and the update so will give that a shot as well