Upgraded from 6.9.2 to 6.10. device eth0 does not exist

Go to solution Solved by xenoblade,

• Solution

hi,there

today i have updated to 6.10,but there is no ipv4

when i check the boot log on screen it shows 'device eth0 does not exist'

After checking the relevant posts in the forum, it still didn't solve the problem.

so i came here for help.please help me with this problem

thank you

——————————————————————————————————————————————————

if you are use 2.5g realtek NIC
the unraid 6.10 system is only using r8169 driver
it is a terrible driver for 2.5g NIC
normally we block this driver in 6.9.2,it is good.it can let the server using R8125 to run the full 2500mbps
but when upgrade to 6.10,the system keep the settings.so you will find your server shows 'device eth* does not exist',you can't access your unraid through web gui
the solution is easy.just deleted the blacklist file in your modprobe.d file

tower-diagnostics-20220519-0304.zip

Edited by xenoblade
find a solution
1 hour ago, JorgeB said:

NIC is being detected but it's not loading a driver, and can't see any related error in the log, do you have an add-on NIC you can use?

The strange thing is that when I reinstalled it, I found that the system was fine and the drivers were working properly

So it's working now? Only thing I find about the NICs in the log is this:

May 19 02:57:49 Tower kernel: pci 0000:05:00.0: invalid VPD tag 0xff (size 0) at offset 0; assume missing optional EEPROM
May 19 02:57:49 Tower kernel: pci 0000:08:00.0: invalid VPD tag 0x00 (size 0) at offset 0; assume missing optional EEPROM

23 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

So it's working now? Only thing I find about the NICs in the log is this:

May 19 02:57:49 Tower kernel: pci 0000:05:00.0: invalid VPD tag 0xff (size 0) at offset 0; assume missing optional EEPROM
May 19 02:57:49 Tower kernel: pci 0000:08:00.0: invalid VPD tag 0x00 (size 0) at offset 0; assume missing optional EEPROM

no,when i install new 6.10, it worked.but when i UPGRADED FROM 6.9.2 TO 6.10 it still shows  'device eth0 does not exist'

i am so confused

how shoud i do?

how about try another way

i want to install new 6.10,and move the 6.9.2 settings and docker in the 6.10 .but i don't know how to do it or is it possible to operate this way

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Acrisuim said:

If you found the problem and worked it out, do you mind sharing the solution, or did you follow JorgeBs advice and move some settings at a time?

this is mine solution

if you are use 2.5g realtek NIC
the unraid 6.10 system is only using r8169 driver
it is a terrible driver for 2.5g NIC
normally we block this driver in 6.9.2,it is good.it can let the server using R8125 to run the full 2500mbps
but when upgrade to 6.10,the system keep the settings.so you will find your server shows 'device eth* does not exist',you can't access your unraid through web gui
the solution is easy.just deleted the blacklist file in your modprobe.d file

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
13 minutes ago, Flemming said:

I have a Dell PowerEdge T420 and using the motherboard NIC

Should be OK to re-enable the NIC with that server, see below how to:

https://forums.unraid.net/bug-reports/stable-releases/after-i-upgraded-to-6102-my-network-interfaces-dissappeared-r1956/?do=findComment&comment=19584

You can also check this post for more info about this issue:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/124108-unraid-os-version-6102-available/?do=findComment&comment=1132815

• 1 year later...