Upgrade from 6.9 to 6.10.0 went bad. Flash drive corrupted or offline and a lot of other issues

Hello,

Just upgraded from stable to 6.10.0.

Many problems after the upgrade. I was able to login but on the array screen got "Flash drive offline or corrupted" message.

The array has started, dockers and VM too, but no usual information for the disks in the array are visible anymore.

No control over the array. Buttons for start/stop array disappeared.

Please kindly see my diagnostics and some screenshots.

unraid-diagnostics-20220519-0914.zip BB267506-C135-4A75-9ABC-F569362B6780.heic 28CC8DE8-57EA-4DB7-ABEB-9EE50F436B43.heic

What I've noticed is that the server initiated parity check, because (after the restart following the update) an unclean shutdown has been detected.

As a result according to my observations the parity check is blocking the normal view of the web interface. Once I press on "restart", a moment before a restart is completed the normal web interface page view is showing up. In this moment the parity check is stopped.

As no buttons for "stop parity check" are available at the moment (but the check is in progress) How could I stop parity check via command line? Haven't found any command for this.

All disk although mounted, are reported by unraid as "off-line"

10 years unraid user here and never had any problem with update so far.

1691631181_Screenshot2022-05-19at21-26-11UNRAID_Dashboard.thumb.png.d8438c684c2b9586c7cee2328c8f13ff.png

Edited by Alexandro

I'm having the same issue with 6.10. A parity check started and took my system offline. I had to do a hard reboot, everything loaded back up so the parity check started again after which my system went offline again. Now I can't get it to boot up again. 7 year user of Unraid and have never seen anything like this.

20 hours ago, ljm42 said:

Everything you described sounds like a flash drive going bad. I would make sure you make a backup and get a new one on order.

Although I was very much confident it is not a flash drive related decided to follow your advise. New flash drive prepared. Booted to the same behavior. Once again went back to 6.9.2. No more experiments with the production server for me.

Edited by Alexandro
1 hour ago, Lenny Williford said:

I'm having the same issue with 6.10. A parity check started and took my system offline. I had to do a hard reboot, everything loaded back up so the parity check started again after which my system went offline again. Now I can't get it to boot up again. 7 year user of Unraid and have never seen anything like this.

Update: Got my system to boot up again. My issue seems to be related to the parity check so I have disabled parity check on my system. I may go back to 6.9.2.

2 hours ago, Alexandro said:

Although I was very much confident it is not a flash drive related decided to follow your advise. New flash drive prepared. Booted to the same behavior. Once again went back to 6.9.2. No more experiments with the production server for me.

I am not sure why, but your flash drive is dropping offline in 6.10. The diagnostics are from before the problem happens so they don't show the error.

If you decide to try again at some point I'd recommend going to Settings -> Disk Settings and disabling array auto start first. That will allow you to test the system but if/when the flash drive drops offline it won't trigger a parity check because the array won't be running.

17 hours ago, Alexandro said:

Here's a simple test:

When the "flash drive offline or corrupted" banner appears.  Does it disappear if you navigate to another page (eg: Settings).  If that banner does disappear then what you've got is not a flash problem, and safe to ignore.  Rather it *thinks* it's corrupted because another process somewhere is changing a file on the flash at the exact same time as the OS is checking to see if it's corrupted.. (ie: a race condition that needs to be accounted for if we could replicate it)

• Like 1
On 5/21/2022 at 4:32 PM, Squid said:

Here's a simple test:

When the "flash drive offline or corrupted" banner appears.  Does it disappear if you navigate to another page (eg: Settings).  If that banner does disappear then what you've got is not a flash problem, and safe to ignore.  Rather it *thinks* it's corrupted because another process somewhere is changing a file on the flash at the exact same time as the OS is checking to see if it's corrupted.. (ie: a race condition that needs to be accounted for if we could replicate it)

Just saw now 6.10.2 available and decided to try to upgrade from 6.9 to not much different result.

The bad flash drive banner appeared again (brand new flash drive).

The VMs and Dockers started and working although unraid itself tells me that to access the docker/VM page the array must be started first.

The drives are reported by unraid that are offline, which is false (the drive appeared to be online and user shares presente).

I do not know what exactly has been changed but obviously problems are still there.

Take a look on some screenshots and also the diagnostics log attached.

Back to 6.9.2 again.

25268578_ScreenShot2022-05-28at14_21_24.png.72ea2f41b25b0d12f6c420637a894d3a.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-28 at 14.20.32.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-28 at 14.21.54.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-28 at 14.22.26.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-28 at 14.22.55.png

unraid-diagnostics-20220528-1423.zip

Shot in the dark, switch from using a docker image file to instead using a docker folder.  In theory it shouldn't actually make any difference, but trouble with other users using a ZFS unassigned device to store an image and it doesn't work whereas a folder does.  Not that you're using ZFS, but doesn't hurt to try it.

Settings - Docker, switch the type then Apps - Previous Apps and check off what you want.