(SOLVED) Unraid 6.10.0 enable FTP at boot?

Go to solution Solved by Dave001,

3 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Settings -> FTP Server

Yeah, it's not sticking is what he's saying. Every single reboot it does NOT come back on without making change that you reference in settings. Is there a permanent "I agree to dangers" toggle so that with EVERY subsequent restart it is enabled on it's own?

If I recall correctly, vsFTP had some challenges in the past.  Most striking was that it always started up historically even if it was set to be disabled.  Since 99% of users don't use FTP at all, the decision was probably have it disabled by default and force you to enable it.

TBH, if you're actively using FTP, you're going to be better off installing ProFTPd instead of using the built-in.

7 hours ago, Squid said:

TBH, if you're actively using FTP, you're going to be better off installing ProFTPd instead of using the built-in.

Funny how every time a developer makes a change, the way I've been doing it for the last 10 years, with out any problems mind you, is suddenly the wrong way to do it.

18 hours ago, Squid said:

If I recall correctly, vsFTP had some challenges in the past.  Most striking was that it always started up historically even if it was set to be disabled.  Since 99% of users don't use FTP at all, the decision was probably have it disabled by default and force you to enable it.

I played with CrushFTP but it was just "way too much" for my VERY simple needs. Have you had better luck with ProFTPd mate?

• Solution

I added a script to enable FTP on boot, seems to be working so far.

Enabled FTP Server under "Settings, FTP Server".

Check the system log and read the line that Enabled the FTP Server, for mine it was "/usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/scripts/ftpusers '1' 'root'"

Added a new script using the User Scripts plugin, and added that data, and set it to run at "At Startup of Array"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Dave001 changed the title to (SOLVED) Unraid 6.10.0 enable FTP at boot?
On 5/20/2022 at 8:07 AM, Dave001 said:

I added a script to enable FTP on boot, seems to be working so far.

Enabled FTP Server under "Settings, FTP Server".

Check the system log and read the line that Enabled the FTP Server, for mine it was "/usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/scripts/ftpusers '1' 'root'"

Added a new script using the User Scripts plugin, and added that data, and set it to run at "At Startup of Array"

What exactly was your script? I mean, I know how to have a script run at start but etc not sure words/verbiage is used to tell it to edit that file every time. 

5 minutes ago, blaine07 said:

What exactly was your script? I mean, I know how to have a script run at start but etc not sure words/verbiage is used to tell it to edit that file every time. 

#!/bin/bash

/usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/scripts/ftpusers '1' 'root'

• Like 3
  • 5 months later...

Thanks @Dave001 for this resolution workaround... I just ran in to this after updating for the first time in a long while...

It frustrates me how many people respond with "don't use the internal, install this overcomplicated method instead!" .. I am the only person that has access to my Unraid server, and it doesn't have any outside access. I use the very basic vsftpd implementation to transfer files between my local PC and my local server .. I have no need for SFTP overheads, or running another docker or plugin, what's there is good enough.

IMHO, just because some people may use it insecurely doesn't mean that all of us should be forced to have the inconvenience of using workarounds for a setting that, as you mentioned previously, has worked fine for the last 10+ years... Sure, make it disabled by default, but if I change a setting it should stick, even after reboots.

Edited by kharntiitar
  • Like 2
  • 2 months later...
On 11/13/2022 at 3:43 AM, kharntiitar said:

Thanks @Dave001 for this resolution workaround... I just ran in to this after updating for the first time in a long while...

It frustrates me how many people respond with "don't use the internal, install this overcomplicated method instead!" .. I am the only person that has access to my Unraid server, and it doesn't have any outside access. I use the very basic vsftpd implementation to transfer files between my local PC and my local server .. I have no need for SFTP overheads, or running another docker or plugin, what's there is good enough.

IMHO, just because some people may use it insecurely doesn't mean that all of us should be forced to have the inconvenience of using workarounds for a setting that, as you mentioned previously, has worked fine for the last 10+ years... Sure, make it disabled by default, but if I change a setting it should stick, even after reboots.

Preach.

My surveillance cameras have their own user name that they use to dump files using ftp to a share. I only discovered they disabled this functionality after my neighbor asked if I had footage of their car being stolen. Nope.

Wtf...

Catering to the lowest common denominator?

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...