[SUPPORT] - Community Applications - ghostfolio

23 minutes ago, jdiacobbo said:

Pardon my ignorance but how would I be able to edit the run command for the CA container to remove this variable?

**edit**

I just ended up running the command in the terminal which worked.

Create a new Ghostfolio container Variable  TZ and leave it blank to get it to run .

• Thanks 3

When I enter the default JWT security key "123456" in the webui it is rejected - what am I doing wrong?  It's also not prompting me to register an account like in the demo video - it just asks for security token after clicking log in (no register option).

Edit: Just noticed I need to click "get started" in the top right...  Working fine now so far

Edit2: The CPU usage is pretty high.  I'm not doing anything with the web ui - it's not even working and it's using a bunch of CPU power. Am I the only one seeing this?

image.thumb.png.5c7f5dcbd4b5b63e187af17575864cae.png

Edited by ryry
On 9/21/2022 at 2:04 AM, ryry said:

When I enter the default JWT security key "123456" in the webui it is rejected - what am I doing wrong?  It's also not prompting me to register an account like in the demo video - it just asks for security token after clicking log in (no register option).

Edit: Just noticed I need to click "get started" in the top right...  Working fine now so far

Edit2: The CPU usage is pretty high.  I'm not doing anything with the web ui - it's not even working and it's using a bunch of CPU power. Am I the only one seeing this?

image.thumb.png.5c7f5dcbd4b5b63e187af17575864cae.png

Hi @ryry,

Your JWT security key should be something safe and random generated. Just add some random generated decent key ;)

Your secret key to log in is something different than your JWT key. As you might have noticed it will be generated and shown when registering.

I don't know why your web UI does not work - maybe some logs can tell?

My ghostfolio idle CPU consumption is in the neighborhood of 0.01% to 0.03%. 

On 6/5/2022 at 8:07 PM, Henkerd said:

I just set up this server, and it seems to be working. Performance is very lackluster however, is this normal behaviour for other people as well? Furthermore, it seems I cannot add BTC to my activities. I was wondering if this is working for other people on this sub?

I am having the same issue with Crypto. BTCUSD and BTCEUR are not showing up in the self-hosted instance but do show up in the public https://ghostfol.io/. I will try to open an issue.

• Like 1

I have tried to use Ghostfolio several times, because I really want/need something like this!! But I've been having a lot of trouble (probably something I'm doing), and I delete it. But I thought I'd try it again and let you know what is happening and maybe you could point me in the right direction?

After installation, it works fine. I can add a transaction. But after the first transaction, the screen just freezes until I restart the app. Then I can see my first transaction, but can't add any more. I'm using the Brave browser, and it doesn't show anything in the log file...absolutely a blank screen! Chrome will show me the log file, but no errors in it. So I decided to try to use the Edge browser. It works better. Firefox seems to work the best.

In Edge, I tried to add an activity with the security AIV and it showed up in the dropdown list, but when I pick it and try to save the activity, I get an error that the security is not found. When I add it in Firefox, it works!!

So I don't know what browser is recommended, but it appears to make a difference!!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2022 at 1:09 PM, LeonStoldt said:

As I was debugging some problems with @hermy65 in private messages, I would like to provide another method of debugging / checking if it's working. Some problems may occur in view of wrong configuration when changing the demo / default values. If you come across problems with the communication between Ghostfolio and redis / postgres you could try manually starting the containers via docker command from the Unraid console / command line and then (after verifying it's working) change some parameters and values in the configuration. That way you know which (config) value causes the problems.

To run it via command line open the terminal of Unraid (in the upper right hand corner) and run the following commands to start all the container and migrate the database:

1. Start Postgres:

docker run -d --name='ghostfolio-postgres' --net='bridge' -e TZ="Europe/Berlin" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'POSTGRES_PASSWORD'='password' -e 'POSTGRES_USER'='ghostfolio' -e 'POSTGRES_DB'='ghostfolio-db' -p '5432:5432/tcp' -v '/mnt/cache/appdata/ghostfolio-postgres':'/var/lib/postgresql/data':'rw' 'registry.hub.docker.com/library/postgres:14'

2. Start Redis:

docker run -d --name='ghostfolio-redis' --net='bridge' -e TZ="Europe/Berlin" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -p '6379:6379/tcp' 'redis'

3. Start Ghostfolio: (Remember to change the <IP> to your Unraid IP address!)

docker run -d --name='Ghostfolio' --net='bridge' -e TZ="Europe/Berlin" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'REDIS_HOST'='<IP>' -e 'DATABASE_URL'='postgresql://ghostfolio:password@<IP>:5432/ghostfolio-db?sslmode=prefer' -e 'JWT_SECRET_KEY'='123456' -e 'REDIS_PORT'='6379' -e 'ALPHA_VANTAGE_API_KEY'='' -e 'ACCESS_TOKEN_SALT'='GHOSTFOLIO' -p '3333:3333/tcp' 'ghostfolio/ghostfolio'

4. Migrate database initially:

docker exec -it Ghostfolio yarn database:migrate

This is basically the same as you would do with the provided Templates via UI - just doing it via command line.

I followed this, as it was not connecting correctly to either postgres or redis when i followed the video.

It got passed the original issue, but now stuck on "OCI runtime exec failed: exec failed: container_linux.go:380: starting container process caused: open /dev/ptmx: no space left on device: unknown"

Any ideas?

Edit: fixed this, it was literally a docker vdisk size issue, and was global across all apps and I hadn't noticed. However, still no dice on getting this to work. When launching the webgui i get: {"statusCode":404,"message":"ENOENT: no such file or directory, stat '/ghostfolio/apps/client/index.html'"} 

I have run yarn database:migrate, it says 51 items, none pending migration.

Edited by NonDescriptPerson
Change in issue
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2022 at 7:38 PM, NonDescriptPerson said:

{"statusCode":404,"message":"ENOENT: no such file or directory, stat '/ghostfolio/apps/client/index.html'"}

You need to create a new variable in your configuration, click `add another path, port, variable, label or device` and choose `variable` set key to `NODE_ENV` and value to `production` and it should work after that. 

• 2 weeks later...

Brand new install from the template.  New database . Getting this

The `20210703194509_added_balance_to_account` migration started at 2022-11-06 00:51:23.824673 UTC failed

I see the tables created in the deb, but the container fails to start.

migrate found failed migrations in the target database, new migrations will not be applied. Read more about how to resolve migration issues in a production database: https://pris.ly/d/migrate-resolve
The `20210703194509_added_balance_to_account` migration started at 2022-11-06 00:51:23.824673 UTC failed

error Command failed with exit code 1.
yarn run v1.22.19
$ yarn database:migrate && yarn database:seed && node main
$ prisma migrate deploy
Prisma schema loaded from prisma/schema.prisma
Datasource "db": PostgreSQL database "ghostfolio", schema "public" at "192.168.7.11:5432"

52 migrations found in prisma/migrations

Applying migration `20210604190809_initial_migration`
Applying migration `20210605161257_added_symbol_profile`
Applying migration `20210612110542_added_auth_device`
Applying migration `20210616075245_added_sectors_to_symbol_profile`
Applying migration `20210703194509_added_balance_to_account`
info Visit https://yarnpkg.com/en/docs/cli/run for documentation about this command.
info Visit https://yarnpkg.com/en/docs/cli/run for documentation about this command.
yarn run v1.22.19
$ prisma migrate deploy
Datasource "db": PostgreSQL database "ghostfolio", schema "public" at "my-ip:5432"

• 2 months later...
On 11/5/2022 at 9:12 PM, Faspina said:

Brand new install from the template.  New database . Getting this

I see the tables created in the deb, but the container fails to start.

migrate found failed migrations in the target database, new migrations will not be applied. Read more about how to resolve migration issues in a production database: https://pris.ly/d/migrate-resolve

yarn run v1.22.19
$ prisma migrate deploy
Datasource "db": PostgreSQL database "ghostfolio", schema "public" at "192.168.7.11:5432"

Applying migration `20210604190809_initial_migration`
Applying migration `20210605161257_added_symbol_profile`
Applying migration `20210612110542_added_auth_device`
Applying migration `20210616075245_added_sectors_to_symbol_profile`
Applying migration `20210703194509_added_balance_to_account`
yarn run v1.22.19
$ prisma migrate deploy
Datasource "db": PostgreSQL database "ghostfolio", schema "public" at "my-ip:5432"

I continue to have issues with this as well, and have seen other posts that others have too.  But myself as well as those others have been unable to resolve it thus far. :/

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

I love to see that Unraid users use ghostfolio more often. If you have trouble with the setup process and it's an issue related to ghostfolio as an app - github issues are the best option in order to find a solution.

As so, I would like to let you know that issues like the database migration error are discussed in this issue.

I've debugged this issue on a fresh system and wrote down all docker commands (which might help setting it up via docker commands if UI is to tricky) and added pictures of my logs.

In General, it is hard to debug every single system with problems, as there are many different factors involved (docker setup, previous installations, human error / typos, hardware etc.). For now, this is no one click - fit's all solution and the continous development and almost daily releases are great for the product but hard for debugging.

Maybe someone will create a one click solution like an ansible playbook - or the setup of ghostfolio will simplify in the future. ;)

• 1 month later...
On 4/19/2023 at 10:36 PM, LeonStoldt said:

Hi everyone,

I love to see that Unraid users use ghostfolio more often. If you have trouble with the setup process and it's an issue related to ghostfolio as an app - github issues are the best option in order to find a solution.

As so, I would like to let you know that issues like the database migration error are discussed in this issue.

I've debugged this issue on a fresh system and wrote down all docker commands (which might help setting it up via docker commands if UI is to tricky) and added pictures of my logs.

In General, it is hard to debug every single system with problems, as there are many different factors involved (docker setup, previous installations, human error / typos, hardware etc.). For now, this is no one click - fit's all solution and the continous development and almost daily releases are great for the product but hard for debugging.

Maybe someone will create a one click solution like an ansible playbook - or the setup of ghostfolio will simplify in the future. ;)

Most apps install their own data base. With a requirement of user installing both redis and postgress makes it it more complicated. I no longer use it because of corruptions.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone had this issue?  I went to activities and clicked on the first item I added and an error occurred.

[Nest] 169  - 07/11/2023, 1:46:31 PM    WARN Please use the currency converter in the activity dialog instead.
Fetching crumb and cookies from https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/AAPL...
Success.  Cookie expires on Wed Jul 10 2024 19:49:43 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
[Nest] 169  - 07/11/2023, 1:49:57 PM     LOG [DataGatheringService] Asset profile data gathering has been completed for FXAIX (YAHOO).
[Nest] 169  - 07/11/2023, 1:49:58 PM    WARN [PortfolioCalculator] Missing historical market data for symbol FXAIX
[Nest] 169  - 07/11/2023, 1:50:00 PM     LOG [DataGatheringProcessor (GATHER_HISTORICAL_MARKET_DATA)] Historical market data gathering has been started for FXAIX (YAHOO) at 2023-07-11
[Nest] 169  - 07/11/2023, 1:50:00 PM     LOG [DataGatheringProcessor (GATHER_HISTORICAL_MARKET_DATA)] Historical market data gathering has been completed for FXAIX (YAHOO) at 2023-07-11
[Nest] 169  - 07/11/2023, 1:50:49 PM    WARN [PortfolioCalculator] Missing historical market data for symbol FXAIX
[Nest] 169  - 07/11/2023, 1:50:50 PM    WARN [PortfolioCalculator] Missing historical market data for symbol FXAIX
[Nest] 169  - 07/11/2023, 1:50:50 PM    WARN [PortfolioCalculator] Missing historical market data for symbol FXAIX
[Nest] 169  - 07/11/2023, 1:50:51 PM    WARN [PortfolioCalculator] Missing historical market data for symbol FXAIX
[Nest] 169  - 07/11/2023, 1:52:04 PM    WARN [PortfolioCalculator] Missing historical market data for symbol FXAIX
[Nest] 169  - 07/11/2023, 1:52:04 PM   ERROR [ExceptionsHandler] Cannot read properties of undefined (reading 'items')
TypeError: Cannot read properties of undefined (reading 'items')
    at PortfolioService.<anonymous> (/ghostfolio/apps/api/main.js:1:333887)
    at Generator.next (<anonymous>)
    at fulfilled (/ghostfolio/apps/api/node_modules/tslib/tslib.js:164:62)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@SH4LT1S and @pranasziaukas - I have invested some time to create a convenient way of installing ghostfolio.

I created a Docker Container which fully automatically creates all necessary containers and makes ghostfolio running in seconds.

The only thing to do is to provide environment variables as parameters and execute one single docker run command.

Check out this repository https://github.com/LeonStoldt/ghostfolio-installer.

It starts one "installer" docker container, which starts each docker container necessary for ghostfolio.

Combining services like PostgreSQL and Redis into a single Docker image might seem convenient, but it's generally not recommended due to a few key reasons:

Modularity: Separate images allow for easier scaling and updates. Combining services can make it difficult to scale or update individual components independently.

Flexibility: Independent images provide more flexibility. You can swap or upgrade one service without affecting the others.

Security: Combining services increases the attack surface. Isolation of services in separate containers enhances security.

Reusability: Separate images can be reused across projects, improving sharing and collaboration.

Deployment: Independent images enable targeted updates. Combining services requires updating everything, potentially causing downtime or problems.

Efficiency: Bundling services together can lead to resource wastage. Each service has different resource requirements, and combining them might over-allocate resources.

In short, adhering to the "one service, one container" principle offers efficiency, security, and flexibility advantages over bundling services together. This is one of the core elements of docker and why docker is as big and successful as it is today.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't seem to get this running, as it seems to not like that I have a password for redis. I get this error:

[Nest] 282  - 08/21/2023, 11:49:34 AM   ERROR [RedisCacheService] ReplyError: WRONGPASS invalid username-password pair or user is disabled.
[Nest] 282  - 08/21/2023, 11:49:34 AM   ERROR [RedisCacheService] ReplyError: Ready check failed: NOAUTH Authentication required.
[Nest] 282  - 08/21/2023, 11:49:34 AM   ERROR [RedisCacheService] ReplyError: WRONGPASS invalid username-password pair or user is disabled.
[Nest] 282  - 08/21/2023, 11:49:34 AM   ERROR [RedisCacheService] ReplyError: Ready check failed: NOAUTH Authentication required.
/ghostfolio/apps/api/node_modules/redis-parser/lib/parser.js:179
    return new ReplyError(string)
           ^

ReplyError: NOAUTH Authentication required.
    at parseError (/ghostfolio/apps/api/node_modules/redis-parser/lib/parser.js:179:12)
    at parseType (/ghostfolio/apps/api/node_modules/redis-parser/lib/parser.js:302:14) {
  command: {
    name: 'client',
    args: [ 'setname', 'bull:REFUQV9HQVRIRVJJTkdfUVVFVUU=' ]
  }
}

Node.js v18.17.1

I use this same redis instance for another container (with the same config) and it works fine, so something is happening with ghostfolio. Anyone else have this issue?

Edited by harris
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Need some help! Followed the installation instructions. Using Postgres 12.5. 

It work fine the first time, then after a few days postgres stops working. When i try to start the container, i get the following errors (copied from my log file). I've been more of a hardware guy and now trying to learn more about dockers and backend development. Tried searching on then net, but still stuck. Thank you for your time in advance!!

PS: Done 3 fresh installations, with the first one using Postgres 14, but the issue persists. 

image.thumb.png.6264f4cd56e0aa74c3d40575e2a68cea.png