Home Assistant VM with frigate NVR software keeps getting too big

I run in my unraid server a VM of Home Assistant with the FRIGATE NVR addon.

I have 3 cameras in frigate, recording 1 day of all MOTION + 5 days of PERSON detection.

But the size of the VM always rise, i have to expand it a lot... but the frigate auto delete the old videos that have passed the date limit of my configuration. Once the frigate has saved the video, even after it delete it, the alocation size is not downsized?

image.thumb.png.489da0a6c4d94704b644195059b3f962.png

3 minutes ago, meep said:

Qcow2 images don’t auto-shrink when data is removed, afaik.

i found this on the inter web describing how trimming is possible if the vm is set up just right. I’ve never tried it in unRAID, but it should work. There may be other solutions as well;

https://kparal.wordpress.com/2017/10/06/automatically-shrink-your-vm-disk-images-when-you-delete-files/

Maybe can i do like docker and set a folder inside a VM to a share in the array?

Yes, inside your vm, you can mount any unRAID share just like you would from a regular PC. It behaves just like a network volume. This is a good solution.

I run blueiris in a Windows VM for my security cameras. I have an unassigned disk passed through to the VM for recording  storage / scratch The VM sees this as a locally mounted HD. I also have a an unRAID share mounted in the VM as a network drive. Here,  BlueIris moves ‘motion’ tagged clips nightly. Works really well.

Edited by meep
  • Like 1
13 minutes ago, meep said:

Yes, inside your vm, you can mount any unRAID share just like you would from a regular PC. It behaves just like a network volume. This is a good solution.

I run blueiris in a Windows VM for my security cameras. I have an unassigned disk passed through to the VM for recording  storage / scratch The VM sees this as a locally mounted HD. I also have a an unRAID share mounted in the VM as a network drive. Here,  BlueIris moves ‘motion’ tagged clips nightly. Works really well.

Do you know any tutorial on how to do that?