Plex issues upon upgrade to 6.10.1

Hey all,

I upgraded to 6.10.1 from 6.9, everything worked ok expect for Plex which started to give me the below error 
"Error: Unable to set up server: sqlite3_statement_backend::prepare: attempt to write a read-only database for SQL: PRAGMA cache_size=2000 (N4soci10soci_errorE)"

Using the new file explorer (very nice btw) i was able to set all the files to RW privs, however plex kept throwing the same error, after trying a few things i downgraded back to 6.9 and it worked right off the bat, so im assuming there is some error with the upgrade. 

Any one have any clues? 

19 hours ago, Tpole said:

Hey all,

I upgraded to 6.10.1 from 6.9, everything worked ok expect for Plex which started to give me the below error
"Error: Unable to set up server: sqlite3_statement_backend::prepare: attempt to write a read-only database for SQL: PRAGMA cache_size=2000 (N4soci10soci_errorE)"

Using the new file explorer (very nice btw) i was able to set all the files to RW privs, however plex kept throwing the same error, after trying a few things i downgraded back to 6.9 and it worked right off the bat, so im assuming there is some error with the upgrade.

Any one have any clues?

Try this https://forums.unraid.net/topic/123671-unraid-610-permission-denied-from-docker-containers/?do=findComment&comment=1128912

4 hours ago, mikl said:

perfect will bookmark! 

So after troubleshooting (after downgrading back to 6.9.2) and finding nothing obviously wrong, i upgraded again to 6.10.1 and had no issues this time. i changed nothing so i have no idea what caused all the issues... at least if i see it pop up again i'll have this to reference, thanks a bunch!

5 hours ago, Tpole said:

perfect will bookmark! 

So after troubleshooting (after downgrading back to 6.9.2) and finding nothing obviously wrong, i upgraded again to 6.10.1 and had no issues this time. i changed nothing so i have no idea what caused all the issues... at least if i see it pop up again i'll have this to reference, thanks a bunch!

I think some of the folder permissions reset with the upgrade which is why alot of docker containers are having issues

1 hour ago, mikl said:

I think some of the folder permissions reset with the upgrade which is why alot of docker containers are having issues

The upgrade would not be changing folder permissions (it does not touch any of the disk drives).   It is more likely that it is just showing up an issue that was already there but that you happened to get away with on 6.9.2 for some reason.

2 hours ago, itimpi said:

The upgrade would not be changing folder permissions (it does not touch any of the disk drives). It is more likely that it is just showing up an issue that was already there but that you happened to get away with on 6.9.2 for some reason.

My bad then.

I just find it weird that if those permission issues was not there on 6.9.2 why would they be there on 6.10.0?

Is there something more strict with permissions on 6.10.0?

And you did update the docker version, wouldn't that be able to touch the disk drives if changes was made to that version vs. the one on 6.9.2?

On 5/23/2022 at 5:08 AM, Tpole said:

I just upgraded from 6.9.2 to 6.10.2 and had the same exact error, this wasn't just you.

Downgraded to 6.9.2 and it's back to normal.

On 5/24/2022 at 12:45 AM, mikl said:

The solution suggests to run a script with some folder in there

"/mnt/user/!!you folder path here!!"

but which folder? appdata? plex media server inside appdata? or something else?

On 5/31/2022 at 9:41 AM, nicosemp said:

I just upgraded from 6.9.2 to 6.10.2 and had the same exact error, this wasn't just you.

Downgraded to 6.9.2 and it's back to normal.

The solution suggests to run a script with some folder in there

"/mnt/user/!!you folder path here!!"

but which folder? appdata? plex media server inside appdata? or something else?

I never had to do it, so i cant advise, once i reupgraded it was sorted. Have you tried re-upgrading? 

On 5/24/2022 at 8:54 AM, JorgeB said:

I agree with Itimpi that the update in principle shouldn't change any permissions, but pretty sure I read other users complaining of something similar, so don't rule that out for now, and if confirmed you should open a bug report.

I can report that my Plex container also stopped functioning due to permission errors after upgrading from 6.9 to 6.10.  Using the new file explorer plugin, I was able to see that permissions for the "appdata" folder were showing "UNKNOWN" as the owner.

Setting ownership of the folder to 'nobody' resolved my issue.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2022 at 4:31 AM, Tpole said:

Have you tried re-upgrading? 

Just tried and the exact same problem persists. Reverting until this gets fixed.

On 6/2/2022 at 5:26 PM, veri745 said:

permissions for the "appdata" folder were showing "UNKNOWN" as the owner.

Not for me unfortunately, I just re-upgraded and it showed the correct 'nobody'.

So apparently this was caused by having directories, subdirectories and files in the appdata/<plex appdata> directory owned by root:root.

Everything should be owned by nobody:users (as long as the container is running as nobody:users).

I managed to solve this by running:

sudo chown -R nobody:users /mnt/user/appdata/<plex appdata>

I suggest you first stop Plex.

Copy the "appdata/<plex appdata>" to a "appdata/<plex appdata>_BKP" backup folder.

Rename the old one as <plex appdata>_ORIGINAL and remove "_BKP" from the copied one. -> The switcheroo is because by copying from root the new files will be owned by root:root. This makes it possible to revert everything in case it doesn't work: the original folder is renamed but untouched otherwise.

Run the command above on the copied one, which is now called just <plex appdata>.

This is the gentleman who explained everything.

NOTE: <plex appdata> is the name of your Plex Media Server appdata directory.

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

So i've fixed it for anyone running into the issue.

(Couldn't Save a /mnt/remotes/Plex as destination due to permission error whilst able to touch a file there).

I've edited the Docker and enabled Privileged and set UID to 0 and GUID to 0. Now i can save it and seems to work again!

• 3 weeks later...

PLEX (linuxserver's Repository)
I recently went through the OS upgrade of 6.9.2 -> 6.10.3. Everything smooth except PLEX, again. All libraries showed up but playback was not working on almost every file. I noticed that it seemed to be because of the transcoding progress. "Plex UI" would sometimes say " Could not Transcode". Docker Log contained multiple errors after attempting to play items, but there was an error that displayed in the log just when starting the docker "Critical: libusb_init failed". Looking at the log errors that happened when attempting to play media: Plex was having issues accessing certain media folders AND could only play certain files with different experiences between devices.

Quick solution for MY Plex errors:
I used "binhex-krusader" to look at the plex folders and saw that the "Transcode" folder (edit docker to find path) was R-x (read only). NOTE: the villain was the transcode folder that was inside the transcode path folder i created in plex. 
I edited the docker container and gave the "Transcode" field a new path / custom folder. When I launched Plex again and tried playing transcoded content, it worked! And in my new "Transcode folder path", there was now a folder just called "Transcode" that plex created with R-W-x permissions!

Edited by nasforthemass
clean up. more detail