List of working Thunderbolt services and supported Thunderbolt card / host combinations in Unraid

This page documents two parts of what is working and what is not working with Thunderbolt on Unraid.

Part 1: The generic subsystems (for want of another name - perhaps someone can describe something technically more accurate here)

Part 2: Specific matches of PCIe hardware to Hosts systems

To date the following Thunderbolt subsystems are confirmed working on UnRaid:

Storage: Working

Networking: TBC

Display: Passthrough

Edited by Marshalleq
Clarity

Card Status:

Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge 2.0 (Flashed for Mac) - Installed on Asus X399 Prime-A - Card detected with short pins trick - Devices Autodetect

Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge 2.0 (Flashed for Mac) - Installed on Lenovo P700 (Thunderbolt disabled in BIOS) - Storage Working

Known Issues

Reboot sometimes freezes system while thunderbolt plugged in

Bolt tools are needed to properly authorise devices

Devices may become deauthorized on reboot

Edited by Marshalleq
  • JorgeB changed the title to List of Supported Thunderbolt Cards in Unraid
  • 2 weeks later...

This section to become the howto for how to get this going.  For now I will put my experience so far, which is to say it looks like it's working but am yet to get any fruit.

1. Jump pins 3 and 5 as outlined here , install the card and connect your devices.
  2. The card should now show up in Unraid as a PCIe device lspci shows a number of lines similar to: 03:00.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation JHL7540 Thunderbolt 3 Bridge [Titan Ridge 4C 2018] (rev 06)
  3. Also for your storage you should see a line similar to: [   44.231417] thunderbolt 0-1: LaCie Rugged THB USB-C
  4. Add the following line to the /etc/udev/rules.d/99-local.rules file: ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="thunderbolt", ATTR{authorized}=="0", ATTR{authorized}="1"

5. Navigate to /sys/bus/thunderbolt/devices/domain0/yourdevicefolder

6. Display the contents of the authorized file: cat authorized

7. If this is currently a 0 then: echo 1 > authorized

8. Confirm it is now a 1: cat authorized

9. Reboot

10. Success, storage is now shown in the unraid GUI

Note that line 4 effectively disables all thunderbolt security if you're worried about that.  I've requested the bolt package be added to nerd tools as this apparently is the security manager for thunderbolt in linux.  There is also a package called thunderbolt-tools that provides tbtadm that seems to do something similar.  I am still to understand how much value these tools are considering this works now. 

Edited by Marshalleq
  • Marshalleq changed the title to List of working Thunderbolt services and supported Thunderbolt card / host combinations in Unraid
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/1/2022 at 9:10 PM, Dtrain said:

but cant see any disk attached to it ...

I have the same issue on different hardware running unraid 6.10.

I'm trying to use an OWC ThunderBay 8 with a Gigabyte Titan Ridge GC 2.0 and an Asrock motherboard which does have a TB3 connector. I did not short any pins as I can just connect them to the mainboard. I can see the Titan Ridge in lspci.

I have enabled udev rules to authorize all devices but when I turn on the ThunderBay all I see in dmesg is this:

[20065.354797] thunderbolt 0-1: new device found, vendor=0x5a device=0xde19
[20065.354803] thunderbolt 0-1: Other World Computing ThunderBay 8

I can see /sys/bus/thunderbolt/devices/0-0 for the Titan Ridge and 0-1 for the ThunderBay 8.

Now How do I now mount the disks?

4 hours ago, Dtrain said:

after u attached the OWc thunderbay pls open Terminal and run this

echo 1 > /sys/bus/pci/rescan

Oh thanks a lot so I was just looking in the wrong directory /sys/bus/thunderbolt for such a function... I'll try out this weekend. Didn't thought about that it might be on the PCI.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So I finally tried your suggestion @Dtrain but I just got the errors seen in the image. I found out that some people with similar hardware suggested the following kernel config, would it be a bad idea to modify the append line as suggested here like so or would that break Unraid, I can always just pop the stick into my machine and fix it, right?

EDIT: Got it working, I forgot to set some BIOS options, namely "Above 4G decoding", "Re-Size BAR" and in a completely different section called AMD PBS to simply enable Thunderbolt support with no security, thanks Asrock. Now I see the thunderbolt drives, yay! Don't even know if I need the boot config.

append initrd=/bzroot pci=realloc,assign-busses,hpbussize=0x33

image.png

Edited by gentux
Found solution
  • 3 months later...