Re: preclear_disk.sh - a new utility to burn-in and pre-clear disks for quick add

Please excuse my ignorance as I have read through a few pages and didn't see the answer, but things are pretty clear. Preclear now supports the new advanced format drives from wd. I must ask, what does this actually mean, do I no longer need the jumper? Does it matter if I do use the jumper out not? I have another drive formatted a few months back with the jumper, should I get the data off and format again with the new version? What is my best approach for performance and data security. Obviously the drives were designed for advanced format so running without the jumper seems to be the answer, but I thinkit is best to get this answer from the experts.

All the new commands, I may need to upgrade, and at least use it on all my advanced format drives or no?

Please excuse my ignorance as I have read through a few pages and didn't see the answer, but things are pretty clear. Preclear now supports the new advanced format drives from wd. I must ask, what does this actually mean, do I no longer need the jumper? Does it matter if I do use the jumper out not? I have another drive formatted a few months back with the jumper, should I get the data off and format again with the new version? What is my best approach for performance and data security. Obviously the drives were designed for advanced format so running without the jumper seems to be the answer, but I thinkit is best to get this answer from the experts.

All the new commands, I may need to upgrade, and at least use it on all my advanced format drives or no?

Do not remove the jumper on old disks that have already been added to the array.  If the drives are jumpered you are getting the same performance boost as using the new feture.

Not all drives (from other manufacturers) have that jumper though, so a need for a way to use the new drives natively was needed.  Going forward, when you preclear new advanced format disks (like the EARS), you should plan to just use this new feature rather than bothering with the jumper.

You have 37 pending sectors.  Not a good thing.

197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       37

Actually, since all un-readable sectors should have been identified in the pre-read, it indicates the "pending sectors" were probably identified in the post-read.  That is not a good thing.  

As bjp999 said we'll see what happens in the next clear cycle.   I do not expect you'll have those errors go away.

Here's the log after the new run with the new preclear -A and no jumper.  I stopped it originally after a couple of hours to switch to your new report version (just in case something looked odd with the original smart report).  Let me know your thoughts?  Thanks

Here's just the smart reports incase you want to see how they came out.  I think this time is better, but I don't know if that makes a difference.

Not good ...

You now have 35 reallocated sectors + 3 new pending sectors.  You can keep running preclear cycles in hopes that the reallocated sectors stabalize, but based on experience here I don't believe it will happen.  Every run or two will prodice a few more reallocated sectors, and you'll never be able to trust the drive with data.  My advice would be to RMA the disk.

Remember that it is far better to learn this BEFORE you add a disk to your array.

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16

Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:

ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE

1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x002f   193   177   051    Pre-fail  Always       -       1938

3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0027   253   253   021    Pre-fail  Always       -       1358

4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       13

5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   199   199   140    Pre-fail  Always       -       35

7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x002e   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0

9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       65

10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0032   100   253   000    Old_age   Always       -       0

11 Calibration_Retry_Count 0x0032   100   253   000    Old_age   Always       -       0

12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       11

192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       8

193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       35

196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032   199   199   000    Old_age   Always       -       1

197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       3

198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0030   200   200   000    Old_age   Offline      -       131

199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0

200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate   0x0008   200   200   000    Old_age   Offline      -       142

Thanks for the advise.  Yes, better to find out now.  Would you recommend RMA through Newegg or Western Digital?

Do not remove the jumper on old disks that have already been added to the array.  If the drives are jumpered you are getting the same performance boost as using the new feture.

Not all drives (from other manufacturers) have that jumper though, so a need for a way to use the new drives natively was needed.  Going forward, when you preclear new advanced format disks (like the EARS), you should plan to just use this new feature rather than bothering with the jumper.

OK, great.  I actually don't know what I will do.  I didnt't actually see the posting for the 7.1 beta before posting.  I am still on 4.6 and thought that was it for the 4.x series as once thought.  But I see there was a need for this support so it was added with a new release.  He makes mention for those "you know who you are" to watch the forum to see how to convert from jumpered to not jumpered.  Unfortuantely, I am one of them, I like things all the same.  While it gains me nothing, I still want things uniform so I may have to convert if it is possible, so I will watch the forum.

As for the rest, I guess the new -A command will only work on 4.7 right?  Also, he says to run for a few days before adding disk, so I may wait to add the disks once 4.7 is out of beta.  Plus goign to "MBR: 4K-aligned", seems to be a one way decision.  Am I right in thinking this obviously does not really harm any existing data, it is just for the future as new disks are added?  This seems to be a big change, but needed as you stated.  Or, do I just run all my WD with the jumper and not even look at all this stuff and think too much into it.

currently, I just use the command preclear_disk.sh -m [email protected] -M 4 /dev/sdX (this is from memory, but I think that is it)  Do the newer versions of preclear do things any different?  The time stamp on my current preclear is 10/06/2009.  Do the new versions run faster or anything?  I know with this version it is usually like 20- 24 hours of a 2TB drive.  I guess being over 2 years old I need to upgrade anyway.

Attached

Thanks....

I've narrowed it down to the date format.

On my older server running 4.7, I see this style of date in the "ls" command:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  9 Jan 15 10:06 /dev/disk/by-path/pci-0000:00:1d.7-usb-0:3:1.0-scsi-0:0:0:0 -> ../../sda

On the 5.0beta version, the date in the "ls" command looks like this:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 2011-01-07 09:03 /dev/disk/by-path/pci-0000:00:1f.2-scsi-4:0:0:0 -> ../../sdg

Because of that, there are fewer whitespace delimited "fields" in the output and the preclear script does not properly extract the last field which holds the device name.

I'm working on the fix... but for the next few minutes I've removed the preclear_disk.sh from being attached so it does not get new users confused.

Joe L.

The new .9.9c version of preclear_disk.sh is attached to the first post in this thread.

The issue with the date format is fixed. I improved the output report format a bit too.  It now looks like this:

[color=maroon][b]** Changed attributes in files: /tmp/smart_start_sda  /tmp/smart_finish_sda
                ATTRIBUTE   NEW_VAL OLD_VAL FAILURE_THRESHOLD STATUS      RAW_VALUE
      Raw_Read_Error_Rate =   111     119            6        ok          30377685
         Spin_Retry_Count =   100     100           97        near_thresh 0
        Unknown_Attribute =   100     100           99        near_thresh 0
  Airflow_Temperature_Cel =    72      73           45        ok          28
   Hardware_ECC_Recovered =    57      29            0        ok          30377685
No SMART attributes are FAILING_NOW
10 sectors were pending re-allocation before the start of the preclear.
5 sectors are pending re-allocation at the end of the preclear,
    a change of -5 in the number of sectors pending re-allocation.
1 sector had been re-allocated before the start of the preclear.
3 sectors are re-allocated at the end of the preclear,
    a change of 2 in the number of sectors re-allocated.[/b][/color]

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Joe L.

Funny - me either and I just had my first disk fail during preclear today. Unfortunately I am way past 30 days so I have to go to WD for replacement. Just tell them the drive was reporting lots of bad sectors and you want a new one. Should be no hassle.

If we currently have an unjumpered WD Green drive not in the array, and it has already been pre-cleared for 4.6,

what do we need to do before using the .99c pre-cleared.sh with the -A for sector 64 use in 4.7b1?

Do we need to use "dd ..." to clear the first sector, or just go ahead and use the "-A" option?

Is it the same for a 2TB Seagate HDD which has no jumper option?

If we currently have an unjumpered WD Green drive not in the array, and it has already been pre-cleared for 4.6,

what do we need to do before using the .99c pre-cleared.sh with the -A for sector 64 use in 4.7b1?

Do we need to use "dd ..." to clear the first sector, or just go ahead and use the "-A" option?

If you pre-cleared the drive without a jumper, I think all you need to do is pre-clear it again now with the "-A" option.

The "dd" command is only if it locks up and refuses to respond to commands.  If that happens you'll need to power cycle it, then apply the "dd" command, then pre-clear it.

Nothing special need be done with the Samsung, unless it is their F4 model.  It must have its firmware updated as it silently may corrupt your data if not updated.  See this thread:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=9339.0

Then, just use the "-A" option.

Joe L.

The issue with the date format is fixed. I improved the output report format a bit too.  It now looks like this:

[color=maroon][b]** Changed attributes in files: /tmp/smart_start_sda  /tmp/smart_finish_sda
                ATTRIBUTE   NEW_VAL OLD_VAL FAILURE_THRESHOLD STATUS      RAW_VALUE
      Raw_Read_Error_Rate =   111     119            6        ok          30377685
         Spin_Retry_Count =   100     100           97        near_thresh 0
        Unknown_Attribute =   100     100           99        near_thresh 0
  Airflow_Temperature_Cel =    72      73           45        ok          28
   Hardware_ECC_Recovered =    57      29            0        ok          30377685
No SMART attributes are FAILING_NOW
    a change of 2 in the number of sectors re-allocated.[/b][/color]

The new format looks great. Hopefully this will enable all users to diagnose their own results.

The new format looks great. Hopefully this will enable all users to diagnose their own results.

Thanks.   I just attached an even newer version, with a bit more white-space to make it

easier to read the final report.   I think this will probably be it for a few more days, unless somebody else points out where

it can be improved, or where the result is not correct in the final report.

It now looks like this:

[b][color=maroon]** Changed attributes in files: /tmp/smart_start_sda  /tmp/smart_finish_sda
               ATTRIBUTE   NEW_VAL OLD_VAL FAILURE_THRESHOLD STATUS      RAW_VALUE
     Raw_Read_Error_Rate =   111     119            6        ok          30377685
        Spin_Retry_Count =   100     100           97        near_thresh 0
       Unknown_Attribute =    99     100           99        FAILING_NOW 0
 Airflow_Temperature_Cel =    72      73           45        ok          28
  Hardware_ECC_Recovered =    57      29            0        ok          30377685

*** Failing SMART Attributes in /tmp/smart_finish_sda ***
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
184 Unknown_Attribute       0x0032   099   099   099    Old_age   Always   FAILING_NOW 0

a change of 2 in the number of sectors re-allocated.
[/color][/b]

If I don't get any other feedback, I'll probably change the version number to 1.0.  ;)  

(It has been around long enough to warrant that as its version number)

Current version is seen with:

preclear_disk.sh -v

Newest version is .9.9d

Joe L.

Nothing special need be done with the Samsung, unless it is their F4 model.  It must have its firmware updated as it silently may corrupt your data if not updated.  See this thread:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=9339.0

Then, just use the "-A" option.

Ok, but I did mention Seagate, not Samsung  ;)

Oops... you are right... sorry. I need to read better.  Both start with an "S", both are 7 characters long...

Newegg. It will be new replacement disk. WD may send refurb.

Thanks, btw, do they offer advance replacements.  Its amazing for how many thousands of $$ I've spent there, I have never had a RMA.

You can't get an advanced replacement from Newegg, but they generated a pre-printed mailing label to return the drive when I submitted my RMA and they wanted me to pay for return shipping. I was able to get that waived by calling.

Joe L.,

I attempted to fix 2 of my WD EARS drives I have a while back. Even after the failed attempt, my system seems to be working great. Now that you recently added the -A option I'm wondering if I should possibly waste another Saturday.

I've had those drives in the system for many months (pre-cleared without the jumper). I suspect only those drives are not running at peek performance rather than corrupting data since my parity checks are valid. I have two questions that I would be happy if you could clarify.

Is there a way to tell if a 4K drive was setup incorrectly? Like measure the write speed?

Question two concerns the process to fix a wrongly setup 4K drive. I'm thinking this order of operations...

1. Stop the array, unassigned one 4K drive from the devices page.

2. Shutdown and add the jumper to the drive.

3. Boot up the system. Last time, the system would error for 20min+ before getting to login prompt. It was a real pain. Is there some type of "unRaid Safe Mode"?

4. Just use pre-clear with the -A option on that drive.

5. Re-assign the drive to the array, let unRaid rebuild the drive.

The only concern is data corruption and stability. I can live with my system as-is otherwise.

Joe L.,

The only concern is data corruption and stability. I can live with my system as-is otherwise.

Then don't do anything to change the jumper or settings.

When you get a NEW drive, and are running unRAID 4.7 onward, set the MBR 4k-align option in the settings, preclear it with the "-A" option, use it to replace an existing drive.  The unRAID software will re-construct the old drive onto the replacement.  When it is done, do a full parity check.  This will ensure you can read the drive you just wrote.

Only AFTER it is running for a week or so, take the older drive, do NOT add a jumper, preclear it with the "-A" option, then use it to replace another drive.   Let it run for a week to make sure you do not get any early failures.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

To tell if a drive is aligned on 4k boundaries, type:

fdisk -l /dev/sdX

The partition will start on sector 63 if not aligned, and on sector 64 if aligned.

Both alignments will work perfectly fine, the advance-format drives will have a bit better performance if 4k aligned if dealing with small files.  

If dealing with large files (movies, music, pictures) it does not matter anywhere near as much as only the very first sector accessed on the file will need an extra revolution of the disk.  The remainder are likely sequential anyway, so no extra revolutions are likely to occur, and no noticeable performance difference.

Joe L.

OK, I always thought it would be obvious, but after some reading I have gotten paranoid and now I dont know what to do with these logs.  I completed preclear on a drive and I believe I have the logs needed to tell me if I am safe:

an 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: === START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: Device Model:     WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: Serial Number:    WD-WCAZA1264935
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: Firmware Version: 51.0AB51
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: User Capacity:    2,000,398,934,016 bytes
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: Device is:        Not in smartctl database [for details use: -P showall]
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: ATA Version is:   8
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: ATA Standard is:  Exact ATA specification draft version not indicated
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: Local Time is:    Sun Jan 16 21:30:41 2011 EST
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: SMART support is: Enabled
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: 
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: === START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: General SMART Values:
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: Offline data collection status:  (0x80)^IOffline data collection activity
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: ^I^I^I^I^Iwas never started.
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: ^I^I^I^I^IAuto Offline Data Collection: Enabled.
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: Self-test execution status:      (   0)^IThe previous self-test routine completed
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: ^I^I^I^I^Iwithout error or no self-test has ever 
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: ^I^I^I^I^Ibeen run.
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: Total time to complete Offline 
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: data collection: ^I^I (38100) seconds.
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: Offline data collection
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: capabilities: ^I^I^I (0x7b) SMART execute Offline immediate.
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: ^I^I^I^I^IAuto Offline data collection on/off support.
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: ^I^I^I^I^ISuspend Offline collection upon new
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: ^I^I^I^I^Icommand.
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: ^I^I^I^I^IOffline surface scan supported.
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: ^I^I^I^I^ISelf-test supported.
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: ^I^I^I^I^IConveyance Self-test supported.
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: ^I^I^I^I^ISelective Self-test supported.
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: SMART capabilities:            (0x0003)^ISaves SMART data before entering
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: ^I^I^I^I^Ipower-saving mode.
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: ^I^I^I^I^ISupports SMART auto save timer.
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: Error logging capability:        (0x01)^IError logging supported.
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: ^I^I^I^I^IGeneral Purpose Logging supported.
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: Short self-test routine 
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: recommended polling time: ^I (   2) minutes.
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: Extended self-test routine
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: recommended polling time: ^I ( 255) minutes.
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: Conveyance self-test routine
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: recommended polling time: ^I (   5) minutes.
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: SCT capabilities: ^I       (0x3035)^ISCT Status supported.
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: ^I^I^I^I^ISCT Feature Control supported.
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: ^I^I^I^I^ISCT Data Table supported.
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]:   1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x002f   100   253   051    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]:   3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0027   168   168   021    Pre-fail  Always       -       6575
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]:   4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       10
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]:   5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   200   200   140    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]:   7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x002e   100   253   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]:   9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]:  10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0032   100   253   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]:  11 Calibration_Retry_Count 0x0032   100   253   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]:  12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       8
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: 192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       7
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: 193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       9
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: 196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: 197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: 198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0030   100   253   000    Old_age   Offline      -       0
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: 199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x0032   200   253   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
Jan 16 21:30:42 Tower preclear_disk-start[6075]: 200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate   0x0008   100   253   000    Old_age   Offline      -       0

============================================================================
Jan 18 04:51:10 Tower preclear_disk-diff[24304]: ==
Jan 18 04:51:10 Tower preclear_disk-diff[24304]: == Disk /dev/sdh has been successfully precleared
Jan 18 04:51:10 Tower preclear_disk-diff[24304]: == Ran 1 preclear-disk cycle
Jan 18 04:51:10 Tower preclear_disk-diff[24304]: == Using :Read block size = 8225280 Bytes
Jan 18 04:51:10 Tower preclear_disk-diff[24304]: == Last Cycle's Pre Read Time  : 8:04:15 (68 MB/s)
Jan 18 04:51:10 Tower preclear_disk-diff[24304]: == Last Cycle's Zeroing time   : 8:12:22 (67 MB/s)
Jan 18 04:51:10 Tower preclear_disk-diff[24304]: == Last Cycle's Post Read Time : 15:02:37 (36 MB/s)
Jan 18 04:51:10 Tower preclear_disk-diff[24304]: == Last Cycle's Total Time     : 31:20:29
Jan 18 04:51:10 Tower preclear_disk-diff[24304]: == Total Elapsed Time 31:20:29
Jan 18 04:51:10 Tower preclear_disk-diff[24304]: == Disk Start Temperature: 27C
Jan 18 04:51:10 Tower preclear_disk-diff[24304]: == Current Disk Temperature: 33C, 
Jan 18 04:51:10 Tower preclear_disk-diff[24304]: ============================================================================
Jan 18 04:51:10 Tower preclear_disk-diff[24304]: S.M.A.R.T. error count differences detected after pre-clear 
Jan 18 04:51:10 Tower preclear_disk-diff[24304]: note, some 'raw' values may change, but not be an indication of a problem
Jan 18 04:51:10 Tower preclear_disk-diff[24304]: 19,20c19,20
Jan 18 04:51:10 Tower preclear_disk-diff[24304]: < Offline data collection status:  (0x80)^IOffline data collection activity
Jan 18 04:51:10 Tower preclear_disk-diff[24304]: < ^I^I^I^I^Iwas never started.
Jan 18 04:51:10 Tower preclear_disk-diff[24304]: ---
Jan 18 04:51:10 Tower preclear_disk-diff[24304]: > Offline data collection status:  (0x84)^IOffline data collection activity
Jan 18 04:51:10 Tower preclear_disk-diff[24304]: > ^I^I^I^I^Iwas suspended by an interrupting command from host.
Jan 18 04:51:10 Tower preclear_disk-diff[24304]: 54c54
Jan 18 04:51:10 Tower preclear_disk-diff[24304]: <   1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x002f   100   253   051    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
Jan 18 04:51:10 Tower preclear_disk-diff[24304]: >   1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x002f   200   200   051    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
Jan 18 04:51:10 Tower preclear_disk-diff[24304]: 58c58
Jan 18 04:51:10 Tower preclear_disk-diff[24304]: <   7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x002e   100   253   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
Jan 18 04:51:10 Tower preclear_disk-diff[24304]: >   7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x002e   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
Jan 18 04:51:10 Tower preclear_disk-diff[24304]: 63c63
Jan 18 04:51:10 Tower preclear_disk-diff[24304]: < 193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       9
Jan 18 04:51:10 Tower preclear_disk-diff[24304]: > 193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       10
Jan 18 04:51:10 Tower preclear_disk-diff[24304]: 67c67
Jan 18 04:51:10 Tower preclear_disk-diff[24304]: < 199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x0032   200   253   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
Jan 18 04:51:10 Tower preclear_disk-diff[24304]: > 199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0 
Jan 18 04:51:10 Tower preclear_disk-diff[24304]: 

I ran fdisk -l /dev/sda (through sdd) and this is what i got...

Disk /dev/sda: 2000.3 GB, 2000398934016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 243201 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x189e0ba9

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1               1      243202  1953514552    0  Empty
Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.

Disk /dev/sdb: 2000.3 GB, 2000398934016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 243201 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x189e0bae

/dev/sdb1               1      243202  1953514552    0  Empty

Disk /dev/sdc: 2000.3 GB, 2000398934016 bytes
1 heads, 63 sectors/track, 62016336 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 63 * 512 = 32256 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

/dev/sdc1               2    62016336  1953514552   83  Linux

Disk /dev/sdd: 2000.3 GB, 2000398934016 bytes
1 heads, 63 sectors/track, 62016336 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 63 * 512 = 32256 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

/dev/sdd1               2    62016336  1953514552   83  Linux

I ran preclear w/ the -A option... took about 4 days.  I'm using 4.7 beta w/ MBR 4K aligned option.  Disks sba & sbb were previously formatted in 4.6.1, but re-formatted in 4.7.  I have the feeling I'm not 4K aligned.  Is that true?  What did I miss?  Thanks in advance for any help!

OK, I always thought it would be obvious, but after some reading I have gotten paranoid and now I dont know what to do with these logs.  I completed preclear on a drive and I believe I have the logs needed to tell me if I am safe:

Your drive is fine.

No re-allocated sectors, and none pending re-allocation.

I ran preclear w/ the -A option... took about 4 days.   I'm using 4.7 beta w/ MBR 4K aligned option.  Disks sba & sbb were previously formatted in 4.6.1, but re-formatted in 4.7.  I have the feeling I'm not 4K aligned.  Is that true?  What did I miss?  Thanks in advance for any help!

What do you get with

fdisk -l -u /dev/sdX

The "-u" option will let you see the starting sector number.  If sector 64, you are 4k aligned.

What version of the preclear script are you using?

type:

preclear_disk.sh -v

to see the version number.  Newest version as of this post is .9.9d

Joe L

Your drive is fine.

No re-allocated sectors, and none pending re-allocation.

Great, thanks.

Is there anything obvious to look at?  If there is an issue, will it report a fail vs pass?  Also, is there a log that only contains the preclear log vs using the whole syslog?  If not, it would be a good feature add.

thanks again

This seems odd to me...

I previously had 2 x WD Green 2TB HDD pre-cleared for 5.0b2, and now I am using the latest script

with -A option to pre-clear them for 4.7b1.  I started both at the same time, expecting to take 2 full

days (48 hours), usually 30-33 hrs individually. During step 2 I get

Disk 2

Disk Temperature: 31C, Elapsed Time:  20:20:41
942476+0 records in
942476+0 records out
1976515428352 bytes (2.0 TB) copied, 36267.5 s, 54.5 MB/s
Wrote  1,976,515,428,352  bytes out of  2,000,398,934,016  bytes (98% Done)

And disk 1 is *slow* with

Disk Temperature: 30C, Elapsed Time:  20:24:23
66187+1 records in
66187+1 records out
138805964800 bytes (139 GB) copied, 34047.7 s, 4.1 MB/s
Wrote  138,805,964,800  bytes out of  2,000,398,934,016  bytes (6% Done) 

As you can see, one is almost done (at 55MB/s) while the other is only 6% (at 4.1 MB/s).

Hopefully this is just system related with priority allocation and not an indication of potential HDD problem.