Kernel Thunderbolt Support

Hi all, does anyone know in what way thunderbolt support has been added to unraid?  I ask because I've read that linux can work without the thunderbolt header and even without thunderbolt support on the motherboard at all, which would make things a lot easier.  Otherwise it seems get a Titan Ridge Rev 2.0 card and short the pins.

My motherboard only support TB1, so I also don't know if a TB2 or TB3 card will work or if I'm stuck to TB1.  The problem I've got is the host is a Lenovo P700 and official TB cards have been unavailable for years.  I'm hoping I can get to TB2 at least but even TB1 is fine really.

Details on it here

I've purchased a nice thunderbolt connected 8 bay disk cabinet.  I like this solution because unlike SAS cabinets, thunderbolt has a lot of options available that suit homes better particularly that they're quiet and smaller.  If we can get thunderbolt working on unraid for disk storage, I think there will be a lot more options available to all of us - especially those of us living in apartments.

In the chance that a dev comes across this, I'm keen to help - I don't know what would be valuable though - getting a TB card or something.  I'm sure there are a few of us that would band together for this.

Edit:  This looks promising: https://github.com/utopia-team/Thunderbolt

Thanks all.

Marshalleq

Edited by Marshalleq
  • 2 weeks later...