Trying to add 2 new bigger drives, array wont start back up

Trying to install 2x 14tb WB easystorage, they are being picked up i see them in unraid unassigned devices.  But only 1 of the 2 drives let me do a pre clear and once it finished, it wants me to again. I'll attach logs but is it better if i try to start array then grab logs? 1 Drive is to replace parity the other drive for more space. I've done with more times then i care to count and never had this issue. Again ill attach logs however is most benefiting for trouble shooting

5 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Screenshot just shows a disk still preclearing, if you're having issues with preclear you should post in the appropriate thread for the plugin you're using, preclearing a disk is optional.

i know its not required for new drives but recommended.. My point is 1 pre clear 1 of 2 drives. fine. add to parity and start array. get "array cant start up due to errors"

EDIT:1

the pic was from yesterday..  i now have to pre clear that same drive... again? Maybe ur right and i should seek help in plugin area... but then again if their new which they are.. and if i dont have to re clear.. why am i getting fail to start array when i add these 2 brand new drives to the pool? Think its more then the perclear plugin.. but  then again idk or i wouldnt be asking for help.

unraiid2.thumb.JPG.080bb798e7d3885466bd441a6498bc6e.JPG

Edited by Gizo
add update pics

Again that screenshot only shows that a disk is clearing, nothing more, your description is also not very clear to me, but if what you're trying to do is to replace parity and at the same time add a new array device that's not allowed, you need to do one thing at a time, if it's not that then please post the diagnostics after you get the error you are seing.

4 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Again that screenshot only shows that a disk is clearing, nothing more, your description is also not very clear to me, but if what you're trying to do is to replace parity and at the same time add a new array device that's not allowed, you need to do one thing at a time, if it's not that then please post the diagnostics after you get the error you are seing.

I want to add 2 new drives 14tb. my current parity is 10tb. 1 of the 14tb will replace the 10tb. Then add 10tb+14TB to array. when i added them i just got "array cant startup due to errors"  i can upload the logs... but wouldnt it be better to let the drive per clear yet again, then stop array, assign and then get the error from that log?no?

Just now, itimpi said:

Have you already upgraded the parity slot to use a 14TB drive?    Until you have done that you will not be able to add the data drives you want.

don't know if i did... honestly. can you point me to a guide/ while i google

thx  !

2 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Those diagnostics show you still have a 10TB parity drive.   Until you have replaced that with a 14TB drive and built parity on that you will not be able to add the data drives (as one of them is 14TB).

i tried.. then it say cant start array

edit: maybe im not rebuilding parity right?

edit2: if i do add  the 14tb to parity then move the current parity to a assigned disk/drive thats when i get the cant start array issues

Edited by Gizo
edit 2 give more info

Did you:

• stop array
  • unassign parity drive
  • assign 14TB drive as parity
  • start array to build the new 14TB parity drive

if that is all you did there should be no message saying you cannot start the array.

only when building the 14TB parity drive completes will you be allowed to add the new data drives.

1 minute ago, itimpi said:

Did you:

• stop array
  • unassign parity drive
  • assign 14TB drive as parity
  • start array to build the new 14TB parity drive

if that is all you did there should be no message saying you cannot start the array.

only when building the 14TB parity drive completes will you be allowed to add the new data drives.

1. YES

2. yes moved to old parity to array

3. Assigned 1 of the 14tb as parity (its shows wrong next to it)

4. Cant start array,  cause it says "array startup error failed"

started! thx you all for the help. think i got it going now.  1 last question, why can the other 14tb be assigned but its still wont let me format or change to xfs.. still shows NTFS

edit: seem to fix that issue,no clue how but formating 2nd 14tb now! so  should be good to add to array once parity is re built

again thank you guys for helping a lost nerd

Edited by Gizo