Timemachine Application Support Thread

2 hours ago, wgstarks said:

You might also try just using an unraid share for TM backups.

that thought has crossed my mind, along with start completely over and only create a backup to unRAID first. After verifying that it is executing reliable incremental backups, then create a new local backup and see what happens.

14 minutes ago, Joseph said:

interesting, I'll keep that in mind.... right now, I"m fighting the urge to update to Ventura lol

A re-install is implemented differently from an update but from a users perspective it's exactly the same except that it may take slightly longer. All files are being updated rather than just the changed files.

13 hours ago, wgstarks said:

A re-install is implemented differently from an update but from a users perspective it's exactly the same except that it may take slightly longer. All files are being updated rather than just the changed files.

I know, but how reliable is a local time machine backup... or any time machine backup to get my user data & system settings back? 😬

3 hours ago, Joseph said:

I know, but how reliable is a local time machine backup... or any time machine backup to get my user data & system settings back? 😬

To slightly clarify wgstarks' point: you're not going to restore from backup. Your files, settings and so on will stay exactly where they are and a fresh copy of the operating system will be installed around them. If you wish, you can choose to wipe your whole disk (and thus need to restore from backups), but you'd need to actively select that option.

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, wgstarks said:

Those settings aren't affected. You shouldn't notice any change at all.

Thanks Guys for the clarification. I'm going to try a couple of more things before going that route... meanwhile, I found this on the inter webs to produced a TM log file: log stream --predicate 'subsystem == "com.apple.TimeMachine"' --info --debug

Starting manual backup
Attempting to mount 'smb://TM_MacPro@timemachine._smb._tcp.local./TM_MacPro_SMB'
Mounted 'smb://TM_MacPro@timemachine._smb._tcp.local./TM_MacPro_SMB' at '/Volumes/.timemachine/timemachine._smb._tcp.local./0F0C58C8-0505-4FDE-BB64-4FF393375FB7/TM_MacPro_SMB'
Initial network volume parameters for 'TM_MacPro_SMB' {disablePrimaryReconnect: 0, disableSecondaryReconnect: 0, reconnectTimeOut: 60, QoS: 0x0, attributes: 0x1C}
Configured network volume parameters for 'TM_MacPro_SMB' {disablePrimaryReconnect: 0, disableSecondaryReconnect: 0, reconnectTimeOut: 30, QoS: 0x20, attributes: 0x1C}
Found matching sparsebundle 'MacPro.sparsebundle' with host UUID 'D2487E77-1697-5776-BE5A-28C60EEFC234' and MAC address '(null)'
Not performing periodic backup verification: not needed for an APFS sparsebundle
MacPro.sparsebundle' does not need resizing - current logical size is 3.8 TB (3,798,891,797,504 bytes), size limit is 3.8 TB (3,798,891,797,913 bytes)
Mountpoint '/Volumes/.timemachine/timemachine._smb._tcp.local./0F0C58C8-0505-4FDE-BB64-4FF393375FB7/TM_MacPro_SMB' is still valid
Checking for runtime corruption on '/Volumes/.timemachine/timemachine._smb._tcp.local./0F0C58C8-0505-4FDE-BB64-4FF393375FB7/TM_MacPro_SMB/MacPro.sparsebundle'
Mountpoint '/Volumes/.timemachine/timemachine._smb._tcp.local./0F0C58C8-0505-4FDE-BB64-4FF393375FB7/TM_MacPro_SMB' is still valid
Runtime corruption check passed for '/Volumes/.timemachine/timemachine._smb._tcp.local./0F0C58C8-0505-4FDE-BB64-4FF393375FB7/TM_MacPro_SMB/MacPro.sparsebundle'
Stopping backup because volume '/Volumes/.timemachine/timemachine._smb._tcp.local./0F0C58C8-0505-4FDE-BB64-4FF393375FB7/TM_MacPro_SMB' was unmounted.
Backup cancel was requested.
Failed to attach to '/Volumes/.timemachine/timemachine._smb._tcp.local./0F0C58C8-0505-4FDE-BB64-4FF393375FB7/TM_MacPro_SMB/MacPro.sparsebundle', error: 112 no mountable file systems
Waiting 60 seconds and trying again.
Backup reporting that it needs to be cancelled
Backup canceled (22: BACKUP_CANCELED)

looks like the TM share mounts ok, then gets knocked offline for some unknown reason... thoughts?

2 hours ago, wgstarks said:

All you should need to do is run the sudo command on that share.

I removed the local TM and deleted the unRaid share & had the docker re-create it again. While trying to initiate the first backup, I stumbled onto an issue that makes me think the Mac might need a reboot after the initial backup. I'm waiting for it complete and will try that too.

54 minutes ago, Joseph said:

I removed the local TM and deleted the unRaid share & had the docker re-create it again. While trying to initiate the first backup, I stumbled onto an issue that makes me think the Mac might need a reboot after the initial backup. I'm waiting for it complete and will try that too.

And you ran the command

sudo chown -R <UID>:<GID> /mnt/user/<nameofshare>/

right?

42 minutes ago, joshbgosh10592 said:

Good luck. I've reinstalled the docker container and macOS, checked permissions, everything mentioned in these forums and I've never gotten more than the first backup to run successfully. I've given up.

Thanks man... the TL;DR is that it's been working so far (🤞)  on a Mac that I recently upgraded to Ventura. So I might end up going that route.

6 minutes ago, Joseph said:

Thanks man... the TL;DR is that it's been working so far (🤞)  on a Mac that I recently upgraded to Ventura. So I might end up going that route.

For what it’s worth my M1 mini is working with both this docker and unRAID on Ventura. Of course, it was working on Monterey and Big Sur as well.

14 hours ago, wgstarks said:

For what it’s worth my M1 mini is working with both this docker and unRAID on Ventura. Of course, it was working on Monterey and Big Sur as well.

that's good to know... my thought is an upgrade to Ventura would be similar to a reinstall of the OS as was suggested.

31 minutes ago, Joseph said:

that's good to know... my thought is an upgrade to Ventura would be similar to a reinstall of the OS as was suggested.

You may want to familiarize yourself with the changes in Ventura first if you haven’t already. I know I’m hearing a lot of complaints about System Prefs changing to Settings and it’s hard to find the right setting without having to run a search. I doubt Apple will revert that though so probably going to have to update at some point regardless.

Edit: Nevermind. I see you already have one machine running Ventura.

Edited by wgstarks
58 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

I know I’m hearing a lot of complaints about System Prefs changing to Settings and it’s hard to find the right setting without having to run a search.

I hate the new system prefs too, but I deal with it. Another petty annoyance is they changed "Enter Time Machine" to "Browse Time Machine Backups" I want to enter a time machine!

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...