Help with first time ZFS Unraid setup

Go to solution Solved by Sally-san,

• Solution

Hi, so this is my first ever unraid setup and I spent a few months researching, deciding on my NAS os, how many HDDs I should get, watching tutorials etc etc.

I am currently running:
Unraid: 6.10.1 (trial licence)

ZFS plugin: 2.1.2

CPU: i5 4690k (to be upgraded)
Ram: 16gigs DDR3 (to be upgraded)

Raidz pool: 3 * 16tb Seagate exos

Cache drive: 1tb Sabrent pci-e3

Unraid array: 32gb USB3 flash drive

So followed the "Spaceinvader One" tutorial on creating the boot flash having the correct bios settings getting some started plugins then i followed ZFS tutorial (on the unraid forums) from creating pools to setting compression then setting up directories and docker settings. (I didnt want to bother with snapshots/backups until i had a working NAS). Then i added my flash drive to the array and the SSD to the cache pool, chose the filesystem and hit start array. I formatted the array and cache.

1289893406_UnraidArray.thumb.PNG.307a2ad24763d54f02949436f0198bb3.PNG

Unraid ZFS drives.PNG

Unraid ZFS directories.PNG

Issue 1:
The unraid default shares weren't automatically created and from the "Spaceinvader One" videos i watched it should.

Edit: I realised the default shares werent generate because i changed docker and vm folder directories

Troubleshooting:
- Checking drives are formatted
- Checking my global shares "user shares" are enabled
- Starting from scratch without ZFS. Going to tools -> New config. Removing all drives from zpools, arrays, cache pool and just having 1 HDD in the array. Start array. Format HDD. Still no default shares.
Unraid Shares.PNG

346889641_UnraidShareSettings.PNG.9a33922500a8bedfde1beccbffd62a4f.PNG

Issue 2:
Minor issue, when I'm install the Plex plugin where do I point "Host path 2" and "Host path 3". I watched a tutorial on it. But where would i point them with the context me trying to use ZFS.

Unraid Plex settings.PNG

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've attached syslog where I attempted to start from scratch with ZFS. as well as screenshots of various things i think might be important

Installed Plugins:

Unraid Plugins.PNG

syslog.txt

Edited by Sally-san

Hi @Sally-san,

Issue 1:
The unraid default shares weren't automatically created and from the "Spaceinvader One" videos i watched it should.

Didn't watch the SpaceInvader video. But what I can recommand you meanwhile is going to the Settings->SMB Settings and edit the smb configuration with something like that :

[*Share1*]
	path = /mnt/*YourPool*/*Share1*/
	browseable = yes
	guest ok = no
	writeable = yes
	read only = no
	create mask = 0775
	directory mask = 0775
        write list = *YourUser*
        valid users = *YourUser*	

For each share, copy past the template on a new line and edit *YourPool*, *Share1* and *YourUser*. Remove the * symbol which only used here for a better visibility.

Issue 2:
Minor issue, when I'm install the Plex plugin where do I point "Host path 2" and "Host path 3". I watched a tutorial on it. But where would i point them with the context me trying to use ZFS.

Depends of your config, I'll take my configuration as an example. *YourPool* have a dataset that should be set with "-o recordsize=1M", "-o compression=none" and "-o primarycache=metadata" *Plex* with several subfolders (as recommends Plex) TV Shows, Movies and Transcode.

The Transcode should also be a dataset but set with "-o recordsize=128k". Don't know the exact value for the Transcode folder, but I can't recommand the 1M recordsize for every config. It's better for it to be located onto an SSD and you should then create the dataset on your SSD and create a symlink in the Plex folder.

So: 

*YourPool* -> Plex -> Movies
                   -> TV Shows
                   -> Transcode

Host 2 is relative to your Transcode Folder, so you must set the path of your transcode folder. In my case :

/mnt/*YourPool*/Plex/Transcode

Host 3 is relative to your library folder, so you must set the path of your library folder. In my case :

/mnt/*YourPool*/Plex

Edited by gyto6
  • Like 1
  • 10 months later...