Unraid OS version 6.10.2 available

2 minutes ago, eltonk said:

and there is nothing there saying that your Network cards will not work anymore

English is not my native language but:

On 5/27/2022 at 7:52 PM, limetech said:

There will be users who will lose network connectivity because their NIC is blacklisted

Maybe you missed it.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, ghost82 said:

English is not my native language but:

Maybe you missed it.

Sorry... This is not true.

The release notes shown on web-gui is this one:
1869354001_ScreenShot2022-05-30at11_48_36AM.thumb.png.227ec55631544c2974f47dd9c6b3e8ad.png

And again... I do not think that it is wise to not put such an important note, that the release MOST PROBABLY will break your eth connection, in the release notes that 99% of the users will read.... 

I do not have more time for you. I'm just trying to alert other users about this BAD RELEASE VERSION! 

But unfortunately, most of the users are not ADVANCED users that always read all the forum posts before clicking on the top button suggested by their Unraid web-gui interface to update to this BAD RELEASE.

Edited by eltonk
  • Confused 1
On 5/27/2022 at 1:52 PM, limetech said:

Data Corruption possible with tg3 driver when Intel VT-d is enabled.

The combination of Linux 5.15 kernel, tg3 driver, and Intel VT-d enabled appears to be causing data corruption.  This has been verified on several platforms which include a Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet NIC (note: there may be others).  This release includes the following workaround:

Very early in server startup (rc.S) if Intel VT-d is detected enabled, then the script will unconditionally create the file:

@limetech, I think you need to consider releasing a 6.10.3 version that has a new script that when it detects this condition and the tg3 driver, will terminate the install at that point. 

If someone wants to actually do the install, they could download the zip installation package and do it manually.

There are just too many folks, who seeing that there is an official release available, simply click on the banner link.  (You may have done too good a job of releasing virtually problem-free releases in the past...  I never thought I would say that having a RealTek NIC was a plus!  😈 )

Edited by Frank1940
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3
2 hours ago, eltonk said:

It seems that the network cards are not recognized anymore!!!

THIS UPDATE IS NOT GOOD!!!! STOP! DO NOT UPDATE!!!

same, updated remotely then discovered that remote not working anymore 

connected a display locally to the server and boot with gui

I found that the bonding was set to "Yes" in network setting which resulting network failure, 

I have to  :

1. manually set the Bonding of eth0 to "No" > apply
  2. click "port up" of eth1 > apply
  3. reconfig both network cards
  4. done

currently work great after reconfiguration

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
54 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

There are just too many folks, who seeing that there is an official release available, simply click on the banner link.  (You may have done too good a job of releasing virtually problem-free releases in the past...  I never thought I would say that having a RealTek NIC was a plus!

I think the problem is compounded by the fact that when you click on the ‘I’ button on the Upgrade OS screen the Release notes are a cut down version of the ones in the forum and do not include all the introduction information contained in the forum version telling you what to do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, itimpi said:

I think the problem is compounded by the fact that when you click on the ‘I’ button on the Upgrade OS screen the Release notes are a cut down version of the ones in the forum and do not include all the introduction information contained in the forum version telling you what to do.

On the banner on top of the first page that comes up with the GUI (most likely the MAIN tab), there is a big 'Upgrade now' button in a banner box.  (I know it is there because I usually wait a bit to upgrade until I can read the release notes and a couple of pages of comments in the release thread.)   I don't recall there even being an 'I' button on that banner.  It seems that too many folks simply will click on anything.  (Malware writers often use this same behavior pattern to have the unsuspecting do their bidding...)

• Like 1
Just now, Frank1940 said:

On the banner on top of the first page that comes up with the GUI (most likely the MAIN tab), there is a big 'Upgrade now' button in a banner box.  (I know it is there because I usually wait a bit to upgrade until I can read the release notes and a couple of pages of comments in the release thread.)   I don't recall there even being an 'I' button on that banner.  It seems that too many folks simply will click on anything.  (Malware writers often use this same behavior pattern to have the unsuspecting do their bidding...)

I agree.    

However even if you try to read the version of the Release notes that can be viewed from the GUI (on the Update OS page) it is only a sub-set of the ones in the forum so even those whoa are diligent (but do not visit the forum) cannot see that extra IMPORTANT information.

• Like 1

I'm not saying there's nothing to do to make it better, but:

1. the network "issue" can be fixed, you wont have an unbootable system

2. there are ways and ways to ask things, locking caps and telling users to not update is not the correct method

3. one should always backup the flash drive, limetech writes it everytime in its release notes

4. one should be prepared for bugs, even important: how many times you updated a linux or windows machine and find odd things?

5. one should know how to roll back, whatever os is in use

So, the issue with network?

Easy fix in some minutes, rollback to previous version, the same.

Then complain how much you want, use cap locks and tell users to not upgrade because the system is faulty (without even knowing why), most probably you will be ignored.

btw, in the release notes, even if not extended there are info about the blacklist of tg3

One writes things (release notes) not because he has to spend some time because he has nothing to do.

Edited by ghost82
13 minutes ago, itimpi said:

However even if you try to read the version of the Release notes that can be viewed from the GUI (on the Update OS page) it is only a sub-set of the ones in the forum so even those whoa are diligent (but do not visit the forum) cannot see that extra IMPORTANT information.

That is why I suggested a new release with a script that will prevent anyone else from being blindsided by the blacklisting of the tg3 driver.   Those folks who have already been hit with the issue will either find the solution on their own or we will have to provide guidance to walk them though it.  I just hope something happens soon!

Edited by Frank1940

A small update on the possible tg3 related corruption issue, first I know it's a pain for some users updating and losing the NIC, especially if the server is remote, but because of this some users that are affected are now aware of it and what they need to do to avoid it, also note that there were unrelated changes made to the interface rules config, users that lose network because of bonding and other config issues is unrelated to the tg3 issue, like a couple of users from posts above.

As for the affected servers, these are known to be affected if vt-d is enabled:

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8
IBM/Lenovo x3100 M5
HP ProLiant ML350p Gen8
HP ProLiant ML310e Gen8
HP ProLiant DL20 Gen9

Also most likely affected:

HP ProLiant ML350 Gen9

After a few hours of use in all of these, and if vt-d is enabled, you should start getting a similar error to this repeating in the log:

May 23 18:58:31 unraidSERVER kernel: DMAR: ERROR: DMA PTE for vPFN 0xbdf79 already set (to bdf79003 not 19a5a1803)
May 23 18:58:31 unraidSERVER kernel: ------------[ cut here ]------------
May 23 18:58:31 unraidSERVER kernel: WARNING: CPU: 19 PID: 47787 at drivers/iommu/intel/iommu.c:2408 __domain_mapping+0x2e5/0x390

This can be followed by some corruption, which can be more or less severe, possibly it can also non existent, but for now I wouldn't risk running a server if the above error appears, it should go away if vt-d is disabled.

Because of the NIC being blacklisted there have been posts from several users running Dell servers with a NIC that uses the tg3 driver, as of now I didn't find any signs of the above error or corruption in those servers, it *might* be safe to continue to run those servers with vt-d on, especially if there are no signs of the above error in the logs.

So does this mean tg3 driver is not the problem? I don't known, it's still might best guess, besides a bunch of Intel devices that I can't believe are the source of the problem or there would be a lot mores cases, I only found the tg3 NIC in common in all the affected servers , so it would be a big coincidence, but can't say for sure since I don't have the hardware to test, hopefully it will be made clearer in the coming days.

@Thorstenfound the same exact issue reported for Ubuntu and ZFS, confirming as suspected that this is a general kernel issue, not an Unraid issue.

• Thanks 1
30 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

As for the affected servers, these are known to be affected if vt-d is enabled:

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8
IBM/Lenovo x3100 M5
HP ProLiant ML350p Gen8

You can add : Dell R730xd to that list.

It uses (in my case at least) the Broadcom 5720-T 4 port NIC with the tg3 driver.

As a preventative measure, I've disabled virtualisation. I'll run my VMs on a temporary proxmox machine.

Edited by massiadk
Just now, massiadk said:

You can add : Dell R730xd to that list.

Please read the comments below, it uses the NIC but at least for now there's no evidence it's affected by the corruption issue, or did you see the error logged and/or suspect corruption?

14 hours ago, Merkas said:

device "eth0" does not exist

Cannot find device "eth0”

Dell T110 II had the network card issue. Disable virtualization in the BIOS. It was under CPU->Virtualization. Thanks for the notes on the issue in here.

PowerEdge T110 II
BIOS Revision 2. 10. 0

Broadcom NetXtreme Ethernet Boot Agent v14.2.6

Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries NetXtreme BCM5722 Gigabit Ethernet PCI

The problem is what if you are using the server for virtual machines. On this particular server there is no option to dissable vt-d so in my case should I use the iommu black list option? I don't need any hardware pass through like GPU's but I do need virtualisation. Any advice would be much appreciated.

1 minute ago, sarf said:

On this particular server there is no option to dissable vt-d so in my case should I use the iommu black list option?

Yes, if you don't need hardware pass-through you can just disable IOMMU by adding 'intel_iommu=off to syslinux.cfg, and you can still use the VMs.

3 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Please read the comments below, it uses the NIC but at least for now there's no evidence it's affected by the corruption issue, or did you see the error logged and/or suspect corruption?

I got a work call halfway into reading your update and got sidetracked. I didn't finish reading you post before replying.

Virt was turned off first thing so no. I'm going to re-enable it and add the blank .conf. I'll monitor the logs for the rest of the day. 

On 5/28/2022 at 11:28 PM, vmrkumar said:

Date & Time is ok, matches my time zone Qatar

how to check the Wrong DNS? , i am able to download other docker apps?

having similar error while myserver plugin

image.thumb.png.953a1d064cb27c6490ed7f466c863244.png

Issue got resolved after 2 reboots, now upgraded to 6.10.2, everything is working fine.

9 hours ago, JorgeB said:

bnx2 is fine, even tg3 with Dell might be fine, at least didn't find any issues with one so far.

Any thoughts on the other part of my post where I now only see 2 DMAR:ERRORs on boot? I haven't seen any more of these errors overnight.

Should I continue using 6.10.2?

5 minutes ago, nraygun said:

Any thoughts on the other part of my post where I now only see 2 DMAR:ERRORs on boot?

I wouldn't worry for now, no reason to believe they are related, different hardware and with the other issue those errors are constantly repeating.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

I wouldn't worry for now, no reason to believe they are related, different hardware and with the other issue those errors are constantly repeating.

Thanks for the quick response. I was getting a ton more of those errors before I blanked out tg3.conf.

I just got a weird response from the system - the logs would not display and I could not get to the command line. Also, the login area said something about "unraid-api" problems and had an option to restart so I did.

I'll just keep an eye on things. If I get another DMAR error, I'll just roll back.

1 hour ago, JorgeB said:

Yes, if you don't need hardware pass-through you can just disable IOMMU by adding 'intel_iommu=off to syslinux.cfg, and you can still use the VMs.

Watching from the sideline because my Gen8 still has its original non VTd-capable Celeron processor, but wouldn't a better solution be to disable VT-d automatically via syslinux.cfg when the problematic configuration is detected instead of disabling the NIC? It would still take some users by surprise, of course, but at least they'd still be able to connect to their servers.

• Upvote 1
Just now, John_M said:

but wouldn't a better solution be to disable VT-d automatically via syslinux.cfg when the problematic configuration is detected instead of disabling the NIC?

I don't know if that's possible, but if it is, yes, I agree it would be better.

• Like 1