No Network after 6.10.2

Go to solution Solved by Frank1940,

Hi all,

Just updated to 6.10.2 and, not, my host is unreachable. After stealing a TV from another room, OS seems to boot fine but I cannot get my box to talk to the network. Upon booting, the Unraid login screen (CLI) says IPv4 Not Set and IPv6 Not Set. I checking my network.cfg and it showed DHCP, Bonding, and Bridging as "yes" with no IP, gateway, or mask set. I tried setting all three to no and setting the IP, gateway, and mask manually but was still unable to reach the box.

During boot, I did catch the wording: "Device 'eth0' does not exist. Cannot find device 'eth0'" (image attached). Is that because of binding/bridging?

I couldn't imagine the process of a reboot borking my NIC... Please let me know what I can try to fix this issue.

Thank you,

Wes

IMG20220528120917.jpg

3 minutes ago, wes.crockett said:

Does this mean i need to take that USB out and plug it in to another system? Or can I copy it to a new USB... i assume i would need to (learn how to) mount the new USB to do this...

Quick push of the Power Button on the server will usually start a clean shutdown.  A Long push  (>5 seconds) will force a shutdown.

• Upvote 1

Hallelujah! Disabling Intel Virtualization did fix the NIC issue and I am able to access my UI via XXXXX.unraid.net. All docker containers up and accessible too (just validating that everything is as it should be.)

I have attached my diagnostics (post fix).

With Intel Virtualization disabled in the BIOS, I assume I cannot run VMs on this platform. Is that correct? (I'm not currently running any, but just want to make sure I know the limits currently.)

Is there a patch planned to fix this issue?

kuiper-diagnostics-20220528-1301.zip

7 minutes ago, wes.crockett said:

Hallelujah! Disabling Intel Virtualization did fix the NIC issue and I am able to access my UI via XXXXX.unraid.net. All docker containers up and accessible too (just validating that everything is as it should be.)

I have attached my diagnostics (post fix).

With Intel Virtualization disabled in the BIOS, I assume I cannot run VMs on this platform. Is that correct? (I'm not currently running any, but just want to make sure I know the limits currently.)

Is there a patch planned to fix this issue?

kuiper-diagnostics-20220528-1301.zip 126.22 kB · 0 downloads

Virtualization can be enabled but VT-d specifically needs to be disabled.  If you don't have a VT-d option like I do not then add this to the syslinux config by clicking on the flash drive under Main.

intel_iommu=off

Then reboot.

Screenshot shows where to put it.

Virtualization will work if you need it in the future but you will not be able to passthrough devices to the VM

Screenshot 2022-05-28 150754.png

Edited by jmztaylor
  • Thanks 1
Just now, jmztaylor said:

Virtualization will work if you need it in the future but you will not be able to passthrough devices to the VM

OK. Cool. Mine did not have VT-d so I will add that to syslinux. Later, I will go back in and enable virtualization in the BIOS. I do plan to do GPU passthrough eventually, so hopefully this does get fixed in a future version.

I just took out my USB drive, put in my pc, and added the empty file as stated above and I am back online. I moved from my 4 port broadcom card to the integrated intel nic as well.  I just happened to be moving my unraid to the garage, and was already on 6.10, didn't think this minor update would ruin my saturday evening....  I have had no issues with all RC updates since 6.9.2.  I think the release notes need to be updated to state a little more than "startup: blacklist tg3 by default if Intel VT-d is enabled".  I know what it means now, but who typically knows that tg3 is a broadcom nic driver?

Thank you all for the great help!!!

• Upvote 1
13 hours ago, wes.crockett said:

With vt-d disabled you can still run VMs, just not passtrhough any device to one.

FYI there are no signs of any issues with your server, also so far didn't find any on any Dell, it's been mostly HP servers and one IBM/Lenovo, so it *might* be OK to use vt-d with this NIC with a Dell, but if you can leave vt-d disabled for now just in case and until we get to the bottom of what's causing this.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Gorby said:

I was just wondering if anyone knows if the corruption issue has been fixed or how to tell if your system has this corruption issue and it's safe to re-enable the TG3 driver? 

Your server also isn't showing any signs of corruptions so far, and it's a different model than the known affected ones, so it might be OK, again until we find out exactly what's causing this it's difficult to say if it's safe or not, best to be on the safe side for now.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, JorgeB said:

With vt-d disabled you can still run VMs, just not passtrhough any device to one.

FYI there are no signs of any issues with your server, also so far didn't find any on any Dell, it's been mostly HP servers and one IBM/Lenovo, so it *might* be OK to use vt-d with this NIC with a Dell, but if you can leave vt-d disabled for now just in case and until we get to the bottom of what's causing this.

Thank you for the follow up. My BIOS doesn't have a VT-d setting (just a main 'Intel Virtualization' one.) I'll leave it disabled until a future patch.