(Solved) ? about using USB Creator with original usb and key file

Go to solution Solved by FQs19,

I've had many problems with my server this year and I found yet another one. I'm hoping that through my recent troubleshooting I've found the original culprit to all of my problems. 

My issues started with CRC errors, so I switched to a new case without a backplane. During the transfer from one case to another and then parity checks to repair errors, I lost my cache pool. After finally getting that back up, I started having long boot times and occasional network issues. 

During my recent troubleshooting, I noticed my motherboard post codes hanging on CPU Code7 and Test CMOS. I'm in touch with Asus to try and find what the problem is exactly, but I think my motherboard got messed up with a recent BIOS update I did to help with my previous issues. I've tried to use the second bios and even a different firmware version, but I still have the same issues. Which is why I submitted a ticket with Asus for help. 

At this point I'm not able to get my networking to work. To try and eliminate my boot drive as a problem, I used the USB Creator to format my original usb boot drive and install the clean version of 6.9.2. I verified that there were no errors on my boot using using EASEUS and chkdsk. 

I then transferred only my original key file to the config folder. 

After installing it into my server and booting, I was expecting to use user = root and the password to be blank.

However, leaving the password field blank gave me a wrong user name or password error. I had to use my original root user password to get into unraid. 

Is that right?

Shouldn't a clean install of Unraid with just my original key file ask me to make a strong root user password after first logging in? Or does the key file hold your root user credentials?

Edited by FQs19
Topic Solved
5 hours ago, FQs19 said:

Shouldn't a clean install of Unraid with just my original key file ask me to make a strong root user password after first logging in?

With v6.9.x it won't even ask you to create a password, and can't see how it would ask for the old password after just copying the key.

4 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

With v6.9.x it won't even ask you to create a password, and can't see how it would ask for the old password after just copying the key.

I've tried it twice and both times it required me to use my old password to log in to unraid. 

I don't want to try another usb drive since that will make my old boot drive unusable for unraid. 

Do I have to transfer my key file over to the drive to just test if networking works on a clean boot drive?

• FQs19 changed the title to (Solved) ? about using USB Creator with original usb and key file