How hot is normal - 5700G

boomam

Hi,  

I just upgraded the CPU in my home server from a 3200g, which idled between 38 & 42c.

This is in a Thermaltake Core V21 mATX case, stock front fan (200mm), 140mm phantec exhaust, and the Wraith Prism from a 3900x.  

Same setup, new thermal paste (thermal grisly), and I'm now seeing idle temps in the 52-59*c range.  

Turned off PBO, but not a lot of difference has been seen, if any.  

Pretty sure my thermal paste application is fine - same as I've done for years, thin spread across the entire IHS up-to about 1mm from the edge, then a small "half a grain of rice" blob in the middle to help fill any gaps when it gets squashed by the HSF.  

Normal temps for a 5700G? Or something amiss?  

Thanks!

I have a 5700G in a desktop machine (not an unRAID server) and it also idles in low to mid 50s. I was also concerned at first and turned off PBO and made other adjustments that did nothing. Research indicated this is normal for this CPU.

Interestingly I have a 5600G in another machine and it idles in the high 30s to low 40s. Different MB manufacturer and BiOS so that may have something to do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Hoopster
1 hour ago, SirReal63 said:

My 5700G idles in the low 30's C.  This is with a stock Wraith Stealth cooler. The room it is in is typically about 80 F this time of year.  Case is a  Cooler Master HAF XB EVO, this pic was taken a few minutes ago.

145776607_Screenshot2022-05-29at10-26-21Tower_Dashboard.png.1d79e0adde61fdb7cdf66acd9445c052.png

How is yours idling below everyone else's?

Do you have the right sensor selected? The k10 sensor?

As the other CPU sensor shows mid-30's for me too.

1 hour ago, SirReal63 said:

I am using this driver, nct6775, cpu temp is nct6795.  My IR temp gun agrees with it.  K10temp shows 50.1 but that does not correspond to the actual cpu temp.

ok, then that'll be why.

The NCT6755 is a sensor on the socket, not the CPU. Technically correct for what its measuring, but not the same as the cpu die temp.

I'm guessing the others, like me, are using the K10 temp (the on-die sensor), as your NCT temp is the same ball park as my NCT temp, so your temps are basically the same. 🙂

Thanks for the feedback though, helped understand the difference as i was like 'eh!? how!?' 😛 

2 minutes ago, SirReal63 said:

My IR temp gun agrees with it.

it can't unless you use a drill an open the processor 🙂

The AMD Ryzen contains several chips and measures temps at different points of the chiplet.

the ~50° are inside the cpu itself, the ~30° are taken from the covering metal heat spreader. Your thermometer can only see this one.

So Folk, stop worrying, both temps are correct. Unraid reports the higher one as "CPU Temp", the lower one is shown as "Motherboard Temp" with my ASUS Board.

And, according to the AMD Specs, unless you dont reach more than 90°, there is absolutly no problem or slowdown.

For higher ranged AMD Ryzens there should be a 3rd temp available because they have 2 CPU chips within the chiplet. But I have no idea how to read both of them, you only get temp from chip #1

It is good to learn more.  For the longest time I had no temp readings, just fan speeds.  Unraid detected the nct drivers so they are what I used.  I can say I love this processor as opposed to the 2700x that it replaced.  Faster, less power and heat and I have yet to put it under a considerable load.

1 hour ago, MAM59 said:

For higher ranged AMD Ryzens there should be a 3rd temp available because they have 2 CPU chips within the chiplet. But I have no idea how to read both of them, you only get temp from chip #1

FYI - Not sure how to expose it on Linux, but hwinfo on Windows (for my 3900x) reports 8x different temp sensors on the CPU (CPU Tctl/Tdie, CPU Die Average, CCD1, CCD2, L3 Average, L3 Cache CCD1:1, L3 Cache CCD1:2,L3 Cache CCD2:1, L3 Cache CCD2:2) - and obviously the motherboard reports its own (from the socker sensor).  

Shame Linux support for the HW sensors is a little behind Windows. 😞