re-enabling a drive

4 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

However, you can always ask questions, we seldom bite. 🙂

Noting that for later, just in case :D 

Thanks - I guess I felt I shouldn't have to 'rebuild' a drive if I had only popped it out literally 2 seconds... like I wanted to just say "I know it's as it should be, so just enable it!". But I'll follow the instructions for rebuilding...

2 minutes ago, banterer said:

I felt I shouldn't have to 'rebuild' a drive if I had only popped it out literally 2 seconds... like I wanted to just say "I know it's as it should be, so just enable it!".

Well, that's a noble sentiment, and it could be true, but it's more likely false. Unraid's realtime parity means that when a drive is missing, it's immediately emulated. So any writes, even just to metadata, or closing an open file, will happen on the emulated drive and be out of sync with what's on the physical drive that was removed without being unmounted.

Blessing and a curse.

Be careful with array drives. Don't accidentally remove drives without stopping the array. 🤣

It would be cool if it stored an incremental list of changes made to the emulated disk, so it could just apply those changes (probably none in this case), rather than the however many hours rebuild I'm looking at. But then I guess that might have issues of its own I haven't really thought about hard enough. And maybe being dumb and pulling out the wrong disk is a bit of an, ummm "edge case" anyway ;) 

8 minutes ago, banterer said:

It would be cool if it stored an incremental list of changes made to the emulated disk,

Where?

11 minutes ago, banterer said:

that might have issues of its own I haven't really thought about hard enough.

Yeah, it's a decent concept, and could be workable with enough thought and effort, but...

12 minutes ago, banterer said:

pulling out the wrong disk

is easy enough to avoid, and I'm guessing you won't do it again.

The effort to implement is way down on the list of time / cost / benefit for improvements to Unraid.

I'd rather see them work on documentation.