6.9 to 6.10 Upgrade Errors - Restore from Backup

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Good day all,

I apologize if these answers are easily available somewhere else, but I didn't have much luck finding it.

Last week I attempted to upgrade to 6.10.0 from 6.9.X (I'm sorry I don't recall the version I was on) and it failed. Prior to performing the upgrade I went to Main and selected to make a Flash Backup which I saved on my local PC. Once the machine rebooted I was met with an error message: bzroot-gui checksum error which after doing some research I was able to resolve by enter the following argumentsprior to boot: intel_iommu=on iommu=pt

My server came back online and I saw an iterative update to 6.10.1. I decided to update because perhaps it would resolve any other potential problems I may experience but this time I was met with a different error (and unfortunately I did not do another backup): kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0). After some research I found advise stating that I should copy the config folder somewhere safe and run a chkdsk /f on the drive. That yielded no change when I tried to boot again and I feel like at this point my only option is to restore the backup I took while on 6.9.X, but I'm not sure how to go about that.

I'm sorry that I do not have more details to provide, but if there's anything I can give to help resolve my issue I will do my best to find it.

Thanks in advanced for any assistance.

10 hours ago, IT_Feldman said:

when the instructions say to restore the files from the flash backup am I just copying and pasting them from the zip folder?

Yes.

10 hours ago, IT_Feldman said:

Then based on the instructions in your link after I run the make_executable file do I then copy the Config file over?

No need if it's already a booting flash, but it will never hurt.

I was able to bring myself back online. Turns out that not only was the OS upgrade a problem wreaking havoc on my system, but it revealed that my flash drive was also not usable anymore. After trying to recreate the drive using the USB Tool I would get an error message once the process was complete, and then if I attempted to copy the config file over it would stop saying I did not have write permissions to the drive. 

So after getting a new flash drive and following your instructions I was able to get back up and running! Thank you!

• Like 1