Update UnRaid manually ???

Go to solution Solved by AnneMarie,

Hi,

I have unraid installed and working within my own LAN  and I have no internet,...  I live on a farm in the middle of nowhere 🙂  ....

I visit a friend occasionally that does have internet, so my question is ........

Is there a way for me to download the software I need while visiting my friend, and return home and update unraid ?

My unraid server is a rack mount and has 12 installed hard drives so it is quite heavy which precludes me from just taking the server with me..

Anne

I'm assuming that everything is up to date.  Even if you're not updating the OS you should be keeping everything else up to date, especially plugins.  Any random container though will not require an update in order to function on any version of the OS

59 minutes ago, Squid said:

I'm assuming that everything is up to date.  Even if you're not updating the OS you should be keeping everything else up to date, especially plugins.  Any random container though will not require an update in order to function on any version of the OS

He has no internet at home and hopes to update both Unraid plus dockers and plugins at a friend's house using only the flashdrive.

I do not think it is possible. Maybe the plugins ?

For the containers though, the "program" is installed on the drives themselves.

42 minutes ago, ChatNoir said:

I do not think it is possible. Maybe the plugins ?

Boot with the USB.  Array won't start because of all the missing drives etc.

Update the OS and update the plugins

Nothing you can do with containers unless the array starts.

Thanks to all those that have replied.

For clarity.......

I am at my sisters home this weekend, 350 miles from the farm,  and she has internet...

No my server is NOT up to date,, OS, plugins, dockers, etc. .

Last time the server was updated was about a year ago, I took it apart and lugged that heavy beast here to my sisters,

Someone mentioned cell phone, Yes I can use my cell phone for internet but with sporadic results and a speed of about 15 to 35kb, when it works.

I just thought someone might know how to download update files to my computer ,

have unraid think my computer was the internet ,

and update unraid OS, plugins, dockers, etc from the files on my computer . ??????

Anne

You can probably use your Smartphone as an Internet hotspot.   Here is a video describing how to to it.

Now, I would get the Unraid OS updates on a flash drive (Your sister could download Unraid OS update files and send them on a flash drive)  and just copy over all the bz* files after unzipping.    I think most of the rest of the files to update plugins and Dockers are fairly small as they don't seem to take a lot of time to download.  Speed is not really crucial as these are install files and not something you have to interact with. 

Frank1940.... I have tried to update using my phone, however as I said.. The signal is sporadic.  I may have a signal for 10 minutes at 15kb and then it dies and then no signal for 2 or 3 hours. When the download starts it shows multiple hours for time, which would be ok, but the signal rarely lasts for more than 10 or 15 minutes before it drops out.

10 hours ago, AnneMarie said:

Frank1940.... I have tried to update using my phone, however as I said.. The signal is sporadic.  I may have a signal for 10 minutes at 15kb and then it dies and then no signal for 2 or 3 hours. When the download starts it shows multiple hours for time, which would be ok, but the signal rarely lasts for more than 10 or 15 minutes before it drops out.

🤕  So Sorry this won't work.  I wanted make a point of mentioning it since a lot of folks are not aware of the cell phone hotspot option.

Edited by Frank1940

Hello everybody  &  Limetech ....  Does anyone know if there is a way for me to update the server without having a connection to the internet,

or am I as the saying goes spitting into the wind......?

I thought there might be a way to download all the files needed to update everything on my unraid server, to my computer, and

somehow fool the unraid server into thinking my computer located on my LAN is the internet,  and use the files on my computer to update the server??

I am 85 years old and do not relish the idea of unhooking the server from the rack and carting it to my sisters every time I want to update.. that sucker is heavy even when I take out the drives...  🙂

Thanks ever so much for any assistance,

Anne

@bonienl and @ich777-- Any advice for AnneMarie?  Surely, there must be other Unraid users who have an air-gapped server-- for security if nothing else!  Would a Feature Request be required?

EDIT:  The updating that I am referring to is that for plugins and Dockers.   How to update the Unraid OS version is a simple task that could be done a couple of ways. 

Edited by Frank1940
31 minutes ago, AnneMarie said:

Does anyone know if there is a way for me to update the server without having a connection to the internet

1. From a computer that does have access to the Internet, go to the UnRAID downloads page and download the latest version of unRAID.  This will download a *.zip file. 
  2. If necessary, transfer that *.zip file to a computer that has access to your unRAID server (if the computer from which you downloaded unRAID zip file does not have access to the unRAID server). 
  3. Extract the zip file and copy all the bz* files to the unRAID server USB flash boot drive overwriting the existing files. 
  4. Reboot your server and you are upgraded.

Unfortunately, this does not help with plugin and docker container upgrades and there is not a similar method for doing these upgrades.

Edited by Hoopster
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Just now, AnneMarie said:

Anyone have an Idea on docker and plugins updates ??

You could do plugin updates if your friend would allow you to boot your flash drive on a PC he owns which would allow you download updates to plugins you use.  

Cannot think of a solution for docker containers :( 

Could you please be a little more clear on how I would go about doing that, such as where do I get the plugin updates and how do I know what to download etc... thanks

I take my laptop when I visit my sister so having a computer to use is no problem

Edited by AnneMarie
2 minutes ago, AnneMarie said:

Could you please be a little more clear on how I would go about doing that, such as where do I get the plugin updates and how do I know what to download etc... thanks

If you can boot your Unraid flash on your friends hardware then you just go the plugins tab in the Unraid GUI and click for the Check for Updates option, and after that completes the Update option for any plugins that show they have updates.   The plugin updates are installed onto the flash drive ready for when you later boot your own server using that flash drive.

2 minutes ago, AnneMarie said:

ohhhhh, you are assuming my sister also has an unraid server to plug in my thumbdrive.... NO such luck

Any pc will do - are you saying your sister does not have a pc?    It does not need to normally be running Unraid - it will just be temporarily booted into,Unraid so you can update files on the flash.   The current contents of the pc will not be touched so when the Unraid flash drive is removed it will revert to its norma OS.

4 minutes ago, AnneMarie said:

OK,  I take my laptop with me to my sisters, plugin the thumb drive and boot my laptop.

This will allow me to download  plugin updates????

Yes as long as you boot the laptop into Unraid and the laptop has internet access at that point.   You can use the standard Unraid facilities for updating plugins and the Unraid OS release as they are installed onto the flash drive.

This will not work for containers as they are not installed to the flash drive, but to a hard drive on your Unraid server.