6.9.2 - Network Issues

Go to solution Solved by joecool169,

So I have been struggling with some very strange issues. Things like docker containers becoming inaccessible through the webui. I recently spent 2 1/2 days trying to get wordpress docker to work. At 1 point my internal usb adaptor seemed to fail. I had some strange issues like unraid seemed to lose some of it's settings. For example I refreshed the unraid gui and I was no longer in dark mode. Many many other things acted strange. When I attempted to reboot the server could not find the usb flash. So I moved the flash to a port on the back of the motherboard and most things have seemed fine since.

But tonight I decided to try and troubleshoot my nextcloud docker container. With the help of smdion in the discord we figured out that Unraid has some very strange network things going on. So I'll attach a diagnostic. If I can answer any more questions please lmk. 

The wordpress docker is hosting the website for my small business which I prefer to keep active as much as possible.

joeserver-diagnostics-20220606-2051.zip

Don't see anything strange with the network config, though you are using eth2 as the main NIC with bonding and there's no link on the other two NICs, just to rule out some issues with that I would suggest setting eth2 as eth0 and disabling bonding to see if it makes any difference.

So step by step here is what I did.

Stop docker

Remove bond

wait 20 minutes - server never came back on network

plug keyboard and monitor into server - won't wake up

hit reset button - choose unraid gui from boot menu

local host unable to access - wait 15 minutes - started working

switch eth 2 and eth 0 in unraid gui

reboot into gui

wait 10 minutes for it to work again - check network access on unraid ip - working

reboot to no gui - unraid never got an ip address - had a 169.xxx something address

type reboot

got usb error

reboot again - everything works - still no access to nextcloud webgui

1 hour ago, joecool169 said:

Also EVERYTIME I change any network setting this happens!

That's completely unrelated, looks more like a board issue, also make sure you set the active NIC to eth0, if there are issues you can always delete/rename /boot/config/network.cfg to get back to default, with bonding enabled.

4 hours ago, JorgeB said:

That's completely unrelated, looks more like a board issue, also make sure you set the active NIC to eth0, if there are issues you can always delete/rename /boot/config/network.cfg to get back to default, with bonding enabled.

I do not know Linux that well, but I can tell you changing the network settings in unraid is almost guaranteed to cause the system not to boot. Also seems to sometimes cause other various issues, like the webui going from dark to light without me changing the setting.

In any case, I'm using eth0 now with bonding disabled. Should I start a thread in docker containers about why I still can't access nextcloud docker? It sure feels like a network issue.

On 6/7/2022 at 5:09 AM, JorgeB said:

Don't see anything strange with the network config, though you are using eth2 as the main NIC with bonding and there's no link on the other two NICs, just to rule out some issues with that I would suggest setting eth2 as eth0 and disabling bonding to see if it makes any difference.

It seems like I have all my issues sorted out. Changing these network settings you suggested fixed the network issues.

Deleting and reinstalling the nextcloud container fixed my issues there - still not sure what was wrong with it

And my usb flash was failing for the 3rd time. Not sure why these do not last, first one was a cheap micro center one, the last 2 were Samsung's

But now I can not choose br0 as a network in my docker container configs and therefore can't select a custom ip address for pihole.

• Solution
4 hours ago, joecool169 said:

It seems like I have all my issues sorted out. Changing these network settings you suggested fixed the network issues.

Deleting and reinstalling the nextcloud container fixed my issues there - still not sure what was wrong with it

And my usb flash was failing for the 3rd time. Not sure why these do not last, first one was a cheap micro center one, the last 2 were Samsung's

But now I can not choose br0 as a network in my docker container configs and therefore can't select a custom ip address for pihole.

I figured this out on my own,

I went to unraid settings, stopped docker, and then checked the box for custom data network br0

• Like 1