Are plugins able to add support for HW raid controllers to monitor temps and stats of individual disks in hw raid?

Yes and I never implied that it was.  I thought I was pretty clear.

My question was if I plugins could support adding temp/smart/etc monitoring to the Array UI or not.

I am not confusing RAID (which I am doing in hardware) with unRAID's normal array operation (which is not RAID and does not meet my needs for performance, and data security)

19 hours ago, ddumont said:

My question was if I plugins could support adding temp/smart/etc monitoring to the Array UI or not.

Technically yes though doing so may be challenging. The plugin system/architecture is poorly documented at best. Adding new pages/tabs of the webui is reasonably simple, modifying or extending existing ones is quite a bit more complex and more hacky. For prior art on displaying drive related info the source for the unassigned drives plugin or the zfs plugin might be a good place to start.

19 hours ago, ddumont said:

I am not confusing RAID (which I am doing in hardware) with unRAID's normal array operation (which is not RAID and does not meet my needs for performance, and data security)

As for why this was brought up, The unRAID OS is not really designed with the usage of traditional RAID arrays or other storage architectures beyond the core unRAID array (looking at you ZFS) in mind. The ability to use btrfs raid pools is a rather new addition and still designed in service of a main unRAID array. When questions pop up about other RAID levels and hardware RAID it tends to be from newer uses who dont really understand what unRAID is and how its is meant to be used. 

Edited by primeval_god
  • Like 1
On 6/7/2022 at 6:57 PM, ddumont said:

Yes and I never implied that it was.  I thought I was pretty clear.

Can you post diagnostics so we can see how the disks are presented.

It looks like they show up as drives. (but each entry is a 4x drive RAID 10 array)

Their utility is a self contained binary and will list the devices and a ton of information about them including health.   I was hoping to pipe some of that health data to any place unRaid currently monitors drive health. 

On that subject, can I get unraid to send emails on drive health events?

11 hours ago, primeval_god said:

For prior art on displaying drive related info the source for the unassigned drives plugin or the zfs plugin might be a good place to start.

I've been poking around for a bit, looking at those plugins in the CA interface...   I don't see any links to github or something.

The plugin forum has some stickies in it with links to plugin doc and conversations about a template... but I wasn't seeing a good place to just look and see what a plugin is.

What is a plg file?   is it a renamed tgz?

Is there something like a https://gitpod.io workspace that can be used as a demo with common build process or something? I'm curious to play around.

4 hours ago, ddumont said:

answering myself a little here...  this seems like a good example plugin with source: https://github.com/theone11/serverlayout_plugin

plg files define the install of the plugin and the tgz are normally packages that have the install options, i.e. binaries, gui pages etc.

Here is a link to one of my plugins.

https://github.com/SimonFair/unraid.iSCSI

I am playing with cli64 for Areca raid controller but disks are in HBA mode to see if I can automatically do the drive mappings for the smart extras file as well as looking to see if I can resolve an issue with spin downs., Unraid has a way to get temps etc from disks attached via a raid controller but they need to show as individual disks in the array.

You may have issues of the binary needs to be updated with different releases to support the kernel drivers etc.

From the research I did, the driver is already in the kennel for a while now for their utility to use.  Most os' only need their binary to see the drives, smart stats, temps, array configs, etc.

I already played with it in unRAID and it seemed to work well.

To unRAID, it looks like with this controller the built arrays show up as single drives.

8 hours ago, ddumont said:

From the research I did, the driver is already in the kennel for a while now for their utility to use.  Most os' only need their binary to see the drives, smart stats, temps, array configs, etc.

Yes the driver will be included in stock unraid, what I meant was the binary ssacli vers may not.be compatable in the future witb libraries etc.