Added an NVMe drive to a 2xNVMe Cache Pool, partition didn't increase in size.

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hi all.

Running 6.10.2, and just purchased the pro version of Unraid today.  Just now hit my first real stumbling block in the configuration. 😅(I'm taking some time to slowly work through plugin and docker configuration... but it's getting there).

I have a board with 3 NVMe drive slots on it. Originally I configured a cache pool with two 1TB NVMe drives in it, and one single-drive 1TB NVMe in a separate cache just for speed. This worked as expected with 2x1TB pools, one protected with RAID1 and one unprotected.

After reconsidering, I decided to move the single drive into the protected NVMe pool, so I broke down the drive out of the separate pool, reformatted it to btrfs with the unassigned devices plugin, and added it to the new pool. However, I'm still showing with both the GUI and dh -h that that cache pool partition is only 1tb in size. I re-balanced the pool and forced RAID1, and even scrubbed the pool, but can't get the size to get to the 1.5tb I expected to see as a "mirrored" 3-drive array.

Is there something else i need to do to re-size the partition? Otherwise it seems to be working fine, there is data copying over to that drive in the pool during the rebalance, but it's almost as if it thinks it's in raid1c3 mode - but leaving drive 2 almost empty.

Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks.

Diagnostic files are attached.

image.png

Edited by Alyred
Diagnostics file no longer necessary, removed.

Probably need to wait for @JorgeB as the expert in this area, but from what I can see there are only 2 drives being shown in the nvme_protected pool at the btrfs level while I can see in the pool configuration you have 3 drives assigned.   Feels like something has gone wrong in adding the 3rd drive?    Maybe instead of formatting the drive to btrfs before adding it you should have used the wipefs command instead to remove all vestiges of the previous file system?

25 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Yes, only two devices are in the pool, suggest doing:

-stop array

-unassign nvme2n1

-start array

-stop array

-wipe that device with

blkdiscard -f /dev/nvme2n1

-assign it back to the pool

-start array

If it still doesn't work post new diags.

Thank you both.  Interestingly, nvme2n1 was actually the original second drive that was assigned to the protected pool, and nvme0n1 was the drive I recently added. So it looks like something went wrong when I built the pool at the beginning. I'll give these steps a shot and report back.

Thanks, that got the drive working! Thanks for the clear steps.

Unfortunately... my Plex container now doesn't see the share it was pointing to properly. This appears to be a permissions issue with the shares however. Not sure why that came up but I did just upgrade from 6.9 to 9.10.2 so maybe something shook loose in the AD connection config.

Exciting times!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, JorgeB said:

There have been some reports of permission changes with docker and AD after updating, so you're probably on the right track.

Thanks, I looked into it a while longer last night and got the permissions set back to nobody:users on the folder structure which fixed that for the Plex docker (which is now re-running the thumbnail previews and skip intros on all that "new media" it found (sigh) so I'm just going to let that finish again.

That, of course, broke the shares from my Windows workstations using AD credentials. So I think that'll be my next "figure it out" project on this new server. Previously it was running almost against the domain almost as an IDp and if the domain validated it, the access was allowed, but that doesn't appear to be working anymore with the ACLs in the directories still being there but not being honored. I'll have to dig into the forums when I get done with the workday.

Again, I appreciate both of your assistance!

• Like 1