Parity error (I think)

so after i moved my server my usb flash drive failed on me along with a sata cable for my 

Parity drive two. after getting another flash drive i booted the server up with only one 

Parity drive. after that flash drive failed shortly after I'm on my 3rd usb flash drive and i also got a new sata cable. but my drives are gray instead of green so i did a Parity Check with the "Write corrections to parity" check box off it found errors so i ran it again with Write corrections to parity on but it found no errors.

Screenshot 2022-06-08 140536.png

Screenshot 2022-06-08 140403.png

Edited by James_Darkness
1 hour ago, James_Darkness said:

did a Parity Check with the "Write corrections to parity" it found errors

So you had it correct parity errors?

ran it again with Write corrections to parity on but it found no errors.

Then there were no parity errors because they had already been corrected on that previous check?

The reason I asked about rebooting is because I was hoping you had not. Syslog resets on reboot so we have lost all syslog information about those previous parity checks.

2 hours ago, James_Darkness said:

I even now did a 3rd parity check

Don't reboot. Do another non-correcting parity check without rebooting and then post diagnostics so we can compare them.

On 6/11/2022 at 6:25 AM, trurl said:

The reason I asked about rebooting is because I was hoping you had not. Syslog resets on reboot so we have lost all syslog information about those previous parity checks.

Don't reboot. Do another non-correcting parity check without rebooting and then post diagnostics so we can compare them.

ok and it didn't find any errors again if its not parity could it be something else 

unraidnas-diagnostics-20220612-1738.zip

I think the most likely explanation is you had parity errors for some reason, you corrected those, and now parity is correct.

One thing that can cause inconsistent parity checks is bad RAM, but it looks like your parity checks are consistent now.

Have you been following the discussions on the 6.10 release threads as it relates to Dell and NICs? Your syslog seems to have a lot of dumps related to that on startup, don't know if it is relevant or not. Did you upgrade Unraid during the parity checks in question?

3 hours ago, trurl said:

I think the most likely explanation is you had parity errors for some reason, you corrected those, and now parity is correct.

One thing that can cause inconsistent parity checks is bad RAM, but it looks like your parity checks are consistent now.

Have you been following the discussions on the 6.10 release threads as it relates to Dell and NICs? Your syslog seems to have a lot of dumps related to that on startup, don't know if it is relevant or not. Did you upgrade Unraid during the parity checks in question?

I know why I had parity errors I was using only one of my two parity drives. my parity drive two sata cable broke so for a few days i ran it with only one drive and put in the new cable a few days later. but all my drives are gray instead of green right after that. should I or can I force a rebuild of my second parity drive to fix this issue 

Screenshot 2022-06-08 140403.png

8 hours ago, James_Darkness said:

my parity drive two sata cable broke so for a few days i ran it with only one drive and put in the new cable a few days later

Your description of what you did with parity2 is lacking enough details to know what happened.

If you ran without parity2 and without doing New Config to remove parity2 from the array, then parity2 would have become disabled when it couldn't be written. If you did remove parity2 with New Config, then it wouldn't have become disabled since nothing was assigned as parity2. Either way, if you reassigned parity2, it would have been rebuilt when you started the array.

If you aren't still getting sync errors then parity2 must have been rebuilt when you reassigned it, or corrected when you did a correcting parity check.

5 hours ago, trurl said:

Your description of what you did with parity2 is lacking enough details to know what happened.

If you ran without parity2 and without doing New Config to remove parity2 from the array, then parity2 would have become disabled when it couldn't be written. If you did remove parity2 with New Config, then it wouldn't have become disabled since nothing was assigned as parity2. Either way, if you reassigned parity2, it would have been rebuilt when you started the array.

If you aren't still getting sync errors then parity2 must have been rebuilt when you reassigned it, or corrected when you did a correcting parity check.

at the same time my flash drive broke so when i got a new sata cable i also restored my unraid with the backup that had both parity drives 

at the same time my flash drive broke so when i got a new sata cable i also restored my unraid with the backup that had both parity drives 

So you reset your configuration to what it was on that backup then Unraid doesn't remember anything that happened after that backup was taken.

In the parity history screenshot in the first post, when did this flash drive reset occur?

4 hours ago, trurl said:

So you reset your configuration to what it was on that backup then Unraid doesn't remember anything that happened after that backup was taken.

In the parity history screenshot in the first post, when did this flash drive reset occur?

This is the 3rd USB actrul but the time line is. on my second USB I run it with one parity drive instead of two. 3 days later when that flash drive also brakes I run it with the same old backup of the flash drive that I used to make the second flash drive 3 days ago. to make my new 3rd USB that I'm using now. I also plug in the second parity Drive in

Edited by James_Darkness