loss of external network access

Hi All.

The problem is I lose connectivity to anything of my immediate L2 domain. I can ping the default gateway and manage the device, all is fine. Docker on/off causes loss of external network traffic.

Dell R430 UNRAID server which has a tg3 NIC running 

Intel VT off/on no change.

Docker only on IPVLAN to stop crashes from macvlan.

Only Docker.

The server boots and works as expected, can ping 1.1.1.1 as an example.

Start RAID. still ok

Start Docker. still ok.

1-5mins later, no external traffic.

Stop Docker. Everything returns.

MACvlan in the past has caused server locks

IPvlan has resolved the lockups.

Tested: VT on and off

Test 6.10.1 and 6.10.2 no changes

Any thoughts?

Edited by hoff

upload the diags here?

So on 6.10.2 (VT-D Off in the Bios) the same thing happens but if I disable Docker(iplan) the system will behave correctly.

Once Docker(iplan) is running and containers are booted, 1-2mins I loose all traffic external to my L2 domain/subnet.

if I stop all containers remains "offline" outside my local layer2 network until I turn off Docker and then services return.

I just tested the same with Docker(macvlan) and I am online and services appear to be working no issues.

Switched back to Docker(ipvlan) and the problem has no not re-occured. *puzzled looks*

Hi All.

Looking at below, I am no expert in the shim-br0 but that seems to be the issue. I am thinking its might be a stale arp/mac issue as it takes a while to time out and then dies... 

If you are running a ping when the IPLAN + host access stops, there is no longer any transmit or recieve for anything offnet with a "tcpdump -nn -vv host 1.1.1.1" you cant see the tx or an rx on that packet, the box basically forgets how to get off its local subnet.

Docker + IPLAN with Host Access

-----------------------------------------------------------

root@Tower:~# arp -an | grep "80.1)"

? (10.80.80.1) at 7c:5a:1c:a2:7a:03 [ether] on shim-br0

? (10.80.80.1) at <incomplete> on br0

16: br0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UP group default qlen 1000

link/ether 14:18:77:4e:bf:d3 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

inet 10.80.80.100/24 scope global br0

59: shim-br0@br0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000

link/ether 14:18:77:4e:bf:d3 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

inet 10.80.80.100/32 scope global shim-br0

root@Tower:~# ip route

default via 10.80.80.1 dev br0

10.80.80.0/25 dev shim-br0 scope link

10.80.80.0/24 dev br0 proto kernel scope link src 10.80.80.100

10.80.80.128/25 dev shim-br0 scope link

172.17.0.0/16 dev docker0 proto kernel scope link src 172.17.0.1

Docker on without Host Access

-----------------------------------------------------

root@Tower:~# ip route

default via 10.80.80.1 dev br0

10.80.80.0/24 dev br0 proto kernel scope link src 10.80.80.100

172.17.0.0/16 dev docker0 proto kernel scope link src 172.17.0.1

Docker Off

-------------------

root@Tower:~# arp -an | grep "80.1)"

? (10.80.80.1) at 7c:5a:1c:a2:7a:03 [ether] on br0

No shim-br0

why do i have host access? I run a couple of mysql and other databases on lan_ip's on bridge and a number of services on host ports which need to talk to those other lan_ip's. A number of the out of the box apps in the repo dont like the br ip configuration which I would prefer for everything and ive been too lazy to fix all the apps that have issues not being on 'host'

It might actually be time for unraid not to be my containers node at this point

I will read it again but that resolution includes moving all my containers that are not on the host network to another subnet and not my primary which is how ive operated for a long time, so changing the networking config of all my containers is going to be challenging with all my cross container application level integrations.

As this worked pre 6.10.* there has to be a way? bug?

after reading the link above again, this is a workaround to fix a problem that is now occurring that didn't before. It was more than possible (I was running it) to operate IPLAN + Host Access with docker containers having IP's on br0 as the same subnet as my host and primary network.

adding another docker network/vlan and reconfiguring everything is really not an option at this time.

whats broken from previous versions?

When you enable "Host access to custom network" a routing trick with more specific routes for the same IP subnet (br0) is introduced to fool Docker and make access possible, something which Docker does not allow for security reasons.

The first question to ask: do I really need host access? In general this is NOT required, but there are some specific cases which need it.

Have you tried and tested to run your containers without host access enabled?

Because br0 and shim-br0 is actually one and the same machine (your Unraid box) but announced twice, it can be that certain network equipment, e.g. certain firewalls, do not like this situation and prohibit communication. In such a case you'll need to look into that device configuration and see if exception rules can be set.

• 11 months later...

I ran into this same issue. As @hoffsays it looks to be an arp issue for me also. The arp table for br0 will occasionally go <incomplete> for my gateway.  To workaround it I configured arp manually for my gateway with "arp -s <gateway> <gateway mac> -i br0".  I'll follow up if I see an issue