RAW Disk - Repartion When Adding Extra Space Inc Moving Partition

Go to solution Solved by JonathanM,

Hi all,

I have a 100GB Windows 11 VM which has the default partitions so when I add extra space through the VM control pannel ie 150GB the extra space appears after the system restore partition meaning the useable partition can not be extended.

Is it possible to add the extra space then move the system restore partition to the end of the virtual disk allowing for the c drive to be extended like you can with a physical machine ?

Thanks

Terran

• Solution

Sure, I recommend setting up a utility VM to work with other VM disks. Once you have the utility VM running, you temporarily add the target vdisk as a secondary disk to the utility VM, boot it up and run gparted or partition magic or whatever your favorite partition manager program is, do your manipulation, shut down the utility VM and remove the secondary disk. The utility VM can be very small, just a minimal Ubuntu or whatever you are comfortable with.

Exactly the same type of thing you would do with a physical machine, only it's easier because you don't have to fool with finding a spare USB drive and setting up a bootable partition manager.