Can I get rid of my Synology now?

Thomss

Hi all,

I've been using a DS210J for a while for storing my movies, Nzb, and torrents and it's done a great job.

I also use it for time machine too on my ladies mac.

I have unraid plus set up and working great for streaming files, but currently not using any addons.

I currently have 4x WD Green 2TB in the unraid box, and a few spare Samsung 1TB drives which I was thinking about using as a Cache drive / download drive to keep everything separate.

I currently have both devices running 24/7 and would like to get it down to one device on.

is it worth me keeping the Synology or can I get all these functions working on unraid?

Thanks, Thomas.

Hi all,

I've been using a DS210J for a while for storing my movies, Nzb, and torrents and it's done a great job.

All do-able just look in the customizations forum

I also use it for time machine too on my ladies mac.

also do-able, though running 5.0b6a is recommended as it has AFP (and therefor time machine) support built in.  You will want to do some searching and looking through the AFP forum down towards the bottom of the page.

Personally I would move one function over at a time and make sure you feel confortable with it on the unRAID machine. After a few days and you feel your Synology is doing double duty just shut it off.

Thats exactly what I did when I had my Dlink Nas's online. Slowly but surely they started looking redundant so I turned them off.

Archived