persistent modification of fstab

Go to solution Solved by u20p17,

Hi all,

I've got my permissions problem which should get fixed by adding the 'exec' option to the /etc/fstab entry for the drive that has the docker mount point on. Therefore I opened the terminal on unraid, then cd /etc and after that nano fstab... Here I added the exec option to my hard drive and saved it.

GNU nano 5.3 fstab 
/dev/disk/by-label/UNRAID /boot vfat auto,rw,flush,noatime,nodiratime,dmask=77,fmask=177,shortname=mixed,exec 0 1 
/boot/bzmodules /lib/modules squashfs ro,defaults 0 2 
/boot/bzfirmware /lib/firmware squashfs ro,defaults 0 2 
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0 
hugetlbfs /hugetlbfs hugetlbfs defaults 0 0

It seems that the fstab gets reset each reboot. How can I make it persistent? (Sorry for this maybe dump question, but I am very new to unraid... ;) )

Thanks!

Hi, thanks for the very fast answer! 

I am using the ESPHome Docker container and I updated it from a x.2021 to the latest version. After the update when I try to install the new firmware for the esp via ESPHome I get the following log:

INFO Reading configuration /config/kuehlung-lowboard.yaml...
INFO Generating C++ source...
INFO Compiling app...
Processing kuehlung-lowboard (board: esp32dev; framework: arduino; platform: platformio/espressif32 @ 3.5.0)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HARDWARE: ESP32 240MHz, 320KB RAM, 4MB Flash
LDF: Library Dependency Finder -> https://bit.ly/configure-pio-ldf
Dependency Graph
|-- <WiFi> 1.0
|-- <ESPmDNS> 1.0
|-- <Update> 1.0
Compiling .pioenvs/kuehlung-lowboard/src/esphome/components/api/api_connection.cpp.o
sh: 1: xtensa-esp32-elf-g++: Permission denied
Compiling .pioenvs/kuehlung-lowboard/src/esphome/components/api/api_frame_helper.cpp.o
Compiling .pioenvs/kuehlung-lowboard/src/esphome/components/api/api_pb2.cpp.o
Compiling .pioenvs/kuehlung-lowboard/src/esphome/components/api/api_pb2_service.cpp.o
Compiling .pioenvs/kuehlung-lowboard/src/esphome/components/api/api_server.cpp.o
Compiling .pioenvs/kuehlung-lowboard/src/esphome/components/api/list_entities.cpp.o
Compiling .pioenvs/kuehlung-lowboard/src/esphome/components/api/proto.cpp.o
*** [.pioenvs/kuehlung-lowboard/src/esphome/components/api/api_connection.cpp.o] Error 126
*** [.pioenvs/kuehlung-lowboard/src/esphome/components/api/api_frame_helper.cpp.o] Error 126
*** [.pioenvs/kuehlung-lowboard/src/esphome/components/api/api_pb2.cpp.o] Error 126
*** [.pioenvs/kuehlung-lowboard/src/esphome/components/api/api_pb2_service.cpp.o] Error 126
*** [.pioenvs/kuehlung-lowboard/src/esphome/components/api/api_server.cpp.o] Error 126
*** [.pioenvs/kuehlung-lowboard/src/esphome/components/api/list_entities.cpp.o] Error 126
*** [.pioenvs/kuehlung-lowboard/src/esphome/components/api/proto.cpp.o] Error 126
Compiling .pioenvs/kuehlung-lowboard/src/esphome/components/api/subscribe_state.cpp.o
*** [.pioenvs/kuehlung-lowboard/src/esphome/components/api/subscribe_state.cpp.o] Error 126
========================== [FAILED] Took 1.33 seconds ==========================

I found some people with the same issue:

https://github.com/esphome/issues/issues/2817

There they suggested to add the exec to the fstab... 

I don’t know anything about that container, but it sounds like they are talking about the /etc/fstab file that is internal to the container?

I would suggest that you post your query in the Support thread for that particular container (click the icon for it on the Docker tab snd select support).   You are more likely to get a knowledgeable answer there.

I found a solution!

Starting with 2021.10 the toolchain is stored in the /cache/platformio directory in the docker container (or /config/.esphome/platformio if /cache is not mapped in). If the filesystem where that's mapped doesn't support execute permissions on files you'd get that error. My /config is an NFS directory that is bind mounted into the container. I didn't know that I could also mount something for /cache, so I added a standard volume mount for the /cache directory and the builds are now working again. Thanks!

found the solution here: https://github.com/esphome/issues/issues/2594

• 3 months later...

Hi it's me again - my workaround was working for some months but now it stopped working again. I think I was talking about a wrong thing at the start of this topic. I have to add the exec option not to the /boot, but to the /mnt/user/appdata/ESPHome. What I would have to add to the  /etc/fstab  in order to make it work? Sorry I am not deep into this topic...

Up to now I think I mounting the remote share without the exec option, and as the result the local OS does not allow me to execute files which is needed for the ESPHome docker container.

Thank you in advance!

• Solution

I think I fixed the issue now. It's a bit strange, but what I did is the following:
1.) ls -ld /mnt/user/appdata/ESPHome
Output: drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users 90 Mar 3 2022 /mnt/user/appdata/ESPHome/
So it seemed that the every user/group should have read/write/execute rights on this folder. Nevertheless I did the following:

2.) chmod -R 777 /mnt/user/appdata/ESPHome
I recursive changed the rights for all users/groups to read/wrtie/execute and now it is working again... Strange - but maybe it helps other people...

• 1 month later...

Thanks 

On 10/11/2022 at 9:45 AM, u20p17 said:

I think I fixed the issue now. It's a bit strange, but what I did is the following:
1.) ls -ld /mnt/user/appdata/ESPHome
Output: drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users 90 Mar 3 2022 /mnt/user/appdata/ESPHome/
So it seemed that the every user/group should have read/write/execute rights on this folder. Nevertheless I did the following:

2.) chmod -R 777 /mnt/user/appdata/ESPHome
I recursive changed the rights for all users/groups to read/wrtie/execute and now it is working again... Strange - but maybe it helps other people...

Thanks got the same problem found your solution :D