Upgraded CPU, mobo, RAM and Unraid (v. 6.9.2) is now crashing

Go to solution Solved by Hoopster,

I have been using Unraid since December 2021 on an old 1st gen Intel core i7 (4c/8t) in an old Dell Precision T1500 with 12GB of DDR3 RAM. I have never experienced a crash while using this hardware for Unraid.

I recently upgraded to an AMD Ryzen 7 1700X in a B450 MSI Gaming Plus Max with 16GB of DDR4 (G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB, 2 x 8GB DDR4 3200) and have had 2 crashes in under 24 hours. I am not doing any over clocking and do not have the XMP profile set. I've read to never do that with Unraid.

After the first crash I enabled syslogging, but after the second crash there was nothing of relevance in the logs as the last entry was several hours before the crash happened. Both crashes happened after an extended period of idling.

I've been reading other posts here and it sounds like the general consensus in previous posts for 1st gen Ryzen processors (and sometimes 2nd & 3rd gen) is to disable C-states globally in BIOS. Is this still the solution for this problem?

My only concern with disabling C-states globally is that my processor would consume significantly more power, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

Should I disable C-states globally to resolve this issue? If I do, will it cause my processor to consume way more power?

Thank you for any help.

• Solution
12 minutes ago, impact-trombone said:

I've been reading other posts here and it sounds like the general consensus in previous posts for 1st gen Ryzen processors (and sometimes 2nd & 3rd gen) is to disable C-states globally in BIOS. Is this still the solution for this problem?

See this post for several things that can done to improve unRAID stability with a Ryzen (especially 1st gen.) CPU.