Best option to backup unRaid to macOS server

Aquenon

Hi, I know this is an odd question.  But I need to back these files up, and the only thing I have to send them to is an old 2008 Mac Pro who's only reason for running these days is as a Time Machine server (and possibly a Tdarr node again, but I digress).  I tried rsync but wouldn't work and I think I found out why when I tried LuckyBackup.  macOS comes with an ancient version of rsync, and I can't get rid of it.  I installed the latest version with Homebrew and while it works on the Mac, when rsync with or without LuckyBackup tries to connect, it still connects to that old version.

Duplicati is out, as no matter what I try to do, it's incredibly slow, and has been like that for every system I've tried it on, not just this scenario.

Looking for options that would work in my scenario.  I've though about creating a macOS VM on unRaid (if that's even possible) and then have it backup via Time Machine, or make a Linux VM on the Mac Pro for LuckyBackup to connect to. But I hate VMs, all those resources locked to it whether it needs them at that moment or not.  So if I have to, I will... but I would rather find a solution that doesn't involve VMs if I can.

I'm mainly looking for open-source solutions before I go searching for paid solutions, but will welcome suggestions from both categories for me scenario.

PS:  I did try to turn the Mac Pro into another unRaid server, but it would not boot from the unRaid drive.  Honestly, that is my preferred method here, but I just can't get unRaid to boot on it.

Thanks in advance!