HITACHI Deskstar 5K3000 2TB 32MB 6.0 Gb/s @ NewEgg for $59.99 AR & ACC

My bad for leaving off the capacity of this....  I have been in the unRAID forums so long that I just call them 5K3000's.  I thought that all 5K3000’s were 2 TB’s?  I do think that the 2TB needs to be in the title of my post.  That has been added, thank you gorbachev.  However, I can see that the extra work it would take to click the provided link could be too much to bear.  Which, if that is the case forget this deal because you have to setup a new email account to get the $10 off of $50 for being a new customer with newegg.  ;D

My bad for leaving off the capacity of this....   I have been in the unRAID forums so long that I just call them 5K3000's.  I thought that all 5K3000’s were 2 TB’s?  I do think that the 2TB needs to be in the title of my post.  That has been added, thank you gorbachev.  However, I can see that the extra work it would take to click the provided link could be too much to bear.  Which, if that is the case forget this deal because you have to setup a new email account to get the $10 off of $50 for being a new customer with newegg.  ;D

Dont take it personal, great deal, thanks for posting. I personal just clicked the link as to make sure its was what I though 2TB ;) no worries.

Thanks +1.

I just bought my first Hitachi 5K3000 through this offer. Will be in Chicago this summer,  Nothing like vacation shopping to buy from Newegg again.  ;D

Edit: My first 5K3000 that I hope will reach me, but second one I buy.

I think the volume of new accounts due to unRAID users pushed them to run the new coupon code!  Really though, I am sorry to everyone that setup an account a day or two before the new one.  I do have to say it will be nice to have 2 established accounts to use future email exclusive coupons on.  Just in case there is such a good deal you need to buy more than 1 of it.  ::)

*Side note the rebate is good for 2 drives.

http://images10.newegg.com/uploadfilesfornewegg/rebate/SH/Hitachi22-145-475May16Jun1311SL75.pdf

Got my first of 4 yesturday. Drive was labelled Feb 2011? last batch I got were newer.

Seems like the factory dropped a skid of these and shipped them to distributors anyway, guessing from the DOA posts on newegg.

The static bag did not have a scratch on it. The package was double boxed but poor. Last batch came in suspension plastic and in between brown paper. This time the HD box was sitting on paper and barely any bubble wrap around the drive. Clearly the damage was not from shipping thought.

JeZZ9.jpg

I love the drives, I am trying to obtain a total of 20+ of these, but there is an issue will the quality of some batches going out (hopefully just one batch). Hopefully they get weeded out and the process that created this is corrected... All the online retailers need to package bulk/OEM HDs properly as well.

Second one came in today, also labeled Feb 2011, ready DOA same crappy packaging. No sign of physical damage on this one.

What the hell is going on... I got the RMA/Shipping label from newegg for the first one and was going to ship it out tomorrow, but now I will wait until I get the same of this second drive, before I go to the UPS store, save me one trip.

I have 2 more coming... arghhhhhhhh, normally I would be happy, now I am just paranoid.

They will be receiving some pretty words tomorrow.

Newegg's been like this for a long time....Or rather, having so many different warehouses now, it's been difficult for them to maintain a consistent quality control for their shipping departments.

Granted, I suppose if one has a problem with a DOA drive, or one that got damaged before it even got to them, usually they do a good job of sorting it out.

However, it appears that we can't even blame UPS (They-who-play-soccer-with-packages) for this one, though.

Thankfully, having a Fry's (relatively) close to me, I could always go and get a retail 5K3000 when they run the $69.99 specials....Gas and Tax run about the same as shipping at retailers outside of Newegg at least, so it ends up being a wash anyway.

Just opened my newegg box.  It was the normal newegg box filled with the shipping peanuts.  Inside that was a second box that opened like a pizza box with plastic bumpers on each side.  My hard drive is a MAR-2011.  There was no visible damage to the hard drive and it formatted fine in Win7.  Now off to preclear.  This hard drive originated from BALDWIN PARK, CA, US it might be interesting to track what comes from where being that we all buy a hard drive a month at least.  We might be able to track what, where and when it is best to buy.  

My drive will get here tomorrow.  I am thinking that I will run it through a few preclear cycles.  There isn’t any issue with throwing unraid on a thumb drive and running preclear on a separate system is there?  Is any of the SMART data logged or anything?

My drive will get here tomorrow.  I am thinking that I will run it through a few preclear cycles.  There isn’t any issue with throwing unraid on a thumb drive and running preclear on a separate system is there?  Is any of the SMART data logged or anything?

No issue there. It is logged and can email you as well, check the preclear_disk post.

Both of mine came from Newark, NJ. I noticed when using shoprunner 2 Day, if it is avaiable in the Newark, NJ location it ships from there, I get packages in 1-2 days including the purcahse day, so thats nice.

The Mar 2011 in the black suspension plastic was what I received last batch and were all fine. But no I received crap packaging with Feb 2011 drives... My very first batch were Feb 2011 and were all fine. Not sure what is going on.

Time to call newegg and let them have it.

FYI guys, if you receive a DOA drive, and still want to participate in the MIR, you MUST SEND THE DIVE TO HITACHI, NOT NEWEGG

I spoke with Newegg yesterday since I received my RMA drive a few days ago.  I wanted to see which MIR I should participate in--the one that was when I originally bought my drive, or the one that was during the date range of the RMA drive they sent out.  I was informed that RMA drives are not eligible for MIR, as the invoice will have a value of $0, and Hitachi would not accept the MIR application.

Fortunately, Newegg offered to send me a $10 Gift Card (I'd prefer the Visa card from Hitachi, but, $10 is $10)

Just a heads up to you guys who received DOAs during MIR offers--deal with Hitachi.

FYI: My drive passed 1 pre-clear cycle (that's all I've been doing).  I can check the date on it later this evening, but I don't remember what the date was on the DOA I received earlier this month.

I just received a Feb 2011 drive.  It was not packed as well as the March 2011 drive I got last time.  The March drive had the black plastic bumpers.  The February drive had its smaller box well-packed within the large box with brown packing paper.  Inside the smaller box was a roll of the giant bubble wrap, but no plastic bumpers.  No bubbles were popped, so I think I'll still be OK.  I'm certainly not skimping on my usual 3 preclears, though.