[Unraid V6.9.2] SAS drives smart monitoring

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hello!

I've just received some SAS drives which I wanted to use in my Unraid server.
However, I noticed after installing one that the drives capabilities could not be read and the SMART data is not displayed.

After some digging I encountered some posts pointing out that SMART data for SAS drives are not supported through the GUI.

I was wondering if I Unraid will still test these drives and show an warning if one goes bad?

7 hours ago, jeffrey.el said:

I was wondering if I Unraid will still test these drives and show an warning if one goes bad?

Unraid doesn't run SMART tests automatically, even for SATA drives, but note that a parity check is basically the same as an extended SMART test, so if any issues are detected there you can look at the SMART reports, for SAS devices look manly at the "Elements in grown defect list" and "Total Uncorrected Errors".

4 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Unraid doesn't run SMART tests automatically, even for SATA drives, but note that a parity check is basically the same as an extended SMART test, so if any issues are detected there you can look at the SMART reports, for SAS devices look manly at the "Elements in grown defect list" and "Total Uncorrected Errors".

Thank you for the information!

What I was more curious at where the notifications I receive and the warnings in the interface like this for example:
image.png.0b6989b7939f04a56508484c516ff1f3.png

And the notification in the top right corner letting me know something is wrong with the disk, even though I can't see it in the disk page.

Will those notifications/visual errors be shown for SAS disks as well?

1 hour ago, JorgeB said:

I don't have SAS devices but pretty sure there won't be a SMART status thumbs up/down, I do know that GUI SMART tests don't work for SAS devices, but you can still run them manually.

Alright so there is no real way to get this automatically like with normal SATA drives for now as far as I understand..

Is this something that might be coming in the future or has this not been planned at all?

• 2 weeks later...