Unsure how to proceed with multiple failed/failing drive replacements

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

So I'm in a bit of a bind concerning my array. I have a dual parity drive system (2x 6TB) and had both a parity drive and a data drive fail. I ordered 3x 16TB drives with the intention of replacing the failed drives, as well as 16TB upgrade for the 'working' parity drive so I can upgrade the max drive size in the array.

I was going to begin by doing a doing the parity copy/swap procedure outlined in SpaceInvaderOne's Video 'How to Replace a Failed Data Drive with one LARGER than the Parity' https://youtu.be/MMlR0TMeKsI?t=238 @3:58

However when I began the copy it would fail almost immediately and stop the array. Read errors with the remaining 6TB parity drive...

This is where I might have messed up. Thinking I was going to lose the data on the failed data drive. I just added the 16TB drive as a 2nd parity drive and hoped it would build the parity for it successfully. The parity build completed but with 800+ errors.

Now my first question is was the new 2nd parity drive able to build its parity correctly even though there is a missing data drive in the array? 

If the new parity on the new drive was built correctly, can I now replace the remaining 6TB parity drive, the one throwing up errors, with the a new 16TB drive and still keep the data on the the failed/missing data drive intact? And if so should I do a manual error correcting parity check before I replace the remaining 6TB parity disks w/ the errors?

Thank you in advance for the help. I attached the SMART report the 6TB parity drive throwing up errors and a diagnostic log. Can post relevant logs/info if need be, just let me know what I need to provide.

zeus-diagnostics-20220613-1205.zip zeus-smart-20220613-1204.zip

Edited by c010rb1indusa

So much going on in syslog with disk assignments I'm not sure I fully understand how you got to this point. Looks like the original parity disk is assigned as disk2 now, it thinks parity2 is OK, and parity is new.

Probably parity swap wasn't even necessary since you had dual parity and trying to copy failing parity was the beginning of the confusion.

The main question is can the array still emulate disk2 correctly.

I wonder if it will let you start the array with nothing assigned as disk2.

Wait and see if anybody else has any ideas.

23 minutes ago, trurl said:

So much going on in syslog with disk assignments I'm not sure I fully understand how you got to this point. Looks like the original parity disk is assigned as disk2 now, it thinks parity2 is OK, and parity is new.

Probably parity swap wasn't even necessary since you had dual parity and trying to copy failing parity was the beginning of the confusion.

The main question is can the array still emulate disk2 correctly.

I wonder if it will let you start the array with nothing assigned as disk2.

Wait and see if anybody else has any ideas.

Yeah it's a mess, no excuses. Thank you for bearing with my stupidity.

Yes disk2 still seems to be emulating correctly as far as I can tell. If there's any confusion attached a screenshot of how the array is setup RN.

If disk 2 is emulated correctly. Should be okay to proceed replace the failing 6TB drive? I realize nothing is guaranteed with this mess.

781199548_ScreenShot2022-06-13at12_58_27PM.thumb.png.95a7996affa005525dcf5f96b73ec77a.png

• Solution

If there's no old parity2 and assuming old disk2 is also dead your best bet it to try and copy everything you can from the emulate disk2, this way you'll now what data fails to copy, you could also clone old parity with ddrescue then rebuild, but that way no way of knowing the affected files on the rebuilt disk, unless you have pre-existing checksums for all files.

13 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

If there's no old parity2 and assuming old disk2 is also dead your best bet it to try and copy everything you can from the emulate disk2, this way you'll now what data fails to copy, you could also clone old parity with ddrescue then rebuild, but that way no way of knowing the affected files on the rebuilt disk, unless you have pre-existing checksums for all files.

Oh duh why didn't I think of that :). Will give that a go and report back.

Was able to copy the data off the emulated disk. I proceeded with replacing the failing parity drive, with the new 16TB drive and let it rebuild. Then I did the same for the missing data drive. Everything seems to be hunky dory. Thanks everyone for the help with my mess. The Unraid community is great.

• Like 1