GTX650ti code 43 with Windows 10

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

I'm very sorry. I've been asking for help in this post. It seems that I posted on other sub forums, and no one will answer my question. Recently, I encountered a problem, that is, the virtual machine passes through the independent graphics card. I can install "Ubuntu" to pass through the independent graphics card perfectly and output pictures on the display. When I install "windows10", the graphics card can output pictures to the display, but the resolution is very low, I installed the graphics card driver on the graphics card gtx650ti, and the device manager reported an error "-43". I checked the "form view" of the virtual machines "Ubuntu" and "windows" and found that the pass through parameters of the two virtual machines were different. I have taken a screenshot and marked the differences. I tried to apply the parameters of "Ubuntu" to "windows". A warning message appeared. I have taken a screenshot of the warning pop-up window. The configuration of my "unraid" has not been changed. Before I upgraded version 6.10, the "gtx650ti" in version 6.92 can be perfectly directly used by windows. After upgrading to version 6.10, the graphics card will report an error "43" after installing the driver. Please help me, thank you. This problem is similar to that of many users in the "Chinese version"!

20220615180240.thumb.png.aaf3a20cb331bf2e7c45284847b31800.png20220615180330.thumb.png.1fc26274f091305dbe493af564673e1f.png

Edited by song

Hi,

43 minutes ago, song said:

installed the graphics card driver on the graphics card gtx650ti, and the device manager reported an error "-43".

First make sure you are installing the latest drivers and not older ones.

Main difference between the linux and windows vms is that the linux one is a q35 type, the windows one is i440fx.

i440fx has only bus 0, q35 has bus 0 and also pcie-root-ports to create bus 1, 2, 3 etc.

This is why you have that error, you cannot use a bus number greater than 0 in a i440fx machine.

In both vms the gpu is not set as multifunction, but if it works...however the preferred way is to set it as a multifunction device in the vm.

Better to attach diagnostics because your pictures say nothing.

5 minutes ago, ghost82 said:

Hi,

Main difference between the linux and windows vms is that the linux one is a q35 type, the windows one is i440fx.

i440fx has only bus 0, q35 has bus 0 and also pcie-root-ports to create bus 1, 2, 3 etc.

This is why you have that error, you cannot use a bus number greater than 0 in a i440fx machine.

In both vms the gpu is not set as multifunction, but if it works...however the preferred way is to set it as a multifunction device in the vm.

Thank you for your answer. I have tried to change the model to Q35, but they are the same, and the graphics card will report error 43. I have tried both models, MAC OS and Ubuntu, and they can drive the output screen normally. This error occurred after the 6.10 upgrade. What do you mean by diagnostic information?

1 hour ago, ghost82 said:

Hi,

Is there a solution? Rolling back Mac OS, Ubuntu and windows of version 6.92 can be used normally. Is it difficult to roll back to version 6.92? For this matter, I tossed until 4 a.m. last night. Why didn't 6.92 make such a mistake?

Edited by song

Nvidia doesen´t like useres to take their consumer cards and use them in VM´s. As i was beginning to use my Nvidia card in an vm i ran also in the 43 code. The solution for me was to use a custom firmware rom for the card. Linux worked perfectly but in Windows i had allways this issue. I don´t know if you are allready using an custom rom. 

If this is your issue, here some links:
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/ For the rom file, or you grab your rom with gpu-z from your gpu
https://github.com/Matoking/NVIDIA-vBIOS-VFIO-Patcher the software that disables the check for error 43 in the romfile

I hope it helps.
~Bekannt

Edited by Mr.Bekannt
3 hours ago, Mr.Bekannt said:

Nvidia doesen´t like useres to take their consumer cards and use them in VM´s. As i was beginning to use my Nvidia card in an vm i ran also in the 43 code. The solution for me was to use a custom firmware rom for the card. Linux worked perfectly but in Windows i had allways this issue. I don´t know if you are allready using an custom rom. 

If this is your issue, here some links:
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/ For the rom file, or you grab your rom with gpu-z from your gpu
https://github.com/Matoking/NVIDIA-vBIOS-VFIO-Patcher the software that disables the check for error 43 in the romfile

I hope it helps.
~Bekannt

Thank you. My NVIDIA graphics card gtx650ti can run normally in unraid version 6.92. Windows can use the independent display output screen. The problem occurred only after upgrading to version 6.10. Therefore, it should have nothing to do with the BIOS of the graphics card. In addition, I can now use version 6.10 to give "Mac OS" and Ubuntu can use the unique display output screen. Only windows has the problem of 43. I see that many people in the forum can use the graphics card in version 6.92, and the problem only occurs after upgrading to 6.10. Therefore, this should be caused by the unraid system

Edited by song

Could you tell me if the question I raised yesterday about installing the driver prompt 43 for windows graphics card has been shelved? Why is there no solution? When I go back to version 6.92, I can normally use the independent display output screen. This will happen once I upgrade to version 6.10! Do I want to stay in version 6.92 forever? I bought the genuine version for the convenience of upgrading the system. Why should so many problems be released in the new version! Why don't you do a good job of testing and release the genuine system? I have never used the beta version! Because I need it to work steadily! Why are there so many problems with the stable version? Version 6.92 can be used normally, but it cannot be used after upgrading to the official version 6.10?

Edited by song

You're posting the same issue in multiple places.  Please post your issue in one place only.  It makes it hard to get to the bottom of the problem if it is posted in multiple places.  Stay with the post and respond to requests for more information until resolved.

I understand that your issue is solved in Unraid 6.9, but shows up in 6.10.  The major change from 6.9 to 6.10 is the Linux Kernel.  This is probably where the problem lies.  I'm not sure if it is an Unraid problem.

I can appreciate your frustration with this issue., biut you also need to understand that Unraid can be installed on just about any hardware and it is an impossible task to test all combinations of hardware.  This issue did not come up with any public or internal beta and RC testing.

My suggestion for the moment is to stay on 6.9 until this can be researched and a resoluton found.  We will do what we can to find the source of the 43 error.  It may take a little time because we will probbly have to reproduce the error before we can track down the source of the problem and provide a fix.

I'm going to report this issue to the LT team so other developers are made aware of the issue.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, JorgeB said:

I believe it's not very likely that the change @dlandonmentions will help, but it's easy to try, before doing it just let us know if you ran any previous v6.10 release or did you update from v6.9.2 directly to v6.10.3?

I have never used the "VBIOS" of the graphics card in version 6.92. It can run perfectly. Once I use the VBIOS of the graphics card, it will lead to the paralysis of the entire server, requiring forced shutdown and restart. The windows system graphics card I installed in version 6.92 runs normally. If the windows virtual machine is not deleted and upgraded directly from version 6.92 to version 6.10, it will run normally in version 6.10. If I create a new windows virtual machine in version 6.10 and use my graphics card to install the graphics card driver, it will have 43 errors! In version 6.10, my "Mac OS and Ubuntu" can normally use my unique display. I do not provide VBIOS with a graphics card for "Mac OS and Ubuntu". They can run normally. In version 6.92, I also do not provide VBIOS with a graphics card for windows

20220617011317.thumb.png.715ba77a1469e354f258bb8548850c0f.png20220617011347.thumb.png.2520b510d6851b6bd5d6f2a058fa4011.png

8 minutes ago, song said:

If the windows virtual machine is not deleted and upgraded directly from version 6.92 to version 6.10, it will run normally in version 6.10. If I create a new windows virtual machine in version 6.10 and use my graphics card to install the graphics card driver, it will have 43 errors! In version 6.10

Compare the generated XML VM profiles between what works and what doesn't.

2 hours ago, dlandon said:

You're posting the same issue in multiple places.  Please post your issue in one place only.  It makes it hard to get to the bottom of the problem if it is posted in multiple places.  Stay with the post and respond to requests for more information until resolved.

I understand that your issue is solved in Unraid 6.9, but shows up in 6.10.  The major change from 6.9 to 6.10 is the Linux Kernel.  This is probably where the problem lies.  I'm not sure if it is an Unraid problem.

I can appreciate your frustration with this issue., biut you also need to understand that Unraid can be installed on just about any hardware and it is an impossible task to test all combinations of hardware.  This issue did not come up with any public or internal beta and RC testing.

My suggestion for the moment is to stay on 6.9 until this can be researched and a resoluton found.  We will do what we can to find the source of the 43 error.  It may take a little time because we will probbly have to reproduce the error before we can track down the source of the problem and provide a fix.

I'm going to report this issue to the LT team so other developers are made aware of the issue.

2 hours ago, dlandon said:

I forgot to mention that there was a change in the iommu configuration in 6.10 that solved some issues with certain HP servers that might have affected the graphics card pass through for you.

Thank you. But in version 6.10, there is no problem with Mac OS and Ubuntu using my unique display. Only windows has the problem of installing driver error 43. I saw someone posted a post on the forum stating that the new version will cause the installation driver of the windows graphics card and the appearance of 43 code because the kernel of the upgraded VM is higher than 5.14!

20220617012430.thumb.png.52eb0098ac8ec110a9f2dbb521dd73cb.png

7 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

You didn't answer my question:

I upgraded from version 6.92 to version 6.10. Before upgrading, Mac OS, Ubuntu and windows were all configured in version 6.92. After upgrading to 6.10, they can run normally. Because my hard disk capacity is small, I allocated too much hard disk space to these virtual machines, so I need to reinstall them and reallocate the hard disk space. Both Mac OS and Ubuntu have been reinstalled, They can work normally and use my graphics card until this error occurs when installing windows. I have repeatedly installed it for many times and tried many methods. Only by rolling back to version 6.92 can windows install the graphics card driver normally

16 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

You didn't answer my question:

Upgrade version: 6.9.2>6.10.1>6.10.2>6.10.3. The allocation of hard disk space for reinstalling virtual machines started in version 6.10.3. Because these virtual machines have been installed in version 6.9.2. The virtual machine files configured in version 6.10.1 and 6.10.2 are used in version 6.92, so they can run normally. Now I have installed windows from version 6.92, installed the graphics card driver, and can run normally in version 6.10.3, However, in version 6.10, when a new windows virtual machine is created and a graphics card driver is installed, an error 43 will be reported. I wonder if you can understand my expression

4 minutes ago, song said:

However, in version 6.10, when a new windows virtual machine is created and a graphics card driver is installed, an error 43 will be reported.

This might be related to being and older GPU/driver, just this week I tested with GT1030/GTX1060/GTX1080/RTX2060S, all installed the driver correctly with v6.10.

4 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

OK, than it can't be the iommu mode change, that was only done in v6.10.3

I have seen similar problems in the Chinese sub forum. He said that such errors will occur when the VM kernel is upgraded to version 5.14 or higher. He can also roll back to version 6.92 and install the graphics card driver normally. I suggest you collect the recent 43 error messages from the graphics card. I have found at least five similar problems in the forum

20220617012430.thumb.png.b2783701a9be903af72dfbd4ee884710.png

2 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

This might be related to being and older GPU/driver, just this week I tested with GT1030/GTX1060/GTX1080/RTX2060S, all installed the driver correctly with v6.10.

My graphics card is gtx650ti. It seems that there are more old graphics cards with this problem

4 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Because the server needs to run 7x24 hours, the power consumption of the new graphics card will be particularly large. The power consumption of the old graphics card is relatively small, which is suitable for running on the server