GTX650ti code 43 with Windows 10

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

4 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

That's what I suspect, the problem is with older models, can you list the other models that are having the same issue?

At present, I know that there are three types of graphics card with problems: "GT 710, GT 740, GTX 650ti“

Edited by song
3 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

All older models, if the problem is the newer kernel like you mention not much LT can do, they cannot go back to an older one.

Can't you give us the option to choose the old version of the kernel when installing windows? I bought the genuine unraid. Can I only use it in version 6.9.2 forever? Or do I have to spend more money to buy new graphics cards to be compatible with your new VM kernel?

In my opinion the issue is with the nvidia drivers.

It's not clear what drivers you are trying to install, if that of windows or from nvidia; moreover you are continuing to say that it's the upgrade of unraid that broke the vm, but you are also saying that you are creating a new virtual machine (??).

The facts:

with unraid 6.10.x you have a working mac os vm and linux vm with gpu passthrough. Issue is only in windows: unraid virtualization is based on qemu and libvirt, if passthrough is working it means that the issue is not the host. The issue is windows, or the nvidiad drivers you are using (most probably the drivers).

If you are installing drivers from windows update, delete them and install the latest nvidia drivers (currently at version 473.47 (16/05/2022)), from nvidia website.

If you are installing latest drivers from nvidia website, try for older drivers, preferably newer than v.465.

You may also want to try to change the features block in the windows vm to hide the hypervisor:

<features>
    <acpi/>
    <apic/>
    <hyperv>
      <relaxed state='on'/>
      <vapic state='on'/>
      <spinlocks state='on' retries='8191'/>
      <vendor_id state='on' value='1234567890ab'/>
    </hyperv>
    <kvm>
      <hidden state='on'/>
    </kvm>
    <vmport state='off'/>
    <ioapic driver='kvm'/>
  </features>

Delete also from your syslinux this:

vfio-pci.ids=10de:11c6,10de:0e0b,8086:43d2,8086:1528,8086:4387,8086:f0c8,8086:43a3,8086:43a4

use unraid gui to attach devices to vfio at boot, not syslinux configuration.

Edited by ghost82
  • Upvote 1
5 hours ago, ghost82 said:

In my opinion the issue is with the nvidia drivers.

It's not clear what drivers you are trying to install, if that of windows or from nvidia; moreover you are continuing to say that it's the upgrade of unraid that broke the vm, but you are also saying that you are creating a new virtual machine (??).

The facts:

with unraid 6.10.x you have a working mac os vm and linux vm with gpu passthrough. Issue is only in windows: unraid virtualization is based on qemu and libvirt, if passthrough is working it means that the issue is not the host. The issue is windows, or the nvidiad drivers you are using (most probably the drivers).

If you are installing drivers from windows update, delete them and install the latest nvidia drivers (currently at version 473.47 (16/05/2022)), from nvidia website.

If you are installing latest drivers from nvidia website, try for older drivers, preferably newer than v.465.

You may also want to try to change the features block in the windows vm to hide the hypervisor:

<features>
    <acpi/>
    <apic/>
    <hyperv>
      <relaxed state='on'/>
      <vapic state='on'/>
      <vendor_id state='on' value='1234567890ab'/>
    </hyperv>
    <kvm>
      <hidden state='on'/>
    </kvm>
    <vmport state='off'/>
    <ioapic driver='kvm'/>
  </features>

Delete also from your syslinux this:

vfio-pci.ids=10de:11c6,10de:0e0b,8086:43d2,8086:1528,8086:4387,8086:f0c8,8086:43a3,8086:43a4

use unraid gui to attach devices to vfio at boot, not syslinux configuration.

It seems that you haven't read my previous speech. I have already explained that in the unraid version 6.10, you can create a Windows virtual machine and allow the graphics card to output pictures to the display. However, the resolution is very low because the driver of the graphics card reports error 43. I have tried the official driver of NVIDIA. Both the latest version and the old version have tried. The same problem cannot be solved, The "vfio PCI. Ids=10de:11c6,10de:0e0b, 8086:43d28086:15288086:43878086:f0c88086:43a38086:43a4" added in the USB boot will cause the pass through hardware to fail if I delete them!

Today, I rolled back to version 6.92 again. Everything was normal when I installed windows. The graphics card worked normally and the graphics card driver was installed normally. I tried to install the graphics card driver in version 6.92. I restored the system backup of unriad to 6.10.3 and tried to make windows work normally in this way. However, it is a pity that after the system was restored to 6.10.3, I entered the windows system, and the graphics card did not work normally, prompting an error message of 43, It can run normally in version 6.9.2. Therefore, this is caused by the system. I have the system backup of 6.9.2 and the system backup of 6.10.0, 6.10.2 and 6.10.3. If you need some files in my backup to compare different versions, I can provide them to you!

2 hours ago, song said:

I have already explained

You explained a lot of things, some contraddicting.

My NVIDIA graphics card gtx650ti can run normally in unraid version 6.92. The problem occurred only after upgrading to version 6.10.

If the windows virtual machine is not deleted and upgraded directly from version 6.92 to version 6.10, it will run normally in version 6.10.

??

If I create a new windows virtual machine in version 6.10 and use my graphics card to install the graphics card driver, it will have 43 errors!

Only windows has the problem of installing driver error 43.

I upgraded from version 6.92 to version 6.10. Before upgrading, Mac OS, Ubuntu and windows were all configured in version 6.92. After upgrading to 6.10, they can run normally.

??

I have repeatedly installed it for many times and tried many methods. Only by rolling back to version 6.92 can windows install the graphics card driver normally.

and....

2 hours ago, song said:

It seems that you haven't read my previous speech

I read the whole discussion and I spent some of my time, if I write something I write it because I think it can solve the issue or point to its resolution, but if you think I'm not reading or understanding, well, stay with your issue and get help from someone else, n.p., one thread less to follow :D

Edited by ghost82
5 minutes ago, ghost82 said:

You explained a lot of things, some contraddicting.

??

??

and....

I read the whole discussion and I spent some of my time, if I write something I write it because I think it can solve the issue or point to its resolution, but if you think I'm not reading or understanding, well, stay with your issue and get help from someone else, n.p., one thread less to follow :D

Thank you for your attention. I have tried and fed back the results of the solutions you mentioned. The way I expressed may confuse you because my English is not good. Thank you for your patience. I hope you can help more people without me. Goodbye

• Solution

@songI can replicate your issue with a GTX670, works fine with v6.9 and get code 43 after updating to v6.10, I found that this works for me, please try it, edit the XML and in the features section, below </hyperv> add this:

<kvm>
      <hidden state='on'/>
    </kvm>

Note that if you have "fast startup" enabled in Windows, and it's enabled by default, first boot after the change will still have the problem, you need to re-start the VM (not shutdown and turn on again).

P.S. besides the code 43 issue I also had to dump the VBIOS to use the GTX670 with v6.10, but that's a different issue since there's no display output without it.

4 hours ago, JorgeB said:

@songI can replicate your issue with a GTX670, works fine with v6.9 and get code 43 after updating to v6.10, I found that this works for me, please try it, edit the XML and in the features section, below </hyperv> add this:

<kvm>
      <hidden state='on'/>
    </kvm>

Note that if you have "fast startup" enabled in Windows, and it's enabled by default, first boot after the change will still have the problem, you need to re-start the VM (not shutdown and turn on again).

P.S. besides the code 43 issue I also had to dump the VBIOS to use the GTX670 with v6.10, but that's a different issue since there's no display output without it.

Thank you very much. Where do you want to add this string of code?

4 hours ago, JorgeB said:

<kvm>
      <hidden state='on'/>
    </kvm>

Ha ha, that's OK. Thank you very much for your hard work! I will tell this good news in Chinese to my brothers who have the same problems! I would like to ask whether this error will be fixed in the next version update?

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you my GTX 960 had this issue.  This addition solved it for me.  It worked immediately on start....no restart required. 

Background-I had previously used a trimmed rom file as in spaceinvader one's videos and all was working until some point in the last few months.  I presume it was upgrade to 6.10.   Code 43 then.    

the simple kvm key add above with no other changes or drivers.

Edited by iannecj
  • Like 1
On 6/18/2022 at 3:07 PM, JorgeB said:

<kvm>
      <hidden state='on'/>
    </kvm>

Thank you very much. It worked also for my GTX 770

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/1/2022 at 12:28 PM, JorgeB said:

It worked for me and I never had the plugin installed.

I think something has covertly changed my xml or something as I did this exact fix marked as solved but when i waked my server from sleep, the vm now doesn't want to boot at all. even with this fix.

I take it should be like this

<features>
    <acpi/>
    <apic/>
    <hyperv mode='custom'>
      <relaxed state='on'/>
      <vapic state='on'/>
      <vendor_id state='on' value='none'/>
    </hyperv>
    <kvm>
      <hidden state='on'/>
    </kvm>
  </features>

Even with the xml set like this, it fails to boot and I get

2022-08-01T11:36:43.432586Z qemu-system-x86_64: vfio_err_notifier_handler(0000:2d:00.0) Unrecoverable error detected. Please collect any data possible and then kill the guest

The only thing I have done is removed the nvdia plugin and that was it. it seams to have had issues waking from sleep.

After trying out the fix and brefly working, I have (once again) downgraded to 6.9 its strange as if the m.2 drive cant boot. tianocore really need to fix these kind of issues. I wonder if unraid do patch the issue they could submit a merge request so that others will receive the same fix?

Edited by Goldmaster
  • 2 months later...
On 6/18/2022 at 6:40 PM, song said:

Ha ha, that's OK. Thank you very much for your hard work! I will tell this good news in Chinese to my brothers who have the same problems! I would like to ask whether this error will be fixed in the next version update?

I hope @limetech can add this as default as a slight fix. Just testing Windows 11 as a vm and this fix solved it for me as i had code 43 errors. i take it that nvidia is making it much harder to run gpus in a vm envioment?

• 1 year later...
On 7/4/2022 at 9:49 AM, iannecj said:

Thank you my GTX 960 had this issue.  This addition solved it for me.  It worked immediately on start....no restart required. 

Background-I had previously used a trimmed rom file as in spaceinvader one's videos and all was working until some point in the last few months.  I presume it was upgrade to 6.10.   Code 43 then.    

the simple kvm key add above with no other changes or drivers.

@iannecj I have the same card (GTX 960) and am having the same error 43. I tried the KVM "patch" from @JorgeB but to no avail. Is there anything else you did to get your card to work on Windows 10? Note, I do have built-in graphics on my motherboard (ASPEED) as well. Do you have your IOMMU grouped for the GTX card? When I tried to group them (before I tried the KVM "patch") I wasn't able to boot the VM at all. Just threw an error and crashed.

• 4 weeks later...

I recently updated from 6.9 to 6.12 and suddenly my GTX 650 stopped working in my windows VM. Error 43 as described in here but sadly the hidden flag fix doesn't work for me. Just to be sure I even installed a new W10 VM but without avail, error 43 persists. Any new information / ideas how to get the old card to work again?

Or even information on how to find out if a card will work? I have no issue buying another GPU but would suck if that gets the error 43 too...